New tlp (krono)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Sep 22, 2018.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

How about.... an UNLOCKED server! Everyone is level 1 but its basically live (with aoc) and from the get go its just a race to the end!

No waiting, no stalling, no nonsense. .. just high population and you never need to lose all your guildies as you wait for xyz expansion.
  2. Zanarnar Augur

isn't that just a live server? how is a server with everything unlocked a progression server?

I mean, if your asking for a new event where the goal is to beat the latest xpac.. eh.. i guess i still don't get it.
  3. Jontrann Augur

Exactly what i was thinking lol, this is basically just phinny.
  4. Nolrog Augur

I'm also trying to figure out how (krono) fit in anywhere with the OP.
  5. snailish Augur

A new paid sub to play live server with phinny rules vs. just letting phinny getting to live and keeping it paid sub to play...

The last plain live servers they dropped were basically a rush to wake sleeper and then low pop. Trakanon has been one of the emptiest servers for a long time, Vox is a bit better (I've played both).

I think keeping phinny's pop subbed is the better $ bet, especially if the server is incentivized with higher xp, faction, bonus spawns, tradeskill bonus, etc.

Becomes the premiere preferred server (Legends 2.0 in a way). The place many will pay to transfer to.

Maybe. really depends if Phinny holds population past SoD.
  6. Finnster Elder

this new server idea would only make sense if the level cap was continuously increased. First season level 50, next season level 60, etc.
    So you can try to kill Velious with just level 50s and GoD with just level 60s.

that might actually be interesting.
  7. Hateseeker Augur

What about an instant unlock server? Once Naggy and Vox die, Planes come out, once all planes are beaten, Kunark comes, rinse and repeat?
  8. kdomg Journeyman

Is the game too easy 'as-is'? I mean most guilds on these TLPs that put forth any degree of effort, and can keep any semblance of a decent roster going, pretty much complete expansions 'in-era', i.e. 90 days. With that in mind, here's a few ideas:

Max 30 server:
    1. Open world raid mobs banish if more than 30 get on its hate list (this could probably be exploited somehow, EQ players are amazing at figuring things out, but maybe could be solved).
    2. All instance raids are limited to 30.

I think this would certainly up the challenge. It would likely put guilds in a position where they'd have to wait for levels/gear/next expansion in order to clear the previous expansion with 30.

As for the open world raid mobs, if every player after 30 is banished, then if 2 (or more) guilds engage at the same time, it would be pretty interesting if the race became like 18 vs. 12. I think this would put more emphasis on first to engage.

All or Nothing server:
    1. All characters that do not complete the expansion in-era have their level reset to 1 upon release of the next expansion.
    2. The pressure to raid and win, and keep your level would be crazy.

Level-locked server:
    1. For expansions with level increase, you're capped until you beat the previous expansions. For example, you're stuck at 60 until you beat AHR, you're stuck at 65 until you beat Tunat.....etc.

These are probably terrible ideas, but maybe something interesting could be derived from em.
  9. MaxTheLion Augur

I wonder how much of the TLP playerbase has/is playing in content past the ~10th expansion of EQ and not basing their ideas on repeated playthrough of Classic-PoP. Content does get tougher and lower numbers will lead to guilds not completing content in era. Lack of completion leads to attrition as people start to feel they are not getting rewarded for time invested. Although Phinigel still has a strong raiding population, the smaller guilds are already starting to merge due to event mechanics in Solteris requiring more numbers or attention than boxed characters can provide. Your proposed server might start as a race but end up failing because the more "hardcore" players will stall and have to wait for the "casual" crowd to bolster their numbers.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

The fundamental difference, and it is significant, is that everyone is level 1 and naked at the same time.

Do you want to race the finish in as little as possible?

Do you want to smell the roses?

Skip kunark altogether?

Go straight to velious?

Well, you can have all of this!

The only big change i would think is good is slower exp... believe it or not! Maybe do double aa exp but half level exp.
  11. Febb Augur

The Combine/Sleeper was the server that had this ruleset. It was a disaster for mid tier guilds that couldn't keep up with RoI unlocking expansions very quickly.
  12. Hateseeker Augur

Weren't those the first round of TLPs way back in 2006 (can't remember exact year)? I'd guess things would be different now, also, perhaps there could be maybe a 2 week delay, no voting, after unlock parameters are achieved. A good chunk of leveling and gearing can be done in 2 weeks to catch up, at least if there's instancing to deflect content blocking, yet it's a blink of an eye as far as people not getting bored knowing that new content is incoming fast -
  13. snailish Augur

Racing unlock rulesets will support 2 guilds, maybe 3 if people are really into the racing... but can end being just one guild on a private server. IF it makes Daybreak $... let it happen.

This ruleset could be viable, and could probably be on a perpetual cycle of "catch live, next one starts in two weeks".

Would probably need an incentive (account wide reward) for beating each era first to make people want to race all the way (or to try and race if one guild became dominant for multiple eras in a row).
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Race unlocks really wont be anything more than a 1 or 2 man race... weve had a lot of tlps now and there just arent enough hardcore players to support many guilds.

Another reason just to dump the whole load on the server from day 1. Take the edge off!
  15. Warzon Elder

The most profitable server in the history of Daybreak will be a boxing-allowed TLP with the FV rulesets, Ragefire/Lockjaw Pickzones and AoC style instancing. It would be packed with players, have a vibrant in-game and krono economy. Guilds that want to DPS race and compete would/could. Everyone else/box crews have the instances. Dedicate a GM or three to quickly and efficiently deal with griefing in classic, as well as adjusting the pick thresholds based on that real-world feedback (assuming grefing is related to competition over camps). Such a server would end up getting split four ways by the end of Kunark, overflowing with players.

And it will never happen because nobody understands how No Drop on practically everything begat the ruining. "You should have to earn it." Yea.
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

Gms alone probably sink your ideal.
  17. jeskola pheerie

You were doing pretty good until that.... gotta keep realistic expectations
  18. Risiko Augur

When I saw the thread title, I thought maybe he was going to suggest a TLP server where you have to spend Krono for everything ;)
  19. Croak Augur

DBG have been pretty fast responding to tickets recently. I would love to see FV rules TLP, maybe even starting at PoP (because Stromm was seriously fun).
    I played on Vox too, but then the level cap was 90 then 95 just as VoA launched. You ended up with a few lv85/90s farming everything for the lv60+ people levelling up. Get your epic 2.0 as you ding etc, but in those days people were nowhere near as greedy.
    Some of those that levelled up very fast were using exploits to do it.
    Epic 2.0 for my SK, 5th epic 2.0 on server, 2nd SK, only cost me 50kpp for orb, which didn't cost me any krono or gamecards at the time, as was equivalent to 1kr-2kr compared to what gamecards were selling for at the time.
    Having fabled mobs up in plane of fire etc made it complicated for those looking to exp there, but using a fabled 2hr from plane of earth was great for my SK lv75+
  20. Xhartor Augur

It would be nice seeing a TLP server that offered a different experience. Like launching with Luclin or TSS (No defiant gear). Have unlocks happen in batches based off the level cap. To see what happens when you give players a chance to move away from the classic progression order. Other things that could spice it up like having BL's and Zerkers available in old world.