Frame rate issues...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chandon, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Chandon New Member

Ok, I have a pretty decent desktop computer. 4.3ghz AMD processor, Nvidia 980 top-end card, 16gb ram, 1gb sata-3 SSD, etc.

Problem is the game is becoming almost unplayable, especially on raids with I'm standing with 54 other people who are generating THOUSANDS of lines of text that I cannot turn off. I'm thinking the flow of all this spam is choking up my system's I/O. And, yes I've tried adjusting the logging from real time to 1 or 2 seconds writes without any results. The only thing that helps is to stand about 30+ feet away from everyone then *presto* my frames climb to playable levels. Problem is some of the event strats require that everyone huddle up to avoid stuff, stay alive, so I have to just suffer through it, killing my play response.

One solution would be to add filters to simply KILL all those spam message, like pets getting buffed, healed, among others. For those who need to see these messages for parsing, let us turn on only those items we need. Just a thought !!
  2. Chandon New Member

Err 1TB SSD, lol typo there that I could not correct...
  3. Graves Elder

Your graphics card is beyond overkill for eq. It ain't that.

You have plenty of memory. It ain't that.

The SSD is fine. It ain't that.

4.3ghz AMD processor? There is a world of difference between a 4.3ghz ryzen (that would be unicorn of processors) and their earlier models which to be nice where meh. If it was bought at the same time as the graphics card unfortunately it's one of the meh ones. It could be that. Check task manager to see if one of the processor cores is pinned at 100%. Make sure that EQ is not running on cares 0 or 1. Some setting like shadows hit the cpu hard.

It could well be the spam and/or internet connection speed. Pause downloads while raiding. Tell the family to get off netlix and get a life. Then you can tackle the spam. Much of it you really do not need. Unless there is a trigger associated with it or it is yours/your group's it can probably go.

Move somewhere with better internet.
  4. Febb Augur

Before you get to your raid zone,

/showspell off
    /part off
    Set actor clip plane low. Turn off Heroic Armor.

It doesn't matter if you have a monster graphics card. The particle engine in EQ is garbage and will bring any system to its knees if enough people are around you casting spells, have auras, have items with particle effects.
    Barton likes this.
  5. Graves Elder

You often need environment particles on for raids. Others you can usually turn off though.
  6. Graves Elder

Oh yeah, make sure your log file is not huge. Start a new one regularly.

Add the eq folder as an exception in your AV program.
    Fanra and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the log file is over 1GB.
  8. Aldryn Another New Member

I very highly doubt it’s the size of the log file or graphic settings that are too intensive.

Google how to turn off (or set exceptions for so that the EQ directory isn’t a target of) programs like Windows Defender and Super Fetch. I’d bet my bottom dollar that you’re getting destroyed by those two programs (mainly Defender) trying to live scan all of the changes your log file is going under every single second.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Turn off the journal it does produce the most lag.
    Fanra likes this.
  10. Venalin Journeyman

There's no reason a modern computer like that should be lagging. An odd thing that has completely ridden my laptop and main computer of any lag issues whatsoever is to delete the eqclient.ini file.
    Seriously. It's night and day. Make a copy of the file for safekeeping, and delete the original. Load EQ back up, and revel in the fps! (Assuming that was the problem of course)
  11. Thrillho Augur

I have the same issue. EQ ran fine on my computer when it was running Windows 7, then I (foolishly) upgraded to Windows 10 and my computer was running at a crawl during raids.

I've tried putting my EQ file as an exclusion in my virus scanner. Turned off Windows Defender. Cleaned up / deleted old files and folders. Started new log files. Changed write times. Changed settings in game. You name it, I tried it.

The only two things that worked for me were either turning off logs, which isn't an option for me, or turning off "others" in the logs for game settings. This is beyond putting a filter to a different window and minimizing it, this is done through Options. It will nix all info from the source. The devs are slowly putting in new stuff that doesn't seem to be filterable though, so my lag is slowly increasing with each patch.

A slight inconvenience, since it's sometimes nice to see where you stand in a parse, or provide someone else with an overall for a fight.

If you get it working without turning Others off, please post your solution.
  12. Horyuken Augur

13. Thrillho Augur

No SSD here. Getting one soon, I'll try that solution when I can. Thanks!
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Try what is listed here: Graphics and performance settings guide

If that doesn't solve your issues, get back to us.

Really, I have a very old and slow computer with no SSD and I have no lag. So it isn't your system if you have a good one.