Luck

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We are not backfilling luck. It is a Burning Lands feature, and thus Burning lands and onwards.

It is not race, or class based in any way, but item based.
  2. Snowman Augur

this is gona be a nightmare for all officers in raid guilds with people always wanting the best items
    Cazmac, Teylana, Barton and 1 other person like this.
  3. Risiko Augur

I'm genuinely curious as to how giving you the chance to have a better affect than you already have going to make the game worse?
    Cazmac and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  4. Risiko Augur

Isn't that the point of DKP in the first place?
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Horyuken Augur

Their can be only one!!!!!! #1!
  6. Eckish Lorekeeper

In terms of item design, what does this mean for the future of the lore tag?
  7. Horyuken Augur

The have two now, Lore and Lore equipped. You can have 2 items but can only equip one of them.
  8. Kazz99 Elder

That was my question....
  9. Kazz99 Elder

Ok, answered while I quoted it!
  10. Tiggold Augur

DKP.....lol
  11. Redrum_Redrum Augur

Does this mean Named and raid chests will have a chance to drop more items to elevate massive time sinks and named permanent camps?
    Teylana and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think it will be worse because of:
    • Competition between players for limited mob camps. Are you going to leave a named camp until you have the highest Luck possible on the drop you want?
    • Much like the auto-firing Banestrike, Luck makes "success" and "accomplishment" in this game, in terms of gearing, completely RNG-based. This is not skill based. Just dumb old RNG. Now maybe I have better gear than you and it's all based on...luck. There's nothing you can do to catch up to me (especially with Raid lockouts). Why don't they just give us all lottery tickets to see who is the "best" or to see who "works hardest"?
    • Near-impossibility of maxing Luck on raid items (especially without being ridiculously selfish). If the mountain looks impossible to climb, you might not even bother to try climbing it. I think that's going to be me: if it looks like there is no chance of maxing out my Luck stat, I won't even try. And that means I'll lose a big incentive to play, especially if the only way to be "top" is to be selfish.
    I want to wait and hear more before getting too concerned, but I can definitely see some potential issues.
    Cazmac likes this.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

Raid items only be able to increase the LUCK from some different Raid item not the same raid item. less your lowing all Raid lockouts to One HOUR so the raids can be like group camps for the raid items. Else group items will all be LUCK max and raid items will never get maxed.
  14. segap Augur

Here's the idea I had that could make this work better.

1) Add 10 new exp bars. Each tied to a luck item slot
    2) All items of those slots will drop randomly with 1-4 luck on group gear and 2-5 on raid gear. These values could be tuned down if this type of system fills luck faster than they desire.
    3) The new exp bars get filled by handing in luck items (you don't get them back meaning you need an item to wear and you need extra drops for the luck). Each bar requires 5 luck to fill
    4) Luck is held in an AA like item click buffs and heroes AA
    5) Going over the previous expansion's luck limit requires items from the next expansion. This prevents hoarding items to fill the new bar on expansion release. Newer expansions can back fill older expansions.
    6) You must wear an item with luck to activate luck in that slot. They could even do something to give a bonus based on the luck value of that item. The luck cap could also be based on the expansion of the worn item. The issue with that is that it will devalue people doing past expansion raids for better than current group gear items.
    7) No purchases or plat sinks involved

Stacking raid items for luck on raid gear has two issues. First is that it puts a lot more pressure on raid drops for those wanting luck. Especially outside the top 10 or so guilds which tend to take through the summer to just fully gear people once. Secondly, that system doesn't do anything to encourage raiders to spend time in the group game. And although there is usually 3-4 items per non-visible slot, nearly all melee gravitate towards the same item and all casters/healers to a second one leaving unwanted items that go to recruits and alts.

On the group side, the system as is encourages people to hog the same camps. It doesn't spread people out and encourage them to see more of the game. It also creates unintended issues where some camps are always either more difficult or more boring than others. It's bad enough when you want to camp one item from such a camp. But having to camp potentially 3 just adds to the frustration.
  15. Cloudia Augur

waiting for the Clint Eastwood meme
  16. Zamiam Augur

17. xcitng Augur

This luck thing sounds terrible, not looking forward to a future here with a lot of hate & frustration among the players over camps for some stupid thing that shouldn't even be happening.
    Teylana, Mediik, Barton and 3 others like this.
  18. Tappin Augur

Purposely making a game more boring than it was previously, for the purpose of selling you a new feature, is a hallmark of bad game design.
    Barton, Gyurika Godofwar and Slippry like this.
  19. baider Elder

whats to say those players at the camp wont at least allow someone else to loot the item if it is not an upgrade in luck for them, or they can invite them to the group for the kill achievement? I think it will help with making more group chances available for people who are trying to get experience or working on quests.
    This game in the past few expansions got VERY trivial for players at a high end very early on in the expansions so adding something with a more RNG will allow them to do more and also allows players to be more "elite" than just farming, camping, and looting an item or blowing the months and months of dkp on raid items in the first 3 weeks and being max geared. Many other games that are newer make it so characters can be far more customized and "elite" based on a mixture of tons and tons of luck, farming, and wealth. In EQ its basically a set 1-2 items per expansion that are the best and everyone eventually is the exact same.

I dont understand the last point at all, this game has never shown players leaving raid content because it seemed "too difficult" or "impossible", players leave raid content because it is too trivial or becomes boring and 5-10 months of farming items for alts and boxes.
  20. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You feel lucky, punk? Well? Do ya...?

:D
    Andarriel, Cloudia and Yimin like this.