The Everquest UI font. (Dyslexia awareness day 4th October)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Murrin-AB, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Murrin-AB New Member

Am I the only one who found it hard to read the default EQ font?

With age I got more and more trouble reading, so I had to change the EQ font to Verdana. That helped me a bit, but there are probably lots of other people that find it hard to read the default font in EQ too?

Today is The World Dyslexia Awareness Day. Now I don’t have dyslexia myself, but I know some that do. I didn’t really know so much about this before I saw Christian Boer’s TEDx talk about it.

Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Tom Cruise, Jamie Oliver and Keanu Reeves are just some of the famous people with this reading disorder according to him.

He designed a font that could make it easier for dyslectic people to read. I don’t have this font myself, but was wondering if anyone has tried using it in EQ. I’m not even sure if you can add custom fonts or not.

Anyway, if that is possible, then it could be a good idea to try and market Everquest as "dyslexia friendly" if this font can be used. Considering that up to 20% of the US population might have some degree of dyslexia, that’s a huge market potential!

If you are not sure if you or your friends have it, then the is a test for it. (Today on 4th October, it seems like it is free to take this one too!)

#dyslexiaawareness #GoGreenForDyslexia #EDAdyslexiaday
    Frogmancer and IblisTheMage like this.
  2. Febb Augur

I believe EQ uses whatever fonts you have installed for your system.
  3. Dailor Augur

Dno't wroyr, htey liwl ekam it unreadalbe to veereyon on rilpA 1st.

?llaw eht htiw eno I ma'
    Laronk likes this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You don't need to have dyslexia to get confused when the "I" (upper case letter i) is the same as "l" (lower case letter L). The only way I know that a character's name begins with an i is to remember that all names must begin with upper case.

Why anyone would design a font that way I have no idea when there is no reason that upper case i can't look like "I".
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

And bigger. Not dyslexic, just old.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Changing the font can help, but some people with dyslexia tend to see print in this way.

[IMG]

https://www.dyslexia.com/question/what-dyslexics-see/

I have worked with several children who struggle to read due to some form of dyslexia. It takes lots of time and patience and there is no "magic bullet" solution.
    klanderso likes this.
  7. Brohg Augur

The kerning bugs me just aesthetically, not due to any difficulty. Lowercase RN is utterly indistinguishable from M, which makes someone civilly opting for "darn" as a curse word appear just to be incompetently typing damn.
    Fanra and Jumbur like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Speaking as a non-dyslexic, that Dyslexie-font sure looks annoying to read. :p

I have no clue whether it "works" or not, but I suspect many of those tiny adjustments they did on those fonts, will only be visible on very hi-res displays or with huge font-sizes.

P.S. I claimed the char-named Jurnbur for my alt, because it is virtually indistinguishable from my main Jumbur with the default-font....:rolleyes:
  9. Murrin-AB New Member

@Febb: Yes, it seems like you can use any font installed in windows. :)
    @Dailor: !nuf saw erus lirpA .1, puY
    @Fanra: Yeah, I just love sending buff tells to characters with names like “Ilirnmillrnmiil” etc.
    @IblisTheMage: That’s what /chatfontsize is for. :)
    @Nennius: I guess you are right, but if some minor tweak can be done to improve it for them, I guess it can be worth it.
    @Brohg: That’s exactly that same problem I had. (You could try to change to the KaiTi font or Verdana Pro)
    @Jumbur: I guess it takes time to get used to? ;)

Now, I did try to download a free font called OpenDyslectic just for fun to see if it worked. Sadly, it did not work so well. The problem was that the hot buttons became incredibly hard to read. :oops:

So, I guess my idea would not work that well. Perhaps they could get a summer intern or something to look at it and make it work for next year?

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with using other fonts in EQ, then please share!
    Frogmancer likes this.
  10. Frogmancer Augur

I switched to Times New Roman on my main account years ago, and have never looked back. But, I'm not dyslexic, so I'm a bad data point. I just felt like sharing.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Comic Sans or get out
    klanderso likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Nice one!
  13. Murrin-AB New Member