I'm curious to see how well a LITERAL, classic, EQ server would perform with today's standards.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sagarmatha, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Rickate Augur

The level cap was 60 when Vaz launched, that's either a typo or simply false. Techno statement is imprecise, the banish was implemented because Naggy was being soloed.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack dragons on fire off the shoulder of Luclin. I watched beam spells glitter in the dark near the Discord Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die, mobs.
    Iphrium, snailish and Prathun like this.
  3. Prathun Developer

4. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

[IMG]
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

That's going on the alla page.
    malaki likes this.
  6. Risiko Augur

LOL you crack me up.

It's funny that to this date I always believed that happened. I've lived a lie >.<
    Prathun likes this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

For me it was my enchanter dinging 60 in Seb. The EXP bar looked like it was maxed for 10 hours. Maybe a bit of hyperbole, but level 60 was one of the infamous hell levels and you really couldn't tell, within a few hours, when you were going to ding.

Also, rogue epic 2.0 was pretty memorable.

More recently, getting epic 1.5s done for some of my 5-box crew, in era, with just group gear (Phinny).
  8. Anglesy Elder

Lots of those things were things I enjoyed.
    1. Corpse runs- Death should have harsh penalties. You should fear death to the point of actively taking steps to avoid it rather than treating it as an acceptable loss. As someone else mentioned, this is part of what drives immersion and making your character an extension of yourself rather than a created character in a game.
    2. Maps- I don't hate maps but I wish they would have done them differently. I shouldn't be able to download a map pack off the internet and suddenly have the location of every NPC and path in the game fully integrated into the game. A cartography skill would have been a much better option that essentially functioned the way maps do in Zelda dungeons where only areas you have explored appear on your map with a higher skill leading to more detail. This also drives people to explore.
    3. Find is also an immersion breaker, kind of like giving every vendor a title that lists what they're selling or blinking arrows above quest givers. Also discourages exploring.
    4. Spellbook meditating- aside from the fact that you already didn't have to deal with this after 35, it's not especially immersion breaking having it in place. Just means you had to find a safer spot to med or have your melee friends keep an eye out for you while you've got your nose buried in a spellbook. I'll give you this one.
    5. Click from bags- this is probably a design limitation that existed in classic and I don't see any issue with this.
    6. Do you mean extended target window? That would be a solid QoL improvement I can live with that doesn't drastically make the game any easier, just less clunky.
    7. Pickzone is related to instances and instances are bad 100% of the time. Everyone should be sharing the world and I mean every bit of it. If you want to be in a prime camp get in a prime guild, otherwise settle for lesser camps. Life isn't fair and you're not a hero, I don't want a game that treats everyone like they should be.
    8. This is another probable design limitation of the late 90s. This can stay.
    9. No real issue with shared bank slots seeing as in the real world people can share bank accounts.
    10. Real coin has real weight, they should have just made higher currencies than plat- 100 plat being a diamond or something.
    11. Pets should indeed not vanish when you zone as zoning is simply a design limitation of the game.
    12. As mentioned on #7 instances are always a bad thing.

The problem with a lot of these complaints about classic is that it's all viewed through the lens of today where content is something to be raced through, rather than taken fully in before completing. I'd love to see a server with slower than Coirnav(maybe even slower than classic) xp that has *long* periods of time between expansion unlocks and no instances, forcing people out of prime content and into spending time not just grinding but adventuring out in the world- doing tradeskills, learning languages, taking groups to dungeons and camps that are underused(see: Runnyeye, Dagnor's, Lake Rathetear, Gorge of King Xorbb, Kerra Isle, etc), and doing faction work. A lot of that seems like a waste on a server with a 3 month unlock where in a year everything you've worked on is completely useless(especially faction). It's really all about immersion for me- every character I've ever created has a backstory and I can RP them all night if I feel like.
    Aegir likes this.
  9. Gio1999 Augur

Going to have to hard disagree here. This was everything wrong with the open world set up. 5% or less of the people playing the game get to experience raid content and those 5% have to be power gamers to compete with each other.

Life isn't fair?

Okay then... why do power gamers get better gear? Why even have gear disparity based on what mobs drop? Maybe gear should be 100% crafting skill based? What? It's not fair that raiders get crappy gear for doing hard content? But I thought life isn't fair? *rolling my eyes*

Seriously though that silly "life isn't fair" statement aside.. your ideas would kill the game because the vast majority of people would be right to complain about 'no end game'.. "Well if you want to see the end game you're going to need to be in a "prime" guild." Yeah okay buddy.
    Ryak and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  10. Anglesy Elder

It's obviously not EQ, but the easy solution to that would be more raid content of a wider range of difficulties. An average player should never see the highest tier of any MMO- that should be reserved for people who are spending 40+ hours a week on the game. I have no problem with high end crafted gear either, it should just take ridiculous amounts of work to get.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Hmmm... I clearly remember their being open discussions about it on the ancient forums (that being the ones without any bells and whistles and were not achieved before being replaced). There were even active Devs at the time who commented on it as if it was true and that the NPC in question had been removed. I want to say there was even really vague references to it in the patch notes at the time. No details were given, but it was also not denied that it existed. How it was utilized was always what the actual rumors were about from what I recall.
  12. Jendan New Member

Who actually added this? Great reference :)

[IMG]
    Iphrium and Aegir like this.
  13. snailish Augur

Someone else was saying XP should be slower to get people to do the content.

I've been super-casual for years. I think there are a lot of harmful to having a population on the server ideas in this thread (Prathun's contributions to the thread have been a hilight though!).

I hold the unpopular view that pickzone is not a good thing. Not why Anglesy says so though... I think it is not needed as an available all the time bandaid on old content. I think it throws the gear economy out of whack on progression, and creates a "tunnel vision" leveling experience. Some places were too busy and you couldn't get a group there easily... now the vast majority of leveling is in the repetitive chain of zones (while efficient, this is not conducive to longterm progression replay in my view).

BUT, I concede that servers launching in original need pickzone because the content can't support the # of players. I think a server starting at Velious would greatly alleviate that issue --but you'd still need it in newbie zones the first week.

Most of the gear concerns would be dealt with if more pre-PoP stuff was no drop.

I'd rather see pickzone outside of newbie zones restricted to only the current expac content, but again that is my unpopular view that will never happen.

^having said all of this I am fine with Agents of Change. They help the sell of the modern progression server --probably true as well for the more popular view that pickzones are good.

-----

As far as the slow XP comment(s) go. Slow is a personal choice, go kill light blues. Slow XP is a major negative to many players, hurts the alt game and makes a single death wipe out too much time-spent for those not able to get a rez. A faster than current live XP rate progression server would be very busy imo.

If you want people to see more of the world in PrePoP content... nodrop the loot, make loot of equal quality in areas of equal difficulty (maybe tweak a stat to suit a class preference) and give people a reason to go to the out of the way places, flatline all XP (so density/diffilculty of mobs and the loot rewards, and ease of travel/access determine where is popular). Or just add an achievement for killing a reasonable number of each mob type in a given expac's zones and make the reward worth doing the rather long quest...
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Totally disagree for TLPs.

Once upon a time I used to set up in a likely looking spot in a brand new zone and start pulling to see what named would spawn. It was semi-fun and I had no other choice. I don't want to do that anymore. Sites like Alla's, Almar's, etc. have mob info, usually with spawn location. These named being marked on the map just make it easier. By the way, if you don't like it, either:
    • Edit your map files to remove the named.
    • Use only the default maps.
    I think what you're saying is, "I don't want other people to be able to download maps off the internet and know the spawn location of named mobs.
  15. urbanbo70 Elder

I bought a Staff of Writhing (had the skull at the top) for my Wizard when I started playing in June of 99. I bought it for $50. Other items I considered buying because they were the most awesome items I saw in Gfay was the Mistmoore Shield and Oracle Robe. The first caster I saw hanging outside of Felwithe with an Oracle Robe on had a crowd around him. Don't even get me started on the Rubicite (drool).
    Lineater likes this.
  16. Prathun Developer

Kavhok entered the data, but it may have been someone else who penned the lines. There were some ghost writers for PoP. :)
    Jendan likes this.
  17. That One Guy Augur

How come the people who dislike Pick zones, tend to forget the fact that we all share ONE server at a time now. They don't have 15 servers going through Kunark at the EXACT same time. The population is super packed on these TLPs. The pick zones are necessary. It'd be like original EQ only having 1 server... That would not have worked, clearly.

There might be multiple progression servers, but if you want to experience Kunark, in era, you have ONE server to pick from. Pick zones are needed and appreciated.
  18. Barton The Mischievous

I may not be a hero but I pay to be one in this game so instances are good.
    This game and the things that went on before instancing and The play nice rules was crap. The whole belief that somehow because of when you could log in or how long you could stay logged in should matter more than the fact that everyone pays the same as you do to play the game and have access to the content was crap.
    Jendan likes this.
  19. Jendan New Member

Wait for the obligatory, "hurr durr you're just a WoW baby who can't handle a real hardcore game!"

Meanwhile most of the people that claim this hardcore crap never played EQ PvP and would get wrecked in any form of skill based (I mean other games as I wouldn't argue EQ PvP was very skill based, but it certainly was more hardcore per their definition) gameplay where they're playing vs. an actual person.
  20. Barton The Mischievous

Well since I'm older and played this game Since June? July? of 99 missed launch due to moving and such they can try it but , I know and I'm not overly concerned about what some random person thinks. Played PVP in EQ there was "some" skill involved but balance was a joke at best lol. I did try WoW at launch with a lot of guildies and others and We came back to EQ because WoW was just to easy for us at the time( have played it after that with my son and daughter and friends Just not as fun for me as EQ). Gotta have a balance I guess
    Jendan likes this.