New alternate currency

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Qbert, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

2. Ekadzati Lorekeeper

For many years, I have said that upgrading the LDoN adventure system to permit player-driven selection of preferred experience types/outcomes would be an amazing and potentially revitalizing thing:

- As a player, I can select preferences for reward type so I receive the reward that matters most to me at the moment:
    - As a player, I can select to receive an XP reward so I receive less currency, gear, or quest drops, but a higher than usual/normal experience gain.
    - As a player, I can select to receive a currency reward by achieved progression[1] so I receive less XP, gear, or quest drops, but a higher than usual/normal currency gain.
    - As a player, I can select to receive a gear reward for a targeted class/slot combination, so I receive the reward I want, but forego all other rewards to get it (i.e., no xp, no currency, no faction, etc... "Just the dropz, Ma'am.").
    - As a player, I can select to receive a quest drop reward, but forgo all other rewards to get it (as previous).
    - As a player, I can select to receive an accelerated faction reward, but forgo all other rewards to get it (as previous)[2].
    - As a player, I can select preferences for play duration so the adventure is constrained to the total available time I have to commit to the gaming session:
    - As a player, I can select total play time in hh:mm format so I inform the quest generation system of my available play time.
    - As the system, I must adjust parameters of the adventure to permit completion within player total play time limit so personalized adventure experience is supported:
    - As the system, I must reject any player request where[3]:
    * [Average Kill Time] of [Mob 001] >= [Total play time]
    * [Total play time] <= [Average Time to Acquire] of [Requested reward]

Oookay, well, that's enough free work out of me; besides, I don't think it's possible for them to pull something like that off without more resources. Still, it's fun to dream. (And I didn't even get on my "Kickstart Migration Omega to a new engine, beat the competition at your own game, GDI. Well. Almost.)

Also, it's hella late and I should sleep.

p.s.: Please fix Treddlehoop.

[1] - If I can receive a currency reward for "chronobins" as a result of progression, then the option to receive them as a reward is presented; conversion/exchange rate adds an interesting and exponentially emergent probability that an economy of scale presents itself. Considerable other acquisition benefits exist, along with significant erosion-proofing built in. Oh, and I should mention it would also pave the way for content drops that could support everything from A/B double-blind playtesting (data mining for design) to whichever economic research is currently underway in a lab (can you say, "additional revenue stream").

[2] - A general curve here could work wonders for tedium factor (Speaking as a product designer looking at a market of players who demand more for less) and I suspect it would also invigorate otherwise stagnant servers.

[3] - This protects against overt abuse without needing to detail the logic to death; so long as you have some idea of the items in brackets, you can formulate something to make this work. The question of cyclomatic complexity does arise, but that's what taxonomy and reference tables are for, right?

3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I've been wondering about the Crystalized Luck myself; but haven't found anything either.

As far as how to pronounced Luclin; it has been pronounced differently by Dev's over the years. When SoL came out, the Dev's use both the Loose-lin and Luke-lin pronunciations regularly when speaking about the hidden moon of Norrath. It was only later that the Luck-lin pronunciation came into use. As afar as I am concerned the moon's name is pronounced differently depending on who is saying it in game; thus making all of the pronunciations correct.
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ya, I've pretty much given up for now and I am operating under the assumption that it snuck onto the vendor earlier than it should have.

I can only hope it turns out to be something usable by everyone and not raiders only (i.e. currencies for which one needs kills/flags to be able to use) or tlp servers only (in the sense of olllllld currencies that hold near-zero value to live servers, such as LDoN/DoN points).
  5. kizant Augur

Whatever it's for there's a 99% chance that it's for something useless or pointless. No reason to make a big deal about it.
  6. Riou EQResource

Ignore it until beta starts within the next month or ignore it until Anniversary time :p
  7. Absor Developer

I require proof that any dev, and any time said other that Luck-lin. If they did, I shall have to slay them.

A
    Thunderkiks, Quatr, Selerra and 8 others like this.
  8. Rickate Augur

En-ne-greth: You say tomato, I say tomahto
    Ab-zor: Prepare to die!
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

At the roll out party for SoL the devs. I talked to all said Luck-lin. BTW, the roll out parties at UTC were a lot of fun. Lots of artists there to chat with.
    Quatr likes this.
  10. Selerra Journeyman

FTFY ;)
  11. Daedly Augur

I know its not pronounced Looselin, but i do anyways. When I see people call it Lucklin, i imagine it being said with a a Scottish or Irish accent. Not that there is anything wrong with that...
  12. Brohg Augur

that you have to change the spelling to express the latter, wrong pronunciation should speak (heh.) volumes
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

L
    Loch Lenn...
  14. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Das racist. :p
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Would love to, but seeing as some of the time was pre-YouTube and before people regularly uploaded everything to the internet it is not easy to find. Plus the active destroying all evidence of alternate pronunciations in more recent years hasn't helped either. I really don't see why people saying it different matters.