unknown/unacknowledged warrior agro weapons?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by pulvarien2, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Baldur Augur

DoT proc aggro is crap.

Best proc aggro order for tanks:
    Rune > Hate > Debuff > Stun > Heal

That order isn't set in stone, because it depends on how much hate and the debuff that's proccing. Any rune proc is crazy AE aggro, it's very nice.

I wouldn't even want a regular DD or DoT proc as a tank if I could help it.
  2. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

Taliefer's right that most procs are over-emphasized, but I will say that a warrior's best friend is utility. A lot of the high agro weapons are also weapons with a lot of utility. Stockpiling snare, stun, debuff, and slow weapons will provide you utility for playing through the game with different group makeups and testing your limits, as well as being a testbed to try out different options to get a feel for their agro generation. Wulfenites on your best weapons are a must tho, regardless of what the 'best' qualifies as for you. Nice thing is, theres always more wulfenites to buy.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Wavecrasher is another option. It's probably less common than others so it might be harder to find/more expensive. Drops in Sirens Grotto.
  4. Kloven Elder

Willsapper off Vaniki in DN is also a great ratio. When it comes to augs I recall the stun ones always getting resist messages. But I agree the augs probably didn't matter much given low proc rate in that era, best ratio weapons and hit aggro disc at the right time.
  5. andross77 Elder

OP, great question and great post. I also laugh at some of these responses, "Oh just spend 75 krono (75 x $18 = $1,350) on a 20 year old game" ROFL or "just farm and play casually to get 100 krono, and by play casually i mean play 6 hours every night for 20 years and neglect your family and friends for a 20 year old game" HAHAHAHA

These responses are gold. Anywho, back to the topic, I researched this a lot for my play on TLP's mainly because I'm a REAL CASUAL EQ player (1-2 hours a night max, 3 evenings a week max, on average) and have planted my flag on Agnarr forever and so I need good aggro without a million hours or krono invested. Best I could come up with is the Wrapped Entropy Serpent Spine is amazing aggro and it also procs at lvl 1. It's like 3 layers of blindness. Which can be bad if you step away from mob as it might run but I've used it for 44 levels so far and never had that happen.

The other 2 weapons I've used is Wavecrasher because again it's slow proc is mega aggro but have recently gone to Frostbringer because 12/22 is much better than 9/19 and the Frostbringer DD still does some aggro. The one poster who said anything with a stun is mega aggro is right. That's why SSoY's, though terrible 8/24 ratio, are still great aggro for the average Joe Tank until the end game.

I think your poison whip is good but from all my research on P99 and old EQ forum posts, the best for the casual warrior that is tradeable is the WESS and the Wavecrasher or Frostbringer. Once you are 55 plus and start getting much better gear and no drop weapons, i have no idea. But i think those are great for the under 55 game.

Also, always aug with the DD/stun aug. Never the DoT. I also think the poster that said people overthink aggro weapons on TLP's, especially us casuals, is probably right. And in the end we should just find the best ratio weapons and put the DD/stun aug in them. I know my troll war's dex is only like 170 and I never test and record procs per minute (cause...NERD! j/k i'm a nerd. just don't care that much about and old game) but i'm guessing i don't proc that often to justify having bad ratios like 9/19.

Now when are the servers coming back up?.......
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Question for you grouping warriors: Do you have trouble holding aggro? Apparently you do because you are here asking these questions but I'm curious.
  7. andross77 Elder

Funny question since you already made up your mind on the answer.....but, for myself I would say no, conditionally. The main condition is the other dps in the group doesn't use their "atom bomb" attack in the first 2 seconds. The other would be if a healer does a CH in the first 5 seconds. And a secondary condition with these lower ratio weapons is that the proc goes off in the first 15 seconds of fight which by casual observation i would say usually always happens.

Simply pressing the taunt button usually snaps it back np. The question from the OP (I think) just arises from a place of wanting to have the "best" casual player aggro weapons. Since this game is 20 years old it should be pretty well known what those are.
  8. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

Early game agro is pretty wonky, especially pre-provoke. Taunt is not tremendously consistent prior to the 30s, and at higher levels, theres gonna be a few classes that pull agro pretty hard. Thankfully, about half of them can drop agro in some manner. Those revamped priest dots are a blast though, let me tell you.

As always however, agro is a two way street. Your agro can also be affected by how aware the rest of your party is of their own generation.
    andross77 likes this.
  9. Bewts Augur

To be fair, pre-PoP anyone can tank slowed group content mobs so holding Aggro while necessary may be an effort in futility given DPS are relatively geared, mobs are slowed and your healer is paying attention.

I’ve actually tanked for both 3 wizards or 3 rangers at low levels through level 60. Long as the DPS gives you a half hearted head start you’re golden.

Taking the wurmy comment to an extreme... Wurmy / Sarnak Parrying Blade with Stun augs can be very serviceable given the potential DPS output of the two weapons. They are slow, however so haste may make life a bit easier on the mana sponges if the RNG frowns on you when you engage.

It also helps if the warrior pulls early on because that engage Aggro doesn’t require a successful taunt from you to transfer it and you can save that first taunt for whoever pulls instead of it being on cool down.
  10. Mythanor New Member

The reason those weapons are good for aggro on P99, is amount of hate generated by poison counters on the mob. (Think Tash). Hence, not so good here, since they have severely reduced the amount of aggro generated by it landing. As others said, the actual dot is junk for aggro.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

No, actually, I was of the opinion that aggro control wasn't really a problem. I take Chanaluss' point about the early game, though.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Hell you probably would be fine with double yaks and a stun aug on each one. Aggro is all about procs for warriors at that point, and stuns are great aggro.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

Proc aggro is immense on early TLP's... melee aggro, on the other hand, is peanuts compared to proc'ing stuns.

If you want to DPS, don't play a warrior is my honest advice. If you're duo'ing then consider more aggro, but in a group? Warrior dps at that point in time is not that big of a deal. They have hard enough time holding aggro as it is.
  14. Boze TLP complaint factory

BLIND! Blind agro is amazing, underused, and underappreciated. Flash of Light has been my Beastlord-Taunt go-to since I started on Phinny. Wrapped Entropy Serpent Spine would be worth a spin for a warrior in velious/luclin era. Of course, you need to remain close to your target or it will wander off ;). For the record I've only had that happen to me once.

I know there's some numbers out there for stun/slow proc agro (parsed in the range of 400-500 hate iirc) and I've always found debuffs like Incapacitate to work well. I've always wondered though about the debuff + dot type procs, e.g., http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6289 . Anyone have some knowledge on how the debuff hate applies?
  15. a_librarian Augur

Just want to mention that Infestation has a really cool graphic that I haven't seen on another sword. Find somebody who is killing Vilefang for Ralgyn's Promise and tag along if you wanted that one
  16. mackal Augur

Back in the day the debuff counters also added aggro, which made some weapons (like the ones you mentioned) a lot better. This has been nerfed for a long time on live, including TLPs.
  17. taliefer Augur

swing agro is base weapon damage + damage bonus. lets just use a yak for example, because it has an abysmal ratio, but has a stun proc which everyone is googoo over. so the swing agro on a yak is 19 every 2.4 seconds (cant log in, but i believe at level 50 the damage bonus on a yak is 11. this goes up at 60, but im purposely using low melee numbers) unhasted. so over the course of a minute, you have generated 475 hate. now lets factor in double attack. i dont know the double attack success rate in EQ, but i think 75% is on the conservative side. so add another 356. thats unhasted. haste will increase this number, but have 0 effect on your proc rate.

the agro on a stun proc is roughly 600. stun hate scales with mob HP, and its not really till planes of power that standard group exp mobs reach this 600 hate threshold. but we will just use 600. assuming you can max out dex, no easy feat in early EQ, you get 1200 hate a minute.

the offhand has no damage bonus, and half the proc rate of main hand. so a yak will get at best 600 hate a minute from that proc.

now, condsidering stun is just about the best agro proc you can ask for, especially when talking about non raid weapons (the only time it really matters since raid weapons generally have good ratios as well as agro procs) the hate from procs is going to stagnate, while your swing agro get a dramatic bump as weapon ratios improve.

get the best ratio you can get as a warrior, unless its really close where one weapon has a proc and the other doesnt.
  18. Boze TLP complaint factory

Ah ok, so I take it that means it applies like a normal DoT then?
  19. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

@OP Agro works differently on P99 Dot procs are much higher agro over there.
    Best agro combos for a warrior in velious with cheap weapons is
    Wrapped Entropy Serpent Spine Main + Wavecrasher if you don't care about the chance of a blind fear
    Wavecrasher+Sarnak Warhammer if you do

But over half the agro generated through swing agro in this example is from the damage bonus. Which will basically be the same regardless of if you use a 12/20 or a 8/20. Attributing that portion to the weapon ratio is wrong. Also you won't double attack 75% of the time at 50 and even less so beforehand.

Lets just say you're swing twice per second with main hand, he won't be during SoV buts lets just say he is. The difference in swing agro per min between an 8/20 and a 12/24, would only be 480. That's the difference in ration need to compensate for 1 proc per min basically.

It's capped at 400 and it doesn't even take 2k HP for the hate from a stun/snare to be capped. So nah this actually happens in like Lower Guk. Yaks also have a 75DD nuke attached which makes them 475.
  20. Machentoo Augur

What Taliefer said. You are losing a lot of aggro from using the much poorer ratio of the poisoned whip while waiting for it to proc. Almost certainly far more than you gain from the proc, unless you get a very lucky early proc.