Getting Taxxed now for playing EQ ??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Starry, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Starry Journeyman

Its been brought to m attention that we re now getting taxxed ??? Its been 14.99 for s long as ive been playing this game which is over 10 years now a tax has been snuck in WTH!!
  2. Aaliyahkenz Journeyman

Blame the Supreme Court not Daybreak :p
    Thunderkiks, moogs, Roxxlyy and 2 others like this.
  3. KermittheFroglok Augur

Barton likes this.
  4. svann Augur

My last payment was still $14.99 so maybe not a US thing?
    iiuc, most states do not charge sales tax on services unless the service is specifically listed.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Buri Augur

We've been getting away with not paying tax on the Internet for a long time now, and if you look at the big picture, it's causing economic harm. Sure we'd all like to pay no taxes, but those taxes pay for a lot of stuff we take for granted. You've all heard the numbers, the huge amount of commerce that's taking place on the net... that's a LOT of missing tax that's not going toward our roads, our schools, etc. It's also contributing to the decline of small businesses. It's hard to even find a physical book store any more, for example. I know of many that have shut down, just around me
    I guess what I'm getting at is that I think most internet purchases should be taxed. I know I'll probably get bashed for saying that, but like I said, I'm looking at the big picture, not just how it affects me today..

That said, I do not think subscriptions should be taxed, in the same way that labor is not taxed, because it's a service, not a physical commodity. If it were a magazine subscription, then yes it should, because you're receiving physical goods for your money, but for a virtual item? No...
  6. strongbus Augur

I get it now on my subs. was 14.99 now 15.81. Whats funny is it is not a sales tax. contacted my states dept for that. Nope. But after the SCOTUS ruling a few states started a new tax on internet stuff that not consider a sales tax. but is the same amount.
  7. Tiggold Augur

It is state specific in the US. Just had to pay 27 cents for a Steam purchase of $5. Fortunately we voted to reduce income tax.
  8. Lianeb Augur

you prolly live in Minisota
  9. Tiggold Augur

Never heard of her.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

You americans have no idea what being heavily taxed means! :p ;-)

Luckily we get good worth out of it, but sales tax is 25%, highest income tax bracket is 62% (in reality nobody pays that though because tax deductions etc), car tax 150%, etc etc.

#worldshighestincometaxes #denmarkstaxes>yourtaxes #taxbragging
  11. Sancus Augur

:eek:
  12. kizant Augur

A service remained the same price for over 10 years. Wheres the celebration about that?
    Robnie and CatsPaws like this.
  13. Karanthal Augur

We used to get the game tax free in the UK once upon a time. I can't remember now how long ago that changed, probably 10+ years.
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

And recently lowered from 180%
    Cars are very small in Denmark ;-).
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

Roger that
  16. Nolrog Augur

A rose by any other name would still be a rose. . . . (Bill something or other).
  17. strongbus Augur

a tax is a tax. just seems some state are not calling it a sales tax but a internet tax or such.
  18. svann Augur

What state you in?
  19. strongbus Augur

maine
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]

Put it in H!