Sympathetic augs and their slot types

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ravanta Suffer, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Most (maybe all?) sympathetic augs that I've seen such as bone shards of frozen marrow, ancient diamond spellcharm, heart of narikor, etc are slot 4/8.

There's only one exception to this that I've seen, and it's a completely worthless augment especially if the person is a raider.

I'm wondering why they are slot 4 and 8. Shouldn't they also have slot7 included?
  2. Sancus Augur

No. It's so you can use two proc augs in raid 2HB's, but one in group 2HB's.
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Hmm, I had not considered that...the only time I use a weapon other than epic is when I pull out the willsapper, or during the sathir event I'll sometimes pop in a 2hander that has a sympathetic 9k ice proc for the goos.

It is mostly the shield slot that I'm feeling the woes on...primarily I use a tome of obulus, which has a slot7 since it's not invested. Oh well, sometimes we can't have everything.
  4. Rickate Augur

In the beginning augs could only be all slots or a single slot, they also couldn't be removed. This required work arounds like the quest to convert the Type 7 random drop HP or Mana augs from LDoN into Type 8 and the option to hail for a new BiC aug which led to the creation of lore groups. The option was then created for augs that fit in more than one slot but not all slots. Multi-slot augs essentially eliminates "group augs" as they are now "augs for any gear from group content" with almost all exceptions being from DoDH Monster Missions and Level 60 and lower hotzones. TBS design decision was to eliminate "raid augs" where the 90 to 140hp of common augs from Anguish, Demi and TSS minis along with the abundance of Mod2 was considered appropriate in raid gear but not in gear like:

Belt of the Black Cliff
    AC: 29 HP: 225 + 2/tick MANA: 205 END: 180 ATK: 10 Avoid 5 or 2 hAgi
    WIS: 14 INT: 14 DEX: 14 AGI: 14 CHA: 14
    SV FIRE: 13 SV COLD: 13 SV POISON: 13 SV DISEASE: 13
    Slot 1, type 7: Hivegrime Stone of Swiftness/Gracefulness

Belt of the Black Cliff
    AC: 29 HP: 290 + 2/tick MANA: 270 END: 180 ATK: 10 Avoid 15 or 4 hAgi
    WIS: 14 INT: 14 DEX: 14 AGI: 14 CHA: 14
    SV FIRE: 13 SV COLD: 13 SV POISON: 13 SV DISEASE: 13
    Slot 1, type 7: Rune of Astral Celerity

Following the game design principles Slot 4 and Slot 7 wouldn't exist on any piece of gear with at least 1000hp, it's a relic from when part of game design was a significant portion of the stats coming from the Slot 7 or 8. Raid augs created a balance issue which would require tuning content based on the assumption that a TSS era group had farmed Anguish minis or tuning content so that it would be fairly trivial if you had the raid augs. Even the Left Eye of Sul a rare recent single slot aug is a drop in the bucket in TBM group gear.

Feral Tatters
    AC: 211 HP: 3218 + 4/tick MANA: 3166 + 3/tick END: 3166 ATK: 26
    STA: 29 + 33 STR: 30 + 29 WIS: 33 + 31 INT: 27 + 29 DEX: 36 + 28 AGI: 30 + 30 CHA: 25 + 51
    SV FIRE: 48 SV COLD: 48 SV MAGIC: 48 SV POISON: 48 SV DISEASE: 48
    Heal Amount: 40 Spell Dmg: 40 Clairvoyance: 50
    Slot 2, type 5: Resplendent Sulstone of Stability
    Slot 3, type 7: Bonegrinder's Bauble

Feral Tatters
    AC: 231 HP: 3418 + 4/tick MANA: 3386 + 3/tick END: 3386 ATK: 26
    STA: 29 + 33 STR: 30 + 29 WIS: 48 + 44 INT: 42 + 42 DEX: 36 + 28 AGI: 42 + 40 CHA: 40 + 63
    SV FIRE: 48 SV COLD: 48 SV MAGIC: 48 SV POISON: 48 SV DISEASE: 48
    Heal Amount: 40 Spell Dmg: 40 Clairvoyance: 50
    Slot 2, type 5: Resplendent Sulstone of Stability
    Slot 3, type 7: Left Eye of Sul

Sure, Left Eye is better than Bonegrinder or even the ~20th best aug someone might have during TBM but you have reasonable parity between the items while Rune of Astral Celerity and other Anguish mini augs considerably increase TSS group stats.

The 1050 Symp DD of Bone Shards of Frozen Marrow being added onto the base spell, Primary, Primary aug(s), sometimes Secondary, possibly Shawl and in a handful of cases CToV Range with a Silver Token aug doesn't really move the needle. Raidloot isn't necessarily accurate but:

Conflagrant: 1h Symp 9k dd and 2h Symp 9k dd
    Phlogiston: 1h Symp 4.4k dd and 2h Symp 11k dd

The apparent mistake on the Bodkin is a much larger than the benefit of a 2nd Symp proc in a group 2h, group Shield or Tome of Obulus and to the best of my knowledge wasn't a significant factor in the speed that players progressed through the expansion.

As of now in TBL both Slot 16 and Slot 17 are appearing on non-vis gear so don't expect the end of Slot 4/7 which is incredibly easy to accomplish with any expansion, make all Slot 4 and 7 into Slot 8, make all Slot 13 into Slot 14, make all Slot 17 into 16. If someone goes "oh noes, I can't use my Brraaaaainss! aug in TBL group gear" that's unfortunate but they probably should have been looking to upgrade the aug anyways.

Fixing the augs is more complex because you're going back through thousands of items and updating them and you also have to consider prog servers, while Level 70 characters with Assurance and other buffs aren't really getting a meaningful benefit from Anguish augs.

Why the aug doesn't fit in your Tome of Obulus is because copy/paste it didn't fit in EoK group shield, or TBM or TDS or CotF.... but one day a Dev might notice that gear doesn't look like Belt of the Black Cliff anymore and simplify itemization accordingly.