whats up with zam?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by svann, Sep 21, 2018.

1. svann Augur

Paying customer.
    Lags when I use zam search whether I use firefox or edge - so its not firefox's fault.
    They also admitted there is a problem so please quit trying to blame the users and/or claim "everything is fine".

The solution is to do the search on google or any other search engine, which will give you a direct link to the zam item's page and wont lag. This solution was given by a zam rep. It works.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You are conflating two different issues.

Yes, they are currently having an issue with the search. Using a search engine to get to the page is a workaround.

The other issue is simply being too stubborn to use an ad blocker or to sub. Or in the one case, sounds like he has issues with his particular comp.
  3. Feznik Elder

Not even sure why people pay for zam. Save the $9 a year, the website isn't what it used to be.
    Geroblue likes this.
  4. bob2 Journeyman

til there's a better option
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

I pay for it for the recipes. Especitally if you are working that damnable Artisans Prize. Whats 9 bucks? You piss that away and more at Starbucks or the bar.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Gremin Augur

Been a paying customer for 7 years. As of late the time it takes for loading is ridiculous.
  7. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Searchbox is operational again minus wiki pages in the results. You can search wiki pages using the wiki search tool under Wiki at the top of the site.

The site slow downs the past few days have been caused by some botnets hitting some of the allakhazam sites. Server ops have been dealing with them. They have tools in place now to help with issues and we'll keep working on it.
    svann likes this.
  8. svann Augur

Just checked and its like night and day difference. I click a search and it just works! Thanks so much.
    :)
  9. macncheesey Journeyman

any estimate on when the website will be fully functional again?
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Afaic the poor performance is mostly with the search function. To workaround that failure, I've been using the browser's search engine and clicking on direct page links that load just fine.

For example, search for "site:everquest.allakhazam.com <terms>" until ZAM gets their search backend fixed up.
  11. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

We fixed the search box yesterday for everything but wiki pages. Let us know if you run into any other problems.
    a_librarian likes this.
  12. a_librarian Augur

Search working again! praise god
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thanks for the updates I did notice one day search wasn't working. Really appreciate all the volunteers who work on Zam.

I still get a lot of use out of Zam and and very glad it is still going strong.
    snailish likes this.
  14. svann Augur

Well it was fixed. It was really nice for a few weeks.
    Now its gummed up again. Searches take forever. Also, item search effects menu pulldown takes a long time to actually pulldown. Tried on firefox and chrome.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The site is at the moment working just fine for me, including search.

I'm guessing that the "item search effects menu pulldown" is a premium only search, so I can't comment on whether it is working.

I hope Alla's will be able to find the time to do https soon :cool:.
  16. svann Augur

IDK, maybe a clue to what is going on:
    when the browser was 'stuck' this morning I noticed in the bottom left it said
    read www.zamimg.com
    Out of curiosity I tried going directly to that address using all 3 browsers and it seems like it doesnt exist. Could that be something they used to use but dropped?
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Having problems again here too. Google something and click on the Alla one and just a broken page comes up - partially loaded. Can click new comments and then the page loads ok.
    Barton likes this.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

everything on zam is working good for me. nomore google search as the normal search is working good again.

Andarriel
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I use google all the time anyway to get a variety of website responses - like eq resource - eq traders - guild sites etc. I did not switch to it when Alla was having search issues before. So what I meant was not the search that was wonky but the actual Alla pages when clicking on them from a general search. But I digress as all is working fine again:)
    Andarriel likes this.
  20. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

The ops team might have been working on zamimg.com domain to get it switched over to using a cert. That's what I told them I wanted to work on next is getting the cert first for the cdn server (zam.zamimg.com) so our tooltips work on SSL enabled sites and then all the allakhazam domain sites.
    Fanra likes this.