Why do you play the tank class you play?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Dreadmore, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Dreadmore Augur

From the practical to the circumstantial, maybe even just due to lore, I'm curious to hear why you play your class and, presumably, why you enjoy it.

I started a shadow knight back in 2001ish because I like dark elves, and what better way to honor Innoruuk than to play his creation in both race and class forms? Now it's just out of practicality, as my SHD is the most geared, most AAed, and fits my playstyle with all those nice AE agro abilities. But I don't feel as if SHDs are all that cool anymore. Hah, I guess the more people do something, the less cool it becomes.

I'd like to get more into my paladin and warrior. I don't know firsthand how well they perform at their best, but I at least like the ideas of their classes. Valiant and courageous, or brutal and powerful. I have a feeling a warrior would be more fun though, especially in a group full of ADPS and melee synergy classes. but a paladin was the very first character I ever made
  2. Repthor Augur

At least he takes a bath
  3. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I started with SK and then stumbled into warrior followed by a pally. SK and Pally are EOK raid geared and warrior is ROS raid geared. I really appreciate the differences and hope threads and complaints here by others do not diminish those unique qualities and roles that you can experience by playing the two knights and then the warrior as the tanks classes in EQ.

Of the recent nerfs that have hit the hardest I would say the SK has bore the brunt of the worst of it. Only self heal from the current target and the weapon stance changes with 2handers made for big adjustments for SKs unless you overmatch content. I really didn't feel like going down an expansion to overmatch so the role of my SK was diverted to box groups where support was to be had. Previous to that the SK could really molo\duo just about anything.

I am still learning the pally. Taking on hoards of mobs really is not the forte of the paladin but single target aggro is just honestly as good as any of the other two classes being compared. I feel like maybe "Make Pally Alliance "(or good in the first place?) would help perhaps. The real expert (I do not include myself yet) pallies are making a thread on how to help here.

And lastly, the freakin warrior. Just owns. I dont understand the complaints about the class at all. It's just a more strategic playstyle that requires more planning and forethought on how different encounters will branch out in various ways that impact which discs and abilities you want to hold back. I guess this makes it hard for the spastic button spammers to play?
    Dreadmore likes this.
  4. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

I made an Erudite Paladin shortly after EQ came out because the RL friend that was playing was an Erudite Wizard. I figured we would need a tank of some sort and back then SK wasn't an option. If it had been, I would have taken that route instead. My EQ2 character was an SK, so there is proof that I learn from my mistakes. I still play the Paladin because I honestly don't have the time to devout to switching classes on a new character and doing it justice.
    Dreadmore likes this.
  5. Seldom Augur

I started vanilla Everquest as a Cleric main and had a crazy amount of fun in the prime years of EQ’s popularity. It made the most sense to go Paladin next, followed by Warrior. Later came my Shadowknight. I currently play the 3 tank classes.

The Paladin was and is the most fun. This is mainly due to a more sandbox, social, and nostalgic feel when playing versus class balance. I use to enjoy buffing random folks/lowbies, stumbling upon wiped groups that needed a rezz, terrorizing the undead and various other activities I deemed ‘’Paladinish”. For the most part in modern day EQ, with the Cleric mercs, heavy instancing etc. this aspect is nowhere near the same level unfortunately

Regardless, by far, I get the most tells for help while logged in on Paladin which I find no coincidence. Many Holy Knight duties remain luckily :). Nice thread topic Dreadmore
    Dreadmore likes this.
  6. Dreadmore Augur

I'm curious about this. Do warriors have a ton more disciplines/combat abilities around tanking than SHDs?

ROS group content is such that I as a group-geared SHDs can handle maybe three or four at once without an ability or leech running (of course more for people more skilled and geared than I). SHDs have a variety of abilities that help with tanking, but I tend not to overthink it or rank them, so I don't try to pick the right one for the situation, whether in preparation or in the middle of battle. Rather, I just overpull and activate any available ability if it looks like I need the help.

The one encounter that sold me on warriors was in Veeshan's Peak. A former guildie of mine with a cleric went in to kill one of the static named. I had no idea how they were going to pull that off since, from my experience as a SHD, two unlucky rounds would drop me dead. I leave them to it, come back 10-15 minutes later, and the two are still up and fighting each other. It's like those unlucky rounds that would've done me in eventually, whether in seconds or a few minutes max, just had no effect on him as a warrior. Kudos to Drogba for soloing one. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that.
  7. Dreadmore Augur

Those were fun times, yeah. I remember running saving quite a few newbies with Lay Hands, even as a newbie myself. I think you put it into words well why PAL and WAR are more attractive to me: They have a more socially visible role, lore- and character-wise. Nice to hear it still exists today. I only get tells for help on my SHD because people know me, not because I am a SHD :p

Also, Paladins got the Soulfire!
    Seldom likes this.
  8. Xenze Elder

Started with an SK, based off the idea of them. This last go round of coming back, I started fresh and made another SK that I ran as a main for the longest time. Then I kept seeing all the threads about Warriors vs SKs and this one needs a boost, or X ability is over powered, and decided to roll with a Warrior to see what it's all about.

I love my SK, and I'm getting ready to go back to him here directly...but the Warrior is just a beast. There's no denying that.

Yes. Because they do not have spells, they're made up for in AAs and activated abilities. I have quite a few hot bars set up on my SK...but that doesn't compare to what I have set up for the Warrior lol
    Dreadmore likes this.
  9. Brohg Augur

It can't be argued, on a factual level, but I feel like it is a surface truth. Combat abilities have cooldowns & overlaps that spell casts do not, so it's not like warriors do more or have more options moment to moment. Having 11 buttons that together cover the function of one chain-cast spell is not actually having more abilities.
    Outlander Engine, Xenze and Dreadmore like this.
  10. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

This is important too...ie, understanding that when you reach up and choose ability A to get you just enough aggro or just enough tankiness for a given situation you are likely to activate one or two other abilities, B & C, that round out the equation.
  11. Issk Journeyman

I started an SK as a test character to see if I'd like the game... I just kept playing him.
  12. S33k3r Augur

I started my SK back when Serpent's Spine was released. It was my 2nd toon and I wanted to experience the new low level zones that came out with that expansion. I picked a SK as it allowed me to FD if I needed to afk or switch to my main.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Made the war in 2000 or so to tank in raids.

Keep it now because it is a great six box tank. If i could switch classes id probably switch to SK for an expansion.
  14. Flatchy Court Jester

Flatchy was my first toon and still my favorite. Back then (65 was max) I mostly solo'd him to max just because I played odd hours. Took a long time but could be done. Soloability is why I loved the SK.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

It looks cool to have two swords.
    Raludar, S33k3r and Dreadmore like this.
  16. Dreadmore Augur

I think I have to declare this the best non-practical reason
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Rangerlogic has no place here, sir!