Pal vs sk

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Damezza, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Damezza Augur

How do the two compare in box activity? In playing any tank am i doomed to having that character up
    On my screen most of the time? Or can some tanks be macroed up easier than others?
  2. Brohg Augur

If either knight , or any other class with spells , isn't casting constantly, then they're performing substantially below potential
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

If you are boxing you will always have toons below max potential. Between the two I found sk easiest to box since I could load up on insta cast dotts and switch over to my other toons and still keep aggro on the sk.
  4. Gnomereaper Augur

Shadowknight for the dps and utility and self healing abilities currently.
  5. Axel2 Journeyman

Shadowknights have self-healing abilities? Last time I checked they had to target a mob to use a lifetap (or themselves, but will probably get resisted/won't work). Paladins have self-healing abilities.
  6. S33k3r Augur

So a SK lifetapping a mob is not a self-healing ability ?

I swear my brain cells die reading some of the stuff people post.
    Craized and Sinzz-Wickedley like this.
  7. Khat_Nip Meow

If you take it out of context then I suppose it could be
  8. Axel2 Journeyman

I don't consider it to be, since it requires more than yourself. It requires you + a mob. Did you literally not read my post?

You talk about brain cells dying but I think they might already be long dead.
  9. Brohg Augur

What you "consider it to be" is at odds with the lived reality of shadowknighting. You can make your own hp bar go up instead of down - that's self healing. The distinction you're trying to make is nonsense fooling no one but yourself
  10. S33k3r Augur

If the mob was not there I would not need the healing :)

Having to target/damage the mob does not take away from the fact that the SK casts a lifetap and he is healed. This is a key part of being a SK, they damage their enemies and steal their health to heal themselves (& sometimes their group).

You may not consider it self healing but if you look at all the posts comparing SK/Paladin self healing I cannot remember anyone arguing that a SK cannot self heal because they need a mob.
  11. Voxvixen Journeyman

How much can an SK 'heal' their group?
  12. Gotcharms Journeyman

You probably don't want to box a Paladin. They take a lot of attention to even hit the "this is passable" marker.

Taking full advantage of an SK's potential also requires full attention, but it's much easier to box if you're OK with not chain pulling 10 mobs at a time. Between Tylix's Skin (large per-hit damage mitigation), Bond of Whatever (lifetap over time), passive buffs of various kinds that proc lifetaps, you have a lot of survivability to passively help your SK stay alive. Combine that with an easy AE aggro rotation that you could get away with macroing, and the SK makes a strong box tank.

And this dumb lifetap discussion is dumb. If you ask a (good) SK "hey, can you keep yourself healed?" the answer is yes. That being said, doing so requires full attention on the SK, so it isn't even relevant to this discussion about a box tank the OP doesn't want to pay any attention to.
    Thadious and S33k3r like this.
  13. S33k3r Augur

Not a lot but we do get a few abilities :-

[Sat Dec 08 12:36:40 2018] You healed Crow for 5471 hit points by Vicious Bite of Chaos Recourse XI.
    [Sat Dec 08 12:36:50 2018] Crow is healed by stolen life. You healed Crow for 24942 hit points by Cascading Theft of Life X.
    [Sat Dec 08 12:37:41 2018] Sknight's body pulses with health. You healed Sknight for 3752 (29123) hit points by Reflected Revulsion III.
    [Sun Dec 02 22:29:52 2018] Darkform healed you for 612 (4397) hit points by Xalgoz's Bite Recourse II.
  14. Dreadmore Augur

I have both my PAL and SHD on mash keys using multibind. They both do well. They need slightly more attention for the same scenarios: adds, DPS burning, additional mitigation, and so on.

Don't do macros. Macros suck for tanks.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Just wanted to mention a couple of instances where the distinction between a paladin's true healing abilities stand out when compared to an SK's taps:
    • When the fight is done and you still have a dot on you that you can't cure. SK has no way to save themself other than to pull another mob (besides very limited and minor clickies).
    • Against magic-resistant mobs, where the SK's taps do not land.
    Are they both "self healing"? I don't care how you define that. But there's clearly a difference in practice that sometimes matters.

In my experience, only negligibly and passively. The only controllable heal abilities that we get are the "bite" abilities (spell and AA), which are relatively tiny. And our epic will definitely allow any melee group mates to help heal themselves.

But an SK won't replace a true healer for your group. A pally might (but then, they aren't focusing on tanking or DPS if they are healing).
  16. Brohg Augur

I've guild mates playing both knight classes that think nothing of tanking for groups without dedicated healers. An SK can't replace a healer in a group ... but he can replace the (presumably warrior?) tank, in a group without a healer. A paladin can take the place of group healer ... or just take over tanking themselves.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

This I totally believe. But even though I can keep myself alive as an SK, I would most definitely not feel confident about keeping a group alive (like if they were taking AE damage of any sort).
  18. S33k3r Augur

Not sure where SK acting as a group healer came from but all I posted was that they stole health to heal themselves, sometimes they healed their group but not a lot.

If I'm on my SK I will go without a healer if a guildee is lfg and I can handle the mobs that I am pulling. Although sometimes I've had the wrong merc up and just thought that mobs were hitting harder than normal (normally occurs when I'm playing after a good night out).
  19. took2summit11 Augur

I have a pal vs SK question so thought I would post it here. I am specifically wondering about the refute/protective line that the tanks cast. SKs version puts an ac buff on themselves, while pal mitigate 10% melee damage (i am guessing the SK ac is equivalent to about 10% dmg?). The main question I have is it seems the SK version has a set duration, while the pal one can, and does, fade very quickly since it has a damage cap. Assuming both refutes are roughly 10%, is there a reason to limit the pals version to dmg mitigated? It seems it would be more fair to remove the dmg cap piece on the pal version and just have it be a set duration. Now, if the pal is 10%, and the AC the SK gives is, say, 5% equivalent dmg mitigation, then I could see it being fair that the pal need to work significantly harder to keep their recourse on. Does anyone have more information on this, or is this just yet another area pal get the major shaft?
  20. p2aa Augur

10 % of hits is better than 800 AC. This is why there is a dmg cap on paladin's one. If it would be a flat 10 % with no dmg cap and last 30 sec-1 min 12, this would be very much better than 800 AC for 1 min 12.
    Especially for a recast time of 3,5 sec. It would mean paladins would get a permanent 10 % hits reduction with no dmg cap.