Hello

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Silindistani, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Silindistani New Member

Hello I am an EQ player from years ago. Currently returning to the game and looking for a little advise.
    1) what server would be best for social, group, and guild interests?
    2) what play type is in demand ? Tank / dps/ heals. I used to triple box back
    in the day. Not that I want to this time. Just want 1 character focus.
    3) I read mercenaries are in the game, are they useful or clunky to use like
    pets in other games ?

Thanks for reading. Hope to see people in the game!
    Enjoy
  2. Mary Poppins Augur

Hi and welcome back.

I am probably the wrong person to be answering your questions because I am not actually active in eq anymore (and haven't been for a while), but it's usually a little slow on the weekends and I don't want you to get the impression no one cares.

1) I'm not sure about the servers, but those that do play seem to always mention the progression ones. Agnarr and one of the others I'm always hearing about. There's some difference between them, but I'm not sure what it is... this page has some info on it. I also have heard people recommending Firona Vie or even the test server. Those two don't have as large of a population that the latest progression servers do, but those that play on there have mentioned other benefits and friendly communities and stuff. My understanding is the other regular servers probably won't have as much to offer you unless you have some friends there or plan on joining a specific guild or something. When I do return to eq for short spurts, I go back to the server my characters are on - but that's only because I don't have an interest in starting over.

2) Sorry, I have no idea about what classes. I always recommend wizards out of principle, but I'm sure there are a lot of other options depending on how you want to play. Just don't make a gnome magician.

3) Mercs are good. Or at least they were when I still played. They aren't as good as a real player would be, but they fill a need in a group if you're missing it.

You probably won't ever be seeing me around in-game, but I hope you find something you enjoy and stick with it. Just because I don't actively play eq doesn't mean I don't think it's a great game.
  3. Silindistani New Member

Thank you Marry Poppins. I just finished installing the game while I was taking a nap after work. Will dive in and see what it's all about . I don't know that I will try a progression server since they require being subbed, at least not yet. I may end up going warrior or paladin tank.
    Verily Tjark likes this.
  4. Mary Poppins Augur

Don't call me "Mary"...

Also, I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that test is a good way to get a feel of a full account without a sub.
  5. Verily Tjark Augur

Gnomes are the best. Gnomes can be warrior and paladin.
  6. Mary Poppins Augur

Gnomes are fine. Gnome + Magician... gnot so much.
  7. Yruc Augur

1. What server depends on what type of account you are using. You played back in the day, if you have access to your old account great, you start as "silver" which is better than free to play but not as good as the all access.
    If you do not have access to you old account. Spend the time to get it. It might take a couple days but it is well worth it for the silver account status and the vet rewards.

Go here
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217481518-How-do-I-recover-my-account-
    to recover you old account. Probably have to click that didn't work button to open a ticket, just provide as much info as you can, old address / name on account / last 4 digits of the credit card used (check amazon as they keep old card info on it forever it seems)

If you are free to play - which is fine it just limits the amount of alternative advancement abilities (AAs) you can have and the quality of the mercenaries and which chat channels you can use and some of the "prestige armor". Being free to play to level 100 or so is fine, just gets harder the higher you level, but it can be done (some people level up to about there then pay for 1 month to get the bonus AAs which helps a lot) then let subscription relapse.

Since the game is old the first 100 levels are going to be pretty much solo no matter what server you are on. You might find someone leveling an alt and catch a ride with them, or find a guild that will help out. If you never want to pay for you account may want to check out the test server (while population is extremely low) the people are helpful and you get a lot of the benefits on your account as a paying member does, you just don't have to pay for them but you can just never transfer off test.

If you plan on maybe paying then pick a live server with a high population. Xegony and Friona Vie are the 2 most populous servers.

If you want to group with people like back in the day, you may want to pick one of the TLP servers. but you will have to have a paid account (all access either through subscription or Krono) Agnarr is POP locked and will go no further. Healthy population at all levels though finding a group below 25 maybe hard during the week and a lot better chance during the weekend.
    Coirnav is on Velious and can easily catch up on this server, it will make it to live but will take several years to get there.

2. Really just people who know how to play their characters well.

3. The mercenaries are good from level 1 to 60ish. At level 1 grab a tank mercenary and it will get you to 60 without too many problems. After 60 the monsters increase in power a lot more than the mercenaries and it becomes harder to level. People then turn to boxing and box 2 or 3 characters and then have 2 or 3 mercenaries to help..
  8. Silindistani New Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I have started on FV for now as a paladin and bard combo. Hopefully I enjoy it and keep going. From what I have seen here And in game the community is still as great as ever.
    moogs likes this.
  9. mattie diesel Journeyman

1. opinion but tlp > modern live.
    2. People make usages of just about everything.
    3. Only relevant on modern live, kinda like a party system that's built into soloing in the sake that nobody else is around to group your level, lol.