Rejoining after many years

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Faylon Lonestar, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Faylon Lonestar New Member

Hey Everyone!

I've decided to rejoin EverQuest after several years. The last time I played was right when the Luclin Expansion was released.

I decided to roll a character on the new
    Coirnav server so that I would get a chance to see the expansions roll out as they originally did. I'm really looking forward to that experience, but I'm going to have a steep learning curve.

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community :)

-Faylon
    Flarp likes this.
  2. Tracer New Member

Hello Faylon,

The last time I played EverQuest was 14 years ago in 2004, so I know what it’s like to have been away for several years.

I had been under the impression that EverQuest no longer existed. Out of curiosity. I did an EverQuest search today (10-9-18) and discovered Daybreak. I downloaded the free EverQuest they are offering, but I am having difficulty getting logged on. I am not sure if this is due to the Maintenance being performed today or my computer system.

I did manage to get logged on to a free server very briefly before getting the message that the server was going down in 13 minutes. During my short visit, I noticed that the user interface (Icon and commands placement on the player screen) were not the same as that of the EverQuest which I played 14 years ago.

Like you, I am interested in joining the Coirnav server and reliving the past one expansion at a time. However, before investing in Daybreak Allaccesss, I am wanting to know I am getting the experience I hope to get. I would like to know if the user interface and the EverQuest world on the progressive servers are the way it was when we played many years ago.

After you get set up on Coirnav, I would love to hear your thoughts about the game play as compared to back when we played years ago.

-Tracer
    Faylon Lonestar likes this.
  3. Ungkor Journeyman

The servers had a patch today and are now broken. There's a long thread in the support area about it.
  4. Qimh New Member

I also returned to EQ after several years a couple weeks ago. I started on Coirnav and got a necro up to level 25. That really helped me get the fundamentals back for the game (the things I had forgotten).

I've spent the last few days playing my old main characters on Bristlebane, learning some of the newer stuff in the live game, which is somewhat less overwhelming after the TLP experience.

I still intend to play around on Coirnav, so if you guys get into the 20s and want someone to group with, let me know!
  5. Lithiar New Member

Welcome Back, I rejoined yesterday as well, was looking forward to today's xp grind =( . I re-rolled on Agnarr instead.
  6. Faylon Lonestar New Member

Tracer,

I was able to play for a few days before the server issues today, and I loved everything about it. The thrill of the intro music as the game loaded really brought me back. Although it does load a little faster than I remember, and I somewhat find myself missing my dial up connection.

As far as the user interface, I found it unfamiliar, but extremely customizable.

I do not regret getting the all access pass for daybreak. I would like to look more into that company though.

Hopefully I'll see you in Norrath in the coming days.

-Faylon
    Flarp likes this.
  7. stregg New Member

I too am returning to EQ after 15 year absence. I joined just before Luclin came out and played for about 5-6 years. Got into raiding guild and just finished tier 2. Then Warcraft came out and when I logged in the guild I was in went from 1200 active players to 4. In one day....
    I found the UI easy to understand. I play on the live server, Tunare, with my level 84 (Was level 85 Heroic) necro. Started my epic 1.0 and found it good.
  8. Tracer New Member

Faylon,

Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion of Daybreak and the EverQuest interface with me. I am leaning towards taking the plunge with Daybreaks all access. Juts hearing you and the others talk about it has my old Norrath blood pumping. I too found the intro music to bring me a sort of nostalgic euphoria.

I have to work the next couple of days, so I want get a chance to dive in until later in the week. Maybe after I get my character set up and get comfortable enough with the interface to venture out, we will cross paths.

-Tracer
  9. Namde Augur

I too came back after years of afk. Its basically like riding a bike.
    Mintalie, Faylon Lonestar and Lithiar like this.
  10. tsuchan6 New Member

Doing the long download now. I've been playing on the Project 1999 server, both red and blue for a few years and want to experience this now.
    Live long and prosper.
    moogs likes this.
  11. Flarp New Member

I am just returning after about a decade long hiatus. Happy to be here and hello to all :)

Have fun and good lootz to you!
    xxGriff likes this.
  12. Ebine Augur

I am on Coirnav and have a few level 60s. If you have been gone for a long time I would say try one of the live servers and run a new char though the tutorial unless you find an old friend that can help you.
  13. Mintalie Augur

Isn't it? After initially feeling completely overwhelmed for a week, that good old muscle memory has kicked back in for how to play and how to box and it's pretty amazing, after getting over the shock of new info and the billion little things to manage in EQ, how simple it is. If anything can be simple while managing a billion little things. ;)
  14. Sagarmatha Augur

I used that music as my ringtone and the refreshing, "DING!" sound for texts for many years. My wife cringes every time she hears it, which makes like it even more!
    moogs and Cyri like this.
  15. Cyri Journeyman

LOL, my wife is the same!

She jokingly (I hope) calls it, "Divorcequest!
  16. mattie diesel Journeyman

To all of you guys returning from early 2000's - May I make one suggestion; to try out all-access TLP servers one day. These do require a paid subscription to Daybreak, but it gives you hefty benefits for all their products instead of just Everquest incase you ever tried new things. On the modern live servers it gives you better mercenaries, further Alternate Advancement progressions, and much more, but more importantly it gives you access to TLP and TLP Locked servers (Time-locked progression). These are servers based on classic Everquest content, from back in the old days that you all remember, with the old spell icons, the old starting areas set in place, classic experience rates, and alot of the struggles you had to endure as a new character back in old content. Very exciting and fun, and I personally enjoy it more than modern content. Locked TLP's (Agnarr) are servers that stop releasing expansions after a certain point. Agnarr released Lost Dungeons of Norrath recently and is locked there (meaning staying on that expansion). This is a great place for people who love old classic EQ. There are also regular TLP's, which start from the original Everquest game (1999) and continues to release the expansions every so often. The newest TLP is Coirnav server which is only a couple expansions deep. Just food for thought, since you guys were around during classic! Glad to see you all! Have fun.

Keep in mind, I know a lot of people enjoy modern live EQ content, I have not much against it, I just prefer EQ Classic.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

Welcome back :)
  18. moogs Augur

You might like to look for Default Old interface at www.eqinterface.com

All of the old spell/buff icons are from around Luclin era, so it may feel a little more familiar. Granted there have been many, many changes and additions to the interface since then.

Once you have the interface of your choice unzipped to EverQuest \ uifiles \ myinterfacename, load up the game and type the command \load myinterfacename and wait several seconds for it to reload.

One caveat is that custom interfaces may not work on patch day. You'll want to check for a new version a day or two after each monthly patch.