Found a fix for huge issue with cpu/gpu usage

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Eniner, Oct 1, 2018.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Just speculating here, but I run multiple EQ instances, and EQ performance hasn't changed significantly for me since patch. I will say that ZONE performance has been significantly impacted. The more people in a zone (more than 10) and performance across all my EQ instances suffers. I spend a lot of time in RoS. I see it the worst in Grand Guild Hall, Gorowyn and Skyfire. This has gotten noticeably worse since the most recent patch.

I never use the patcher unless new game files are available. I always use the nopatch command.

System specs:
    - Intel i7-7700k O/C to 4.4GHz
    - EVGA GTX 1070 8GB
    - 16GB DDR4 System Memory
    - Gigabyte Z170X-UD5

Whenever I see the slowdown, CPU on all EQ processes jumps from 18% or so to 30%, nearly double. I can only presume this is some game asset threshold that's been breached and the game engine begins to constantly re-calculate the game environment. Otherwise, I can run up to 10 boxes (I normally run 4) without issue. Granted, these boxes are running minimal graphics options (mimapping off, dynamic lighting off, shadows off, particles off), but again, getting more people in the zone typically means HUGE slowdowns on all boxes in that zone.
  2. Geko Elder

How are you bypassing the patcher? I do not know of this method, but would like to learn.
  3. Tyreel Augur

Assuming you are running windows 10.
    Open your everquest folder find eqgame.exe right click and click create shortcut.
    Copy/move that new short cut to your desktop.
    Right click on shortcut and on the line that says target add at the end of the line patchme .
    Click apply ok then you can use the shortcut top open everquest.

Note if anything gets patched and you use this way to launch it may cause other issues.
  4. Geko Elder

https://imgur.com/a/ANy5EJw

Using the eqgame.exe patchme method I was able to get 14 accounts on with 42% CPU usage / 15.9GB RAM usage - and 47 consistent FPS on each tab.

This method was still a bit laggier than it was prior to the patch ( I used to get 90+ FPS in EQ with 15 open ) - but it works for now.

I believe this is the solution.
    [IMG]
  5. Geko Elder

How did you get your pictures to show in your post? When I try it only shows a broken image?
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

You will need to upload to a 3rd party site. He is using imgur.com
  7. Caell Augur

Something else to consider if you were running an early release of Win 10 1809, or upgraded before it got pulled. Don't believe the CPU utilization in the task manager.

There's an issue with Windows 10 October Update 1809 where task manager incorrectly reports CPU utilization. It looks like apps are using more CPU than they actually are.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-cpu-usage-in-windows-10-october-2018-update/

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...processes-tab-cpu-bug?forum=win10itprogeneral
  8. Caell Augur

Additionally you can make individual icons for each account, by putting /login:username after patchme.

For example:
    C:\Games\DBG\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme /login:username
  9. Metanis Bad Company

Awesome post, thank you!

I don't have any problems but I've been following this thread getting an education!

I just wanted to add a caveat on the Bloom Lighting setting. My recollection is there are raid events for which the Bloom lighting is important to be able to "see" certain raid effects or artifacts. Sadly, I don't recall the specific raids however!

Just something to think about for your characters that raid!
  10. Caell Augur

I mentioned this, but it's not Bloom it's PostEffects
  11. Eniner Augur

Still a problem that needs acknowledged.
  12. Roxxors Lorekeeper

You still have not eliminated your machine as a potential problem though... Until you do that all else is just bad assumptions on your part. Trouble shooting 101, do not make assumptions.

Bottom line, just because they changed something does not mean that caused the problem. It may have exposed it, but not caused it. Now you have to figure out where the real problem is...
    Caell likes this.
  13. Eniner Augur

My machine is not the problem. LOL i can replace the ini and i run back to normal. This machine is built to not know the meaning of lag. If it was a machines problem then the ini trick or patchme trick would not of fixed everyones problem on this forum.......
  14. Eniner Augur

And considering im the only one on this game who took the time to actually track down the source no its not my thing to figure out. It is the companies. I done my part devoting 14 hours of a day to find the issue and report it for players to come in and say its your machine.... When we ran just fine before the patch. It is not our machines it is a patch pushed from last go around couple weeks ago. I am trying to hold my cool here because you may not just understand.. We dont spent thousands of dollars on our pc to have lag. When i can load numbers of instances of other games with out any issues. When i can change a simple ini and go from only can box 6 chars to boxing 35 chars cause of a ini change. That says something in the ini or somethings are majorly conflicting with some.
  15. Roxxors Lorekeeper

Another assumption nothing more. It could be correct, or incorrect, but so far you haven't proven anything. You are assuming too much.

Ok, troubleshooting 101. Patch means nothing. It may or not be at fault.

Sooo… How to put this in simple terms you may understand...

Example:

Your video card supports Shader666, but the game does not use it. So the game runs fine.

The video driver has a bug in the Shader666 code that will crash the system. (I hope you can follow this so far)

The Devs decide to use Shader666 and turn it on in the INI file (with the code)

You log in and your game crashes...

Not the games fault, it's your video driver.

Like I said, troubleshooting 101.. Do not make assumptions.
  16. Eniner Augur

Assumption yet has fixed about 20 players lag problems.... If dont have anything to offer here why comment?? lmao
  17. Eniner Augur

I can understand your point had i just assumed this. This is widely tested by me and even some of the staff. It is a problem its matter of actually finding the problem causing it as its not one setting but multiple together. I dont mean to be snappy at you but i been programming and coding for decades i know a issue when i see it. As ive stated between my 6 machines in my station i have well over 10k invested in my pc station. I do not know the meaning of lag until the last patch came in. And from what i could tell upon spending 14 hours debugging a lot stuff i found it was purely the eqclient.ini settings. Having replaced that i now run like normal no lag whats so ever. I would like to note i played on the default eqclient ini with no special settings it was as basic as it comes from daybreak. I changed nothing but the patch changed something. You dont go from boxing say 20 chars at 14% cpu usage to 6 accounts at 87% cpu usage over night. Just dont work that way my friend.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Afaik, pixel-shaders are only executed on visible pixels, and are completely ignored on minimized clients, not completely sure though, as windows supports realtime updated thumbnails.

If you don't need to use the 3d-view on a client, but only the UI/chat, you can use /viewport 0 0 0 0
    It sets the 3d-view to a zero-pixel size, and should disable pixel-processing completely.

You could probably make a macro that adjusted /viewport size on each client(an open/close 3d-window-button) and only open the 3d-window on the foreground client. Depends on your boxing style, if that would be useful. :)

A bit off-topic though.
  19. Caell Augur

And yet when I use your supposed better old RoF eqclient.ini I get worse performance (as in near 0 FPS) not better. Primarily because it has these settings:

CPUAffinity19=3 (instead of CPUAffinity0/1/2/3/etc=-1 for as many as the number of clients you will be running at once)
    VertexShaders=0 (instead of =1)
    20PixelShaders=0 (instead of =1)

It almost makes me think EQ is ignoring the settings and using something else. Because these settings should produce worse performance not better.

How is your performance when you use the eqclient.ini I provided? What FPS do you get?
  20. Eniner Augur

I'll be honest ive not tried any other ini but my custom one which i will share here now. It is very custom everything is cut low the one i did post is a basic rof2 ini that players could use. I did not share the actual one im using now due to it does remove some features players do like.

With that being said i run at a solid 80 to 120 fps with my ini. Sharing my ini i will warn everyone that you will no longer see player names you no longer will see guild names etc if you use my ini. This is a back up your current ini rename it if gonna use my ini situation as you have a lot things removed you are custom to. Having used my custom one i just cant even bother to look at others as i believe in the dont fix what is not broken clause. This has fixed my issue 100% and im just gonna keep it that way.