How do you effectively deal with deadweight groupmates?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastrom, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Hinastrom Elder

So im kinda tilted, just to start

Had a SK in an unrest FP group not cast any spells for 45+ minutes....we were doing ok b/c our chanter was good, and had twinked monks, but then I immediately die while healing on a harder pull when the chanter is getting resists, and hes continuing not to cast anything.

I'd like to actually instruct people like this, but I fear they'll just get angry and snap back, as tends to happen pretty often when people try to help in online games.

Have you guys had any success with this? Maybe I just need the right icebreaker? Obviously not "listen here you worthless " =P
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

At least bring it up. A lot of people when called will shape up. Theyre probably barely paying attention and figure everyone is fine.

Honestly its not your fault if they get upset for playing lazy in a group. They could solo if they are so inclined.
  3. Crayon123 Augur

Listen here you worthless...
  4. Fhiele Augur

Say "Hey man, Shadowknights are a great class. I mean, with your dots and snare and stuff, you can almost keep up with a real DPS class, and the snare has such high aggro, you don't even need your taunt key. How are you liking playing one so far". That gives him the info he needs without insulting him or pointing out what he isn't doing.
    Elskidor likes this.
  5. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

1: Does anyone have group leader aside from you? Yes? Make sure to get that from them, lie and say something like theres a replacement on the way you’d like to invite. Technically you’re telling the truth here anyway.

2: The problem was the SK? Join Warrior, Paladin, Shadowknight, Ranger and General chats then start advertising. If the SK in question notices and asks - let him know! You’re looking for a tank that wants to tank and not pretend theyre a melee dps without FD or backstab.

3: Saying goodbye. Let the group know that member X is ready to depart and his replacement is here. I suggest camp is clear in general area prior to notification and all valuables are looted. Thank Mr X for his/her service and recommend they invest in an EMP then use quickly.
  6. Wiff Elder

I would ask them politely to please stop being dead weight, twice, then kick them.

Something like this happened to me with two different toons in Velks on Agnaar. They were both in the guild I was in and both would just stop moving for 10+ minutes at a time. As soon as someone noticed, they would start fighting again.

I kicked them both times. I later found out both of them were my guild leader.
  7. Elskidor Augur

It's possible he has no idea what he's doing which could be helped constructively like this. My first character I was clueless on but luckily found a great group of friends that took me under their wing patiently and we had a blast for months leveling to cap and kicking . This was 15 years ago though so it's more likely he's just lazy, but who knows.
  8. Risiko Augur

I think I might have dealt with that same idiot in Unrest.

In my case, the SK was doing literally nothing. Half of the time, he wouldn't even get on the mob. We were ok because I was the enchanter, and I was taking care of everything for the most part (pulling, charm tanking, crowd control).

At one point, the SK says "I'm going to be gone for a bit." We were like how long is a bit, and he snapped back, "I'm in a Phinny raid on another character. Is that a problem?!" Obviously, we were like, "yeah... lol"

He dropped group in mid fight with multiple mobs, and basically was like see ya. Funny thing was that he thought he was punishing us. I LOL'd. We did fine with out him.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Looking at this whole thread, he probably sucks. But given your specific example, what would you expect him to cast? Yes, he can lock down one of the mobs. But his aggro spells are DOTs at that stage of the game. Should he have dotted all the mobs the enchanter was trying to mez?
  10. Waistdeep New Member

Hinastrom, I was one of the twinkled monks in the group if it was one late last night. I'm 100% positive the SK was being boxed by the Shaman. Still a good question though if it ever comes up.
  11. TheTone Elder

Most likely, the guy is just thinking the group will carry him and that he can put forth minimal effort.

I actually find this happens in guild groups all the time.

Usually I just prod with some harmless question like, for an SK:

"Hey man, I'm (dps melee) taking a lot of hits from these guys, are they resisting your snares or something?

9 times out of 10, they come back with a stupid excuse and shape up:

"Uhhh, nah man, I was just lagging out a lot. It's all fixed now"
  12. Midnitewolf Augur

One thing I would like to add it that many times this is a result of the pace and efficiency of a group. If things are rocking along smoothly, you may very well be in a place where it doesn't require much interaction or really ends up being a waste of resources to cast. Maybe your spells are getting over-written or maybe just heavily resisted so you stop casting. Maybe the mobs are dying so fast that casting that DoT is meaningless. Maybe your not having to hold aggro or off-tank because it isn't needed. Maybe because holding aggro hasn't been needed, you change up your spells to focus on something else. Then the hits the fan, all hell breaks loses and your not prepared and someone dies because all this chaos just came out of no where.

I say this because something similar happened to me last night on my Chanter. I started off with my normal grouping spell set but we were just pulling the Entrance to Velks and was no more than 1-2 mobs per pull normally and very relaxed so since technically I need about 15 spell slots to do all the things a Chanter is expected to do, I removed my AoE Mezz and my quick casting, short duration mezz to add a couple of other spells I felt would be more compatible for the pace of the group/camp. At some point 2-3 hour in, we get trained by about 6 MoBs and all of a sudden I am wishing that I had my AoE mezz very badly. Somehow with only the single long duration Mezz on my bar, I managed to get it under control but it was a very close thing all because I changed my spell bar to accomodate a lazy, relaxed grind group and wasn't prepared for the hitting the fan. This might very well have happened with your SK. Just something to think about before you assume he sucked.
  13. Laronk Augur

It depends on the situation, probably best to send them a tell and be like "could you start using your magic please"
  14. a_librarian Augur

That's a beautiful story
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Prepare for ALL the deadweight players to appear this double exp weekend.
  16. a_librarian Augur

Wellp, there's your problem. Also the reason people advertise that they aren't boxing when LFG as a duo
  17. monkypowah Elder

THIS.. I am amazed after reading this thread this was literally about the only thing said that made any amount of sense. It’s clear to me all these people talking about sk this or sk that have never played one.. when the mobs are dieing in 15 seconds it’s LESS dps for you to be wasting time casting. Also I love how some of these people are saying sk dps sucks. Lmao my phinny sk would outdps your entire crappy coirnav guilds dps. In omens era he was way up near top of my guild with anguish 1 hander and now with Solteris sword he is still doing great dps and parses very high still. Some of you need to learn about things before you speak like it’s some truth or something lol
  18. Herf Augur

Warn him once. Mayyyyybe twice if you think he's a decent player. Then kick him.

Any questions? :)

[IMG]
  19. slayerofbats Augur

/thread
  20. Lady Julae New Member

I have noticed that there are many people who are just playing EQ for the first time, especially on Coirnav. What I usually do is ask, "Hey is this your first time playing EQ? If they say "yes," then kindly give them some guidance, they probably never knew how effective they could be. If they say "No," then ask, "Is this your first time playing a SK?" If yes, see the latter, if "No," then tell him to start using up his mana or he will be replaced.