thinking about returning to norrath

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Bashiok Crownguard, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

Hello all. I'm considering returning to the Norrath but I have a class question that is not for myself, since I feel like I'm flexible and I can be a jack of all trades, maybe a bard.

My friend on the other hand is struggling to come to terms with what the best class to play would be. He likes to solo, but to be a welcome addition to a group if that's what it takes. He wants to be of the strongest classes possible, but does not want to pick melee or pseudo melee. He does not want to heal either, as healing is like playing support in League of Legends so he doesn't want to do that.

1) Strongest class - what class is parsing the highest for dps? Sorcerer? Magus? Bonecaster?
    2) What class is welcome in both groups and soloing at the best possible speeds?
    3) Is not a tank, healer, or melee/hybrid?

I would like to be a minotaur or cat person.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This may help your friend with classes: http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Classes
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Classes

And for races: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:races

As you can see there are differences in games terminology so it would be hard for someone to relate to what a magus is in your game since in EQ a magus is an npc who transports players around. We have no minotaurs other than mobs you fight and an illusion here and there but are not playable races per say. We do have cat people called Vah Shar but none of those can be the class you prob want.

Go for a mage.
  3. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

4. moogs Augur

Wizards will always have the highest burst DPS for casters. As they should. They have virtually no other role in a group. They only have self buffs...you could ask them to snare mobs or teleport the group but that's about it. The rest of the time they are either nuking or sitting on their waiting to nuke again.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Should really just buy a heroic character and give it a try (can delete and remake another class that way after a couple days).

The game is so different as you level up, that you could get really good advice, take it, and for 60-70 levels of the game you have no clue why it was suggested to you.

For pure casters there are only 4:

1) Enchanter - support class so probably not interested, but very powerful and actually does a lot of dps (at 110...).

2) Wizard - pure dps basically, can teleport

3) Necromancer - highest dps potential over X minutes, dot class, has undead pet

4) Magician - near wizard dps but with pets can do more at times

Really, for "best" dps, it varies between every class and every era and the content circumstances.

Worrying about being the best class is silly. Pick something you find enjoyable to play and it will all come together.

And melee/hybrids are probably a lot different than you think they are.
  6. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

How hard is it to get the sword click buff? Does enchanter / bard run into any overlap problems?
  7. moogs Augur

My friend played a magician+bard and I played a druid+enchanter and we grouped together several times per week for a few years. The synergy is very strong and it works well overall. No real conflicts because bard song buffs are separate from the main buff window.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

Welcome back :)
  9. FJ_EQ New Member

Hey, what did you end up rolling?