I don't want to link a mobile phone number just to purchase an expansion

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Metanis, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Metanis Bad Company

Previously pre-ordered TBL for our 2 main accounts. Was intending to pre-order for our remaining 4 alt accounts. However when I try to click through to finish the pre-order I get a message about "unusual activity" and it wants to force me to enter a cell phone number.

Only a company like DBG would put roadblocks in the way of completing a routine transaction like this.

I guess it's time to retire the alts.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I ordered TBL and got no such prompt.
  3. AnzoRagespirit Augur

If I have to do this when I order the new xpac I'll quit EQ. Go ahead with the " it's like 2 seccinds of your time " be, cause at this point I could care less, this game has taken a turn for the worst. I've been on an EQ vacation for about a month now and honestly. This kinda thing right here...these minor inconveniences, are making me not even want to come back.
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

I don't see the issue, that's actually a common practice among online retailers? When I tried ordering a $1,600 camera lens direct from Canon, they outright canceled the order and made me call to place the order since I was a new direct customer.

Fraud is rampant nowadays, how do they know you're not some person that just stole some accounts and/or someone's credit card? They could even be using an over the counter fraud detection service that just has repetitive behavior like that flagged.

If it bothers you that much you could try calling DBG?
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ha!
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is no phone number for Daybreak.

You are only prompted to set up two step authorization if there is suspicious activity on your account. Like making too many purchases at one time or when the accounts are too new and then making too many transactions. This could include krono, expansions and DB cash.

There are many who never see this screen or are never prompted to set up the mobile number. Perhaps if you try it one at a time. Or some time in between. I know that won't help for pre orders but then again it helps sometimes to plan ahead.
  7. AlmarsGuides Augur

The suspicious activity thing is just their standard message when you don't have a phone number on your account. Even if there is no suspicious activity they still give you that message.

Also adding a phone number to your account is now required if you want to log in through the patcher or make a purchase, get an answer when submitting a support ticket etc etc. If you don't add a phone number to your account within a year or so after getting that message, they ban the account until you submit a ticket and ask what you did wrong. That's what happened to me and a dozen or more boxer friends I have that didn't feel like adding a cell phone number to over a dozen accounts.

Luckily though once you add the cell phone number they unban your account and you're good to go.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I beg to differ with you on that one AlmarsGuides: I make many purchases, log in thru patcher every few hours every day on many accounts - paid and F2P that I own - old and new and submit many tickets and never have entered a cell phone number or been asked for one.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. Belexes ForumQuester

I have two accounts and never had to enter a phone number. I am one of those people who haven't and never will own a cell phone.

I have never had issues with transactions.
  10. Funnything Journeyman

I wouldnt do it either, many many people have said after doing the 2FA they were automatically banned. It seems like if you get this message you are lining yourself up for a ban if you follow through, then they will have your phone number on file for future accounts to ban as well. It's not a good system.
  11. Duddles Lorekeeper

AlmarsGuides I LOVE your website thank you for doing all that hard work!!!

That said. None of what you said is correct. I have had an account since Norrath time began (in fact 7 accounts) and NEVER been asked for a cellular telephone number.

Never, not once.

This warning is given out when people share accounts whether they wish to admit it or not. It is that simple.

"Also adding a phone number to your account is now required if you want to log in through the patcher or make a purchase, get an answer when submitting a support ticket etc etc. "

No. NONE of my accounts have a phone number anywhere on them. No phone number is required and and no phone number required ever has been.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I don't know why all the hysteria and fear. It's a phone number. In all likelihood you've already unwittingly given your phone number to a third party for marketing and research, or someone has sold your information. Every click you make online is tracked and stored, every purchase compiled in a database which is sold and resold to other marketers and retailers.

"But what about my data?!?!?! I don't want people knowing what I'm doing."

It's far, far too late for that. Unless you plan on living off-grid, using only cash, and never owning another piece of technology, you are in the Matrix. For better or worse. This is reality.

You aren't a special case. You aren't interesting. Your phone number is one of billions. Daybreak asking for your phone number is no more nefarious than a retailer scanning your ID for a credit card purchase.

To be clear, I am not advocating that we throw caution to the wind. A dose of reasonable caution is always advised. In this case, however, I believe you may be a bit overzealous.
    klanderso likes this.
  13. Havanap Elder

Fear yes. Hysteria no, that implies irrational fear. The fears here are quite rational. Weak systems guarding internal databases are exploited every day through high and low tech means, and gigabytes of personally identifiable information are leaked yearly.

Say you use your cell phone for the 2FA on your bank's web site, and you also use it for the 2FA on site B. Say someone gets hold of site B's database and now has your name and phone number and in bad cases your address and other contact details. Then they could attempt to perpetrate this current scam. Now they hold the key to the 2FA on your bank's web site.

Err on the side of paranoia, for now, unless you know exactly what you are doing.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Could be there is dissension on this issue due to DBG's big bug they had in Feb 2017 when the system bugged out on this same two step verification and pushed many accounts into this process while also thereby blocking them and banning many. Or we could use the time the I phones updated their software and blocked 90% of the people in EQ using 2 - step verification already. Now lets add the previous hack that happened when everyone had to change their password on their accounts a few years ago.

Agree with ILovemybandwith - Yeah I can see why folks don't want to use it but its not that big of a deal really.
  15. Newbasaurus Journeyman

I got that prompt a WHILE ago on one of my accounts. I have never shared any of my accounts info with people. I can't remember if I figured out why I got the prompt, but what are you going to do if you want to play. I also know that over the lifetime of that account I only ever logged in on my computer (at the time, which changed over the years a few times).
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Then anyone who fears data loss best stay off the internet. Don't use credit cards or any personally-identifying data for anything.

The situation you describe is a remote possibility. So is dying from an airplane crash. Does that mean you err on the side of paranoia and refuse to fly?

To me, erring on the side of paranoia IS hysteria.
  17. spiderbutter New Member

This is a normal practice so they can confirm it is actually you ordering a game expansion. I also get a code from google when i actually log in and they send me a via code through my phone confirming is this really you. I can`t believe you act like a child over a simple practice.
  18. spiderbutter New Member

19. spiderbutter New Member

This is a normal practice to prevent fraud. If i log in certain accounts they ask for a code via cell phone. Once you enter such code you can log in to account
  20. Havanap Elder

Bottom line is it's your data and your responsibility. Just don't assume it's being well looked after - and even if it is, mistakes happen. Take it upon yourself to decide who gets to know what. Educate yourself about current scams, or cultivate a relationship with a well-informed nerd.