ROS rk3 spell acquisition in TBL

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Allayna Augur

They seem to be on the same table or maybe overlapping table as the raid non-vis items. Some chests we'll see 1, some we see 5 and less non-vis items.
  2. Evurkvest Augur

Spells for RoS raid currency would have been nice. Even this late...
  3. Tucoh Augur

Letting TBL spell clickies spawn RoS spells would be great, for Rk2 and rk3.
  4. Gnomereaper Augur

To be honest, I'm not really a happy camper with Evercamp or "snails pace progression Quest." During an expansion cycles run if you're top end you should be able to adequately have your gear and spell set.

Spells/discs should be on rot status always nearing the end of your farm status at any stage of the game.
    Mediik likes this.
  5. Intenso Augur

Nerf gear drops to be in line with runes next time
  6. Intenso Augur

Join a better guild?
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

My guild is the best guild for me.
    Jumbur likes this.
  8. Intenso Augur

not good for you're rank3 rune count tho
  9. Littlelegs Elder

spells should always be on vendor. ornaments are ... why not spells like in some previous expansions?
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

if that is the case then why not the eye ball augs from TBM, half faces, element from EoK, mount from VP etc?

I'm cool to have spells on the vendor... I don't mind, but make them in line cost wise. I would like to see EoK visibles cost less with RoS raid coin... Like maybe 75% ish less.

Many things one want, another doesn't etc.

I think if we have a non level increase, we will have a hand full of spells/disc per class, and yes I hope it includes prior expansion spells also.
  11. Littlelegs Elder

spells aren't chase items? (usually). i dont disagree that some other items would be good to utilize raid currency on, again akin to prior expansions.
  12. Cicelee Augur

Very, very, very, very few guilds in the game hand out important spells to *all* their members. Many of the top 20-30 raid guilds usually take thr first 4-8 weeks and give essential buff spells to certain members (cleric symbol, shaman unity, etc) and then spells are then distributed by whatever guild rules there are.

It would be nice if guilds maybe allowed each member a top 5/10 "priority" spell list where they give spell runes to all members so that all have those "priority" spells, and then afterwards everyone can fill out their spell book as is. But that, again, only happens in a handful of guilds at most.

It would also be nice for guild members to allow their fellow guild members to get their first one or two priority spells of a level instead of going after the fifth spell tune on a spell they cast once a year. But we all know that while some will do that, some will not. Just human nature.

So when you comment on "join a better guild", realize that there might be 1-4 guilds out there that you can realistically get every member every priority rk3 spell. Not everyone can join ROI for example, which (to my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong) hands out important spell runes to every class so every class three months after an expansion have their every day important spells. It doesn't work like that for the other 30-70 raid guilds out there...
  13. Sancus Augur

I think your post is accurate, but it doesn't really address why other guilds don't do that.

Right now it seems like a lot of guilds have very inefficient spell distribution systems. The game shouldn't be changed to accommodate that; instead those guilds should be incentivized to improve those distribution systems. Making spells more accessible because people complain just rewards that inefficiency.

It's insane to me that I talk to Mages or Wizards or whomever who don't have their core rotational spells in guilds that have been farming the expansion for months. There's no excuse for that. It's not a problem with the game; there are plenty of spells dropping to allow everyone to acquire their core spells quickly. The problem is a misallocation of spells to people who are just completing their spell book or think they have 30 different "core" spells or some nonsense like that. I just don't understand how guilds allow that.
    Tucoh, Annastasya and Thrillho like this.
  14. Rickate Augur

Having core rotational spells is an absurd concept. Players misrepresent spells they cast often as crucial upgrades. A typical Rk.2 to Rk.3 upgrade is 5% more damage for 4.5% more mana. Even if mana isn't a limiting factor and you can fully enjoy the 5% upgrade, for simple math go with that spell providing 20% of your damage output so a 1% DPS upgrade.

Field Champion or Resolute Defense is potentially a crucial upgrade because the tiny additional chance that the tank doesn't die during that combat round will very rarely have a major impact on the success of a raid. 1% more DPS from a Mage reduces the duration of the raid by 0.04% (again just a ballpark number for simple math) or if the first 9996 combat rounds go well enough rather than potential chaos in the last 4 combat rounds the benefit of Spear of Molten Arcronite Rk. III is that those 4 combat rounds don't take place.

Because of increased mana cost and over-healing it's even entirely possible that spells like Merciful Remedy Rk. III are not upgrades. Basic logic and a competent spell Dev would have a fixed healing amount and lower the mana cost as you upgrade the spell or other clear upgrade such as cast or recast time. A Rogue will claim Daggerslice Rk.III is crucial because they press a button every 30 seconds (or so, not sure if anything reduces refresh) without bothering to do some pretty simply parse evaluation and math and figure out how much it actually increases their damage output.

Rk.3 which impact tank survival or which benefit the entire raid are potentially crucial upgrades. Even when Ethereal xxxx was still ~40% of the damage output of a Wizard that's still 9992 combat rounds vs 8. The problem with efficient spell distribution is players who post a parse and say I cast Spear 117 times so I need that Glowing Marked Symbol possibly using the spurious logic of "Sancus said there is no excuse for me having Rk.2 Spear" when it has very little impact on performance unless it impacts attendance and/or effort.
  15. Sancus Augur

If you use my name in your post can you at least respond to what I actually wrote?
  16. Gonobtik New Member

We use a fairly simple method. We rotate through players based on attendance for each spell rune type. Those who show up the most, are first in line for the cycle. We haven't cleared the expansion yet. We've had fewer wins than the top guilds, and hence fewer drops. On average, people are getting a rune for each spell level every 3 months. People are now getting their third rune of each type.
  17. Rickate Augur

I didn't reply to what you wrote. I pointed out that using "Sancus said so" is a terrible basis for spell distribution while also describing factors I consider important in efficient spell distribution. Gonobtik describes a system with a high level of social merit at the expense of efficiency, it's not right or wrong. While your post is wrong, I'll explain the math in more detail if you want but claiming a lack of efficiency leads to all Wizards and Mages not having all "core rotational spells" within months is factually incorrect.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No, you're just being stupid on purpose to try and start an argument.

Like 36 spells drop a raid cycle. Most raids raid once a week. There are 50-70 people in a guild. We are like 40+ weeks into the farm cycle. People need 3-8 or whatever spells per rank. Zero reason for a guild in the "top 20 to 30" to still need spells that are of value.

Claiming "they do 5% more dps for 4.5% more mana" (beyond the fact you just admit they are more efficient), is dumb, because of this simple part "they do 5% more dps".
    Sancus likes this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

In my guild, we leave spell-distribution to dkp-bidding. Raiders with high attendance can therefore afford to outbid raiders with low attendance.
    We are a casual guild and don't have raid-attendance requirements at all.
    It means that the exact spell distribution might not be the most ideal, but it encourages a high raid-attendance.

It is not unheard of, that we take the guilds best interest into consideration when bidding though. I think the first few RoS spell runes went to buff-classes, not sure though.

I do want to eventually get all of my rk3 spells though(no rush :p), So I hope they will be available in TBL too
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  20. Sancus Augur

This is what's referred to as a strawman argument. If you aren't sure quite what I mean by that, here's the Wikipedia definition for you: "A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent."

If you read my post, it is very clear that I did not claim "a lack of efficiency leads to all Wizards and Mages not having 'core rotational spells' within months." That's why you should quote me, rather than putting words in my mouth, and actually respond, instead of making up much weaker arguments bearing a mild similarity and then attacking those instead.
    Pirlo likes this.