Corinav - Really don't understand the bad rep

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Midnitewolf, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Midnitewolf Augur

So I started on the Corinav server exactly 2 months ago today and now at level 43 with my Chanter (and in the teens with several alts) I really don't understand where it comes from.

So far my leveling experience overall have been pretty good. Occasionally it gets a bit hard to find a group, especially if I am being picky where I want to go but usually within 15-20 mins or less I have a group be it with my Chanter or with my Alts which including a Mage, Necro, Druid and Shaman. Additionally the game play experience while in this groups has been generally positive with most being low on the friction and good on the attitude and everyone seems open minded to even times where I tell them I only have an hour or so to actually group up. Not one person has given me a hard time about anything.

As far as general player interactions, aside from a few arguments about the value of this or that item that I was buying or selling in the tunnel, or an idiot or two in a random PUG, I have had very little complaint as well. I have only run into 2-3, lets call them "eccentric" individuals that I would rather not cross paths with but no more and perhaps even less than I except in any MMO.

As far as problems with high levels camping out spawns and things like that, sure I run into that but how is that different than back in the day? Also with picks available if one pick is camped, often you can just go to another.

As far as the guilds on the server, I have had no real issues. I have grouped with many RI, GB, MIM, and other recognizable guild members often and most seemed like normal everyday players just like me and many have been very helpful and fun grinding companions. I have even had these individuals go out of their way to help me. The only issue I ever had with a guild was in Lguk where they were AoE'ing and aggro'ing/training the entire zone and in the process trained MoB over our camp twice and that turned out to be my buddies guild which not only apologized but also stopped their rampage both times to make sure my groups bodies got to a safe place and received 95% rezes. They even pulled out of the zone after it happened the 2nd time since they realized it was causing issues.

So yeah, I don't get it. I don't see the problem with this sever or rather I think the problem with this server has more to do with forum trolls trying to sabotage it than anything actually happening in game or if it is things happening in game, they are isolated incidents that people have turned into much more of a thing than they really are.
    blake likes this.
  2. Ryak Augur

The problem is the server's starting population isn't big enough to sustain it long term if it follows a similar trend to previous TLP servers.

It's like planning a driving trip from Florida to Alaska but only starting with half the amount of gasoline you need. So far you made it to Alabama and everything seems ok, but there's a LONG way to go still. And there's no such thing as refueling on TLP servers.

Honestly i'd be happy to be wrong. Because i'm sure there are some people who only just heard of TLP servers in time for Coirnav, but the Fippy precedent looms dangerously.
    Jontrann and snailish like this.
  3. snailish Augur

Coirnav is the little brother someone got when they expected a pony. Not everyone handles that with grace.

[Though slower XP really didn't make sense as a feature]
  4. a_librarian Augur

Basically they released it too early, before Agnarr reached it's lock, and they released it as an exact clone of Phinny. People saw it as an FU to players on both of those servers.

I personally was playing on Agnarr in spite of the expansion lock not because of it, and felt like Phinny had passed too much content I'd like to see in it's era. So Coirnav made sense to me, but I understand why people were upset, though being bitter about it at this point is just insane.

Also their decision to use the slow xp rate was a very poor choice. For one it supported people's assumptions that the server was a cash grab, where a slow xp rate would extract more money from people using xp potions to deal with it. Also because the TLP concept isn't new like it was with Phinny, you can't recreate the conditions of that server because it's 2018 and people have different expectations now.

I don't have a lot of faith in their willingness to make changes to basic server attributes like xp rate, but I really think they need to increase the rates during Velious, ideally by 30-50%. Agnarr perfected the 3 month TLP xp rate in my opinion, I think it would really improve the health of Coirnav if they matched the rates sometime during Velious.
    Fhiele likes this.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

They released Coirnav before Agnarr even hit POP.

It's one thing to release servers too quickly, but this was another level.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

The irony of your post is you described 3 of the problems of Corinav, but decided they aren't problems for you so anyone who has a different opinion is trolling.

First you have been playing 2 months and aren't max level. For people that want to raid on TLPs but don't have the 30+ hours to play a week to hit level cap in a reasonable amount of time this kinda of thing is a deal breaker. If you were playing on Ragefire/LJ or Agnarr you would be like 58-60 having played the exact same amount of time.

Second you said you haven't had much trouble finding groups. But groups are always easy to find sub 20 and enchanter+healer is basically the group in Classic-SoV and since Healers generally outnumber chanters, chanters typically have an absurdly easy time finding groups. To put things in perspective, i was an enchanter this time on Phinny. As soon as i logged in before i even finished loading i would have tells from friends asking if i wanted a group, i would get tells from random people asking if i wanted to join their group even when i was already in one and if i ever had to actually /lfg on. I would get tells from like 5 different people in the first 2 mins of having LFG on. If it sometimes takes you 20 mins to find a group imagine what it's like a normal DPS class or a weak one like a rogue. You can legit LFG and try to form a group for hours not make a single blue bar of XP.

Third you got trained and ONLY got rezzed because your group was friends with the people that trained you. Imagine if they didn't know him they would've do the " of newb go somewhere els" routine. This wasn't really a thing at all on Phinny because people hadn't figured out how to get around the true box code all that well yet so you didn't have boxers trying to AoE zones nearly as much. This kinda stuff will get more frequent as you get into higher level zones and was more frequent in the lower level ones and will be again when boxers change/start new FoTM dps classes.
  7. Fhiele Augur

If Coirnav was new starting September 1st, I'd liquidate all my sellables on Agnarr and start on Coirnav now. Like others said, they made a poor timing decision for its release. And the XP rate is pretty meh, but not a dealbreaker really. We all max our level before halfway through a level-increase expansion anyway, and some of us within a day or two.
  8. blake New Member

Umm I just came back to eq because I just saw they released this server. I didn't know there was any hate torwards it. But personally I can care less. Why? Because I'm actually having fun in eq again.people can troll all they want but at the end of the day it does not effect me what so ever.
  9. Zinkeh Augur

The problem is that the leveling speed is quite slow and the content releases quite fast. A new player essentially must come to the server with krono to spend and someone to Power Level them if they want a chance to see anything resembling current content. The alternative is to play pretty much non stop and grind for 3 months and miss velious completely.

If the content was say, 6 months per expansion or something the slow exp would make a bit more sense but it's really friggin' slow...and the content is dropping every 3 months.
  10. Gremin Augur

Just have fun, screw what others think.
    Kahna likes this.
  11. Crayon123 Augur

Hard to enjoy a treadmill of a server with a server pop so low that the EC Tunnel appears barren. Consequently, more than half the classes are closed off from recruitment in any of the bigger raiding guilds these days and they're stuck recruiting only Clerics and Wizards. Not much variety or incentive for a newcomer to Coirnav. That server will be DOA with the 20th Anniversary server launch coming up quickly in March.
  12. a_librarian Augur

you probably have never actually logged into the server if this is your take on it. Guilds are recruiting every class, there's a hundred plus people in commonlands even on off hours, and still active low level population.

A new TLP with fast xp is going to hurt Phinny, Agnarr and Coirnav for sure, they haven't announced a thing about what their plan is so you're just stating your assumption as fact.
    Kahna likes this.
  13. Gronns Lorekeeper

If nothing else the Chinese farmers will keep it alive!
  14. mattie diesel Journeyman

Although it's not my preferred place to play (prefer perm-locked content), I do have a wizard I play Coir with, and I could agree with plenty of the good things said about the server. From a non-endgame perspective, grouping isn't horrible (yet). Community is very nice and respectful, as well as responsive. There's a nice handful of good people that WILL help you with issues (as is there in most servers), and I honestly think that's a very important quality mostly for new players. However, I AM concerned in the sense the exp is too slow for the progression, and it likely WILL hurt the server one day, more so than it is while it's young in expansions. Once we're talking past LDON, I'm super curious to see how many people stay within the next 4-5 exp's, or better yet how many people will be willing to join...

not if there's multiple other servers that have higher populations and players buying gold. Much less likely atleast.. Which is very possible if not likely after sleeper is done, and is closer to finishing vintage content. (which happens too soon is the point of a lot of these posts)
  15. Fuzzbutt Elder

Of course you have no problem getting groups, I have seen 2-3 enchanters in the same group.
  16. Midnitewolf Augur

Well from reading all the post, I now think I understand why my experiences with the game are different from alot of people and it comes down to expectations.

I see alot of people saying the experience progression is too slow or asking why aren't you max level and realized I had and have entirely different expectations than these people.

First, progression speed. I see the XP rate to be about perfect. I took my newly dinged 33rd level Necro to Dreadlands last night and in about 3 hours, managed to ding 34. That is plenty fast in fact I almost feel it is too fast because it just feels like I am rushing past content.

Also I came back to EQ because I was tired of a gaming experience where I would hit max level inside of a couple weeks. I don't want lightning fast progression, not in the slightest. I want time to do things I didn't do back when during the early days of 2000 so I focus on doing dungeons I didn't do, exploring areas I never went to and playing classes I might not have played in live such as my Enchanter, which is also why I am not max level, too many alts.

As far as grouping, I have a level 52 Chanter, 34 Necro, 27 Shadow Knight, 18 Shaman, 16 Mage and 14 Druid which covers pretty much the whole spectrum and I don't have issues finding a group with any of them but again my expectations are different. I don't expect to get a group 5 minutes after I /ooc LFG because back in the day, I couldn't expect to get a group this fast most of the time either.

I am not saying the game or Corinav is perfect but it is no where near bad as people make it out to be and this negativity displayed here on the forums causes more harm than anything that is going on in game.
    Risiko likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I wouldn't worry about that. Starting at 45 things slow down quite a bit.
  18. Kahna Augur

Considering he said he has a 52 chanter as well he is probably aware of the post 45 leveling speed.