Change keying for 3 month servers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RainbowCane, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Zanarnar Augur

Boze:
    While I agree the doom n gloom has been rehashed to death here.. things are going to change in the next few xpacs. If you cannot reasonably flag everyone and beat the content in era.. that will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

There is no way this was designed to require you to split it X ways just to get everyone flagged for the end raid zones before the next xpac comes out.. much less actually BEAT the end raid zone. Add to that the fact that the content just keeps getting harder... their inaction on this is going to cause problems.

Now maybe they've got some plan to handle this that they just don't want to share with us publicly yet. History, however, would indicate they're just hoping it "goes away" rather then taking a proactive stance and fixing it before it becomes an issue.
    Ryak likes this.
  2. Ryak Augur

I've also come around to Machentoo's opinion that we need to be focusing on Underfoot and beyond.

A two month time frame for Underfoot with the existing drop rates is actually insane and completely non-viable.

This is just like when they tried to skip GoD. There's basically a 100% consensus that the existing proposed time-frame/drop-rate combo sucks. The only "disagreement" is exactly how to solve it.

Just like GoD, this isn't going to go away. Quite literally, the existence of the server depends on some kind of reasonable solution being implemented.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm OK with the pace. I'd drive needles into my eyes if I had to live with Ragefire/Lockjaw release rates.
  4. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

I agree with the synopsis of this thread.

Tripling or quadrupling the key would be more in line with the spirit of progressing through multi-tiered content on an expedited server like Phinigel. Either that or changing the progression requirements to be a one and done for credit (similar for tiers in the future)

We've done some top tier testing in OGC, we'll be looking into the lower tier raids for determining split viability soon. Meldrath is no joke to split for sure compared to Two Gods.

If there is no developer action on these, we will share our surplus keys from our splits to help guilds progress if they desire. Of course, this is something that need developer attention well ahead of launch, and I hope we'll get positive results from the development team for Underfoot and future multi-tiered content.

Satoshi/Dima
    ElaidaTL likes this.
  5. Punchu Augur

Insert wild conspiracy theory about killing Phinny for the 20th anniversary server launch here
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I'd rather they not spend time and resources for a server that has like 50 total players. They got much more important things to fix, like correcting the unlock era for Sleeper's 2.0 and the Chardok revamp.
  7. Sikash New Member

The time for devs to change flagging is probably less time than takes to drink a cup of coffee. Zones can be re-popped as not usable yet. I just hope that load balancing and picks for the zones is set to a decent amount to spawn new picks
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

You mean Phinny? LOL, you poor child.
  9. VandilIzer Augur

This guy? Am I right?

Another thought I had was what above just reducing the lockouts on some of these things, hell if the first few tiers were say 20 hour lockouts then guilds could hit those 2-3 times a week even for the most casual guilds, get the keys and leave the final tier or 2 on longer lockouts. It would be crappy to have to do the raid that many times just to get keyed but that should be easier even that changing the amount of keys that drop (though I still feel that should be very easy to code in as well).
  10. Machentoo Augur

There is a very different feel to being stuck in an expansion longer that three months when you haven't beaten it vs being stuck in an expansion for four or five months when you beat it two weeks in.

We really first ran into it on Underfoot on Fippy -- prior to that, every expansion had been 84 days like clockwork, occasionally 98, but only one or two that went longer than that. Previously, if an expansion went long, it felt like death--everyone stopped logging in at the end, and when we did raid, often it felt miserable. There is something significant about changing up a pattern that players have had repeated twenty times over five years.

But... Underfoot ended up being something like six or seven months. It definitely got tedious toward the very end. But at month four or five, when it had gone longer than any previous expansion in Fippy/Vulak history, there was still a pretty high sense of excitement and engagement among the players that were still playing. It didn't at all feel like month four of PoP/LDoN did, for instance. When you are hungry to beat an expansion and still pushing forward for the win, it mitigates the extra length of time and the breach of pattern. In our guild, at least--I can't speak for the others.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Yeah, the problem is that this IS the model for progression for modern EQ, and has been for quite a long time now. They aren't just going to toss it out and invent a new model.
  12. Croak Augur

Part of the problem is also truebox and later on a lack of Free to Play (VoA+) which would allow guilds to have a larger force on lower tier content. I wonder if it was put to a vote how many still playing on Phinny would choose to keep the restrictions.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Free to Play has never given access to current expansion content. In this instance, the situation isn't any different than it was for live players.

Truebox is absolutely going to become a larger and larger problem though.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I think this might be true if the only reason you login is to raid, but for me the majority of the time I spend in each expansion is doing all of the different group-tier quests and going after expansion specific achievements and chase items. Depending on the expansion this will take me around a month to accomplish at which point I'm left in the situation where all I have to do is login to raid for 2-3 nights per week. I would much rather have new group/solo content coming in sooner that I can binge on rather than being timegated to the next tier of raids.

I don't particularly care if I "beat" an expansions raid content in era, just as long as I'm not the last one to do so. If my options are 4-5 months of Underfoot to beat it in era or 2 months and go back to finish it during HoT I'll pick the second option every time. Adding an extra raid night in the current era to finish prior era just means more content to finish each week. Maybe if we're lucky getting rushed through eras will also make some of the later ones more difficult since we won't have a chance to farm end zones till everyone and their alts are geared to the teeth.
    Boze and Dythan like this.
  15. Croak Augur

Sure Free to Play could use any content, you just purchased the content for the account, popped a gamecard to grind out your AAs for the expansion, then dropped back to silver account and could use lower tier group and raid gear.
    On Vox for instance during VoA (When F2P was added) I ran 3 gold accounts and had 3 F2P accounts to do some older content such as DoN raids. There wasn't much to choose from for real raiding.

There were certainly people on older live servers running multiple toons F2P for raids, especially support classes.
  16. Ryak Augur

True box isn't an issue. Boxing more to split more is a band aid that isn't even actually effective.

This content was intended for full raid forces to slowly progress through content over a year, not to multi-box 5-split everything to rush through the content on an impossible time frame.

I just want to be able to play the freaking game. The existing rule set worked through underfoot, but that is where it stops working. The changes that would fix this are not even hard. Good lord.
  17. a_librarian Augur

I don't play on Phinny but I'm watching this as a Coirnav player and really hope you all get a dev response and a solution. There have been a lot of very clear and concise posts here about this and it would be very disappointing if it gets ignored and the population suffers.

It would make me rethink keeping my accounts subscribed for the long haul on Coirnav. Our base population is lower and would have less of a buffer to handle attrition through later expansion eras
  18. Machentoo Augur

Right, so not free to play...
  19. Machentoo Augur

I don't think doing the content out of era with 5 extra levels is going to result in it being more difficult, even if you lack gear. As things currently stand it is unlikely anyone would get into convorteum in era if the expansion lasts 60 days, so the whole end zone of underfoot would be done at level 90.
  20. Croak Augur

Even if you bought an expansion it was still F2P for the accounts. Like many who play on these TLP servers I have actually purchased access to content on multiple accounts, though I stopped at RoF.
    Many on TLPs buy access to content just to get bags.

How much content you get access to is based on what content you have purchased or X expansions behind, nothing to do with F2P or Gold status (silver accounts only grandfathered in I think now).