New Character on a new Server, what would you focus on?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Nov 19, 2018.

1. hein Augur

Image if you will, that you have played this game since launch, miss the enjoyment of it, but have been unable to enjoy it for the last many years. I'm considering starting completely over, leaving FV and creating a new character on a new server. Maybe Vox.

What would you focus on? My goal is not to get to max level, I don't even have the last 3 expansions. I would also remain F2P. This could all change if I could some how find a sense of purpose within the game again. Right now, I just want to enjoy the game and I need that carrott to chase, that doesn't involve getting to max level, spend a ton of cash and raid 4 hours a night. What would you do? What would you focus on, if you started completely fresh today?
    Praetorian1, andross77 and snailish like this.
  2. Rainlover Augur

I would just look to play something different, pick a class other then the one(s) I have focused on much of that time, and try to see the group / solo game from a different direction; it sounds like your not about optimization as much as you are about finding that love, and i think that may be hiding in something new, but you have been curious about.
  3. Laronk Augur

Try to make friends,
    If you haven't done it try to do the quests in heroes journey
    Use the lfg tool
  4. Derka Power Ranger

You won't have to spend that time raiding on Vox since we don't have a raid guild heh. Low population but very good people there. You will most likely find people to group with at the various level ranges but it could be sparse at times. The nice thing is there really isn't much competition for camps and drops!
    Praetorian1 likes this.
  5. snailish Augur

So many ways to play the game... so try some different ones.

-play an original race/class to 20 only in original era zones & gear (won't be a slow as progression, but still much more of a climb than tutorial start or Crescent Reach or twinking).

-Plan a tour and don't move up zones until you have "beaten" every level 25 zone on your list. Or make the list and you have to get to level 30 before leaving the list. Purposely leave the easy/obvious leveling path off this list.

-set content goals... Sol Ro class quests done by level 30 or no XPing till they are done. Do the old newbie armor, farmed a slime crystal staff (well that could make you quit...).

-twink the new character like mad, roll a merc and steamroller stuff. This can be fun, it is different to do than on FV, and different again if you have a high level campfire you into drops you have no real right to be near.

-Have you gone 1-75 in Crescent Reach? There's a lot of depth to it if you do the content (defiant obsoletes most of it).

-new classes and odd combos (to what you have done before) can really help with the interest... especially if you have avoided certain archetypes or classes.
    andross77 likes this.
  6. Rickate Augur

Focusing on something creates a goal, what the something is doesn't really matter.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=8112

It's crap, 105ac and 60hp for a full set of vis armor, Ornate Defiant BP and Legs are 94ac and 149hp and since f2p can't play on progression you'll have those and other Defiant drops long before you complete the Twilight Sea armor set. The benefit is you create a chase item out of Delicate Glass Sculpture and other items and have the "exciting" moment when it drops. If for some reason you decide that it's not enough excitement change goals or pick a different one initially.

Once you have a goal and structure you have potential relevance to other players, ;general if anyone wants Tenebrous Mountains Hunter send tell for invite. Once TBL launches there will most likely be increased interest in Hunter ach or even already if people rely on Beta information. Ideally you come across someone who doesn't just want to be in group in another zone but would like to hunt with you, you could potentially get the plat drop of a few RoS mobs as a thank you for the ach which will solve any issues you have with maintaining a merc, buying spells, 10 slot bags or even premium items like Gate potions.

You might also get a tell saying that someone is looking for some TS item from Tenebrous or suggest that it would be worth your while to kill Sand Giants instead of staying in Tenebrous since they want to buy Essence of Sunlight and you will have a choice between a short and long term goal. You might get a tell offering a guild invite from someone who points out they have a number of people who do obscure quests in the guild.

Camping A Coterie Dragoon or Deka the Reaper is largely the same thing. One requires owning the current expansion, quite possibly requires multiple characters, might require winning a random roll even if the mob does drop the item you crave and creates a goal of EM19 that's fundamentally the same as a goal of making a Darkened Knight's Breastplate. Have fun playing a game.

The reason to set a goal like DKB is that's the way when new to a server to quite possibly be the most powerful player pursuing that goal and create demand for your Hunter, TS farming or whatever tasks that can overlap or supersede your choice of content. While skill might allow you to stand out in some hotzone most likely the twinks, players with a Heroic out of group Druid and such will make more of an impression and it can easily be a larger benefit to provide a Level 110 with 30ach points than a Level 35 with faster XP while your personality can impress either as that doesn't require being in the same zone.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

Play a class you have never played or have little experience playing. In doing so visit old zones instead of doing the conventional TSS path to make it a little more interesting. Only use what you earn instead of shopping in the bazaar to make the early levels feel a little more meaningful. Avoid power levels or help with exception to maybe getting into an actual level appropriate group. Work on progression while in level whenever possible either. Basically this will provide a new EQ experience playing it from a different perspective than you have previously had while visiting zones that you maybe have not experienced or have not experienced in a very long time. I did this a couple months ago spending a week leveling up a BL and it was pretty fun. Not knowing anyone or having access to my resources from my toons made it a little more challenging.
    Praetorian1 likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I've played a few alts over the years and everytime I create a new one I try and level somewhere I haven't levelled before, do all the class quest in the home town and any others in zones I go to. If you haven't already done it do heros path.I do try not to give them items and make them survive as I did with my first ever char.

There is so much to EQ that so many players miss by racing to max level or starting a hero char at level 85. EQ is bottom heavy and has so much for lower level chars to do. Enjoy the ride, the stories, the lore and the quests.

Have fun.....I feel a new alt coming on. LOL
    Praetorian1 likes this.
  9. bigpapa Augur

that is the part I can't figure .
    I got so many plats there and I don't raid in FV. I am selling only group game items , and raid items worth MUCH more .

I just hope it is not 4 hours every days ( 7 a week ).
    I much prefer raiding than group game , but it is me preference . I would not like to raid 7 days a week for sure.

if you really spending a lot of cash playing in FV, be prepared to spend much more elsewhere ( ** not if staying FTP** ) .

btw as FTP, imo casters is the way to go since they are not much gear dependant ( if considering soloing most of the time ).

as FTP I would probably play a shaman or mage , necro or ranger. ( would be my choices ).
  10. Silver-Crow Augur

If I were to start from scratch again, I would start on Phinny.

The reasons.
    - Live server xp rates.
    - AOC's and Picks meaning there's none of that nonsense about racing for raid mobs. This will make it the premier Raid Server when Phinny catches up with live.
    - There are a 11 viable raid guilds covering all timezones and playstyles working on current content. There are also other smaller guilds working on the older content.
    - Like all servers the game is top heavy, but the current Level Cap is only 80, so easy to catch up.
    - Mercs Unlock in January
    - There's plenty of people making cultural armor so you can get a base set of gear really easily. Raid gear gets replaced from expansion to expansion, so you're never really that far behind in gear.
    - The server is currently on the SOF expansion, so it's past the dreaded lvl 70 hump omens to Ro. In addition you don't need to buy any expansions, as you've already bought them up to this point.
    snailish and andross77 like this.
  11. Gana Augur

It would really depend on what I was in the mood to do. But usually I would...
    • Play through all the quests/achievements in a zone before I moved on if it were possible.
    • Level in zones I don't normally use.
    • Play a race/class combo that I haven't played
    • Try to find a leveling partner/group
    • Tradeskill (this usually means my leveling partner/group outpaces me)
    Things I have never done that I may want to try...
    • BIS in all slots
    • BIC (I do quests all the time, but never did this one)
    • Complete all expansions prior to moving to the next one (all quests/raids included)
    • Max all TS including trophies
    • Have all illusions
    • Complete all epics (through 2.0...I think 2.5 with all classes would be a bit tedious)
    • Eat a whole Family size box of Captain Crunch with Crunchberries in a single sitting
    • Binge watch Game of Thrones (no idea why I never got into that show)
  12. Tucoh Augur

13. jeskola pheerie

Cyb0rsex
  14. code-zero Augur

I have to say that while claiming that you're not interested in max level might sound somehow "pure" that achieving max level is going to help by opening up territory and achievements that you are never going to get to by dawdling along. Use /ach in game and take a look at all the different achievements you can aspire too. There's a lot of them, When my wizard alt was 105 I solo'd most of the wizard epic and got in groups for Anguish for the orbs and even that was hardly difficult.

Probably a Necro would be the best if you're soloing a lot. Map out a path with real goals. Not reaching max level is not a goal at all and shouldn't be in your mindset. Instead if you get to something too difficult then make a note to come back in 5 levels and make another run at it.