Next TLP should be a two box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Iyvy, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Machentoo Augur

You are foolish if you think DBG wants to set up a server where they will need to regularly ban players, for any reason.

The reason truebox works for them is that they don't have to ban anyone. The software enforces what they want to enforce, and when it doesn't they generally ignore it, and the subscription fees and krono purchases keep flowing in.

In your two box server scenario, when they ban people for violating the rules (and they absolutely would have to, or it would be a meaningless designation for a server) they lose those accounts, not just on the two box server, but as paying accounts on all their other servers too.

It is a losing proposition financially.
  2. Machentoo Augur

They don't need proof. They can ban anyone they want for any reason at any time, with or without proof. They don't even have to tell you why.

Whether banning people without proof is good for business is another question, but they absolutely can.
    Barton likes this.
  3. RandomStrategy Augur

Group content is gonna be locked down no matter what. Whether it be one person boxing six mages or a team of three boxing two mages splitting the proceeds.

No difference.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nah dude it's a net gain to kick out the trash that drives away the rest of the customer base. DBG suspends people all the time for other violations.
  5. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nah dude before Quarm came out and a "tlp friendly version of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]" hit public use boxing more then 2 and locking down camps were basically nonexistent on Phinny. By the time Coirnav hit pretty much everything was being locked down by AFK/1 hotkey boxes.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Sure they do. Why do you think the # of things they suspend or ban players for has reduced from about 30 things to about 2 things? Even software that plays your character for you is ok these days on non truebox servers, as long as you are at the keyboard.
    Barton likes this.
  7. RandomStrategy Augur

I don't know what Phinny was like, but Ragefire was nothing but a sea of mage box crews, and while I'm not going to do the work you should do yourself, searching the archive of this forum will prove it.

On top of that, nobody knew how the true box code functioned. Through testing it has been figured out and it's cheap as hell to run 5 toasters with usb numpads.

I highly doubt that now any more than 5% of those who true box crew even use that box friendly program.
  8. Whipper Journeyman

Lol. You are so bad that no one else can play more than 2? Is that the problem here?

No thanks, no one will play on your terrible server.
  9. Whipper Journeyman

Actually you have no idea what they're running, whether it be numpads, laptops, or whatever. You just assume people who are running more than 3-4 characters are automatically cheating, when really you are jealous and angry.

Get over it.

It makes me sick when I see noobs post these terrible ideas because they are so so awful at a 20 year old game. LOL
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Yet people still get banned on occasion TLP and for those "2 things" and there is not reason not to expanded it a bit. These are all the same arguments for why Phinny shouldn't have had Truebox in the first place and all of them were just really wrong. Allowing people to 6 box and lock down content is like allowing 10% of people to cut in line over and over again at an amusement park, if you do the other customers just stop coming. Which is what you have on Coirnav with it being 1/3 the pop of Phinny even counting all the extra boxes.
  11. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I played on both and l quit RF the day Phinny was announced. People made all these same dumb arguments about why Truebox wasn't go work and how you needed boxing for EQ to survive and other dumb stuff. All of them were wrong and the people that made them looked really foolish and many of them are making the same arguments in this thread despite what the recent TLP have proven time and time again. Lots of boxing = lower pop, no instances = lower pop, slower unlocks = lower pop, slower xp = lower pop.

As far as people using the boxing software, most of them still do. It's easy to see just by watching them for 5 mins, i've played and was guilded with some of them, most of them are decent people but what they're doing has a very obvious negative impact on the server
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I doubt it's "most". The two major boxing 3rd party apps are disabled on True Box servers. Word is there's a new app out there that hasn't been detected by DBG but I can't imagine most boxers are out there finding it. I have boxed 5 for years and never have used any 3rd party software. It's not hard.
  13. Machentoo Augur

It actually does start to be hard, not too far into Phinny's future. Up through SoD or Underfoot I could do reasonably well six boxing with no software. After that, the amount of complexity, difficulty, and actions available to each toon just becomes overwhelming. When you need to be constantly hitting seven different abilities on cooldown on the tank AND the cleric just to keep the tank alive, it's hard to do much on the dps. Auto activate should help some this time around, but only some as even dps need to start hitting a bunch of extra stuff to keep up reasonable amounts of damage.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I got to that point on Xegony. I have 8 level 100 characters over there. I lost incentive part way through Rain of Fear.
  15. Iyvy Augur

I'm actually a succesful boxer, I'd just prefer to normal box instead of truebox.

Also I know for a fact the majority of the 4+ boxers use screen sharing software, I'm friends with many of them. I don't even really mind that they cheat, but the majority of the "megaboxers" and there aren't that many of them left, use a certain software to put all their screens on a single device and run laptops in the background that they literally don't touch in any way.

Which is why a visual ban system would be ideal. Boxing more than 2? Banned. Simple as that.

Not like the addicts will stop playing, and once people learn that they aren't going to last they'll stop trying to cheat the system.

It takes like 100 hours to hit level 50, and 2 minutes to ban you. Pretty easy to see who will win that competition. Hell make me a GM i'll clean the server out in an afternoon for free, with video evidence.
  16. a_librarian Augur

Software KVM isn't against the rules of Truebox as far as I know. At long as the input is 1:1 and you aren't broadcasting keys or using automation tools outside the scope of in game hotbuttons
  17. Iyvy Augur

My understanding was that it broadcasts from other computers onto a single computer and you can mouse to different windows. Its basically remote controling of other computers, screensharing + mouse transfering and that's what they do. Mouse pads are so 2016.

Anyway that's why there are still ridiculous 18 man boxers sometimes.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The sad thing is that everybody is so busy arguing for their personal fantasy TLP server, that they've forgotten that TLP servers are the lamest and cheapest excuse for content available to DBG. It's like arguing over what kind of maggots you're going to get on your table scraps.

If we're just going to settle for short-term, cash-grab reruns, I at least want an event server. The more "original" and "new" the better (at least take us somewhere we haven't seen on a seasonal server in the last 4 years), and make sure the reward is claimable and useful on live servers, just like Quarm was.

TrueBox is death. Slow exp is death. DBG, you want my $? Give me something exciting and challenging.
  19. Master Kahleem Augur

Or....how about a server where you can't play UNLESS you're boxing 6 toons?

Your way of playing is no more valid than mine. We just need stronger rules against people who box being jerks.

When I 6boxxed both Agnarr and Coirnav I would ALWAYS try to help people in any way I could, and would actively give up my camps for groups played by actual people.

How about next TLP has no restrictions, and uses some of the more popular rulesets around loot/exp/etc? You know, actually fun?

Thanks!
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Are you talking about Chrome Remote Desktop, Windows remoting, TeamViewer, etc.?. That's a very inefficient (IMO) way of muti-boxing on True Box servers. I haven't tried it, but I do use Chrome Remote Desktop to log into EQ from work now and then. I get about 2 FPS. Granted, it would be better on a local network, but still not great. I'd much rather just true box the way it was intended.

Or are you talking about some other app?