It would be really great if the Options > Chat categories lined up with the Chat Window > Filters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by PathToEternity, Aug 28, 2018.

1. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I'm not really sure where to post this but when I use /feedback in here it sends me to the EQ forum list, so I hope this is the best fit.

I'm not gonna post an exhaustive list of either but here are two example screenshots showing how these seem to be wildly different:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks for listening!
    Prathun and Dreadmore like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Really, we need a list of every filter for both the Options > Chat and the chat window filters. I was thinking of creating one but it is a huge amount of work.

For example, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to filter out:

[Sun Aug 12 22:16:12 2018] Ingersolla's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:12 2018] Ingersolla's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:12 2018] Dredeq's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:13 2018] Kador's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:13 2018] Kador's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:13 2018] Angre's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:13 2018] Seernie's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:13 2018] Kantik's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [Sun Aug 12 22:16:14 2018] Dorflin's spell has been reflected by Queen Velazul Di`Zok.
    [100 more lines of this spam omitted]

Both the option to not see it at all and the option to send it to the chat window of my choice are mysteries to me.

Every single possible thing that can show up in your chat window needs to be matched with the proper options somewhere so we can find out how to block and/or move this stuff.

Of course, the best would be if you could click on the line (like reporting spam) and have the options right there, or at least a hint of which options could be used for that type of thing.
    xcitng likes this.
  3. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Skills and Spell Resists will filter that out, Fanra. It's done about half in one, half in the other for some reason. I tested extensively with color a while back.
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I really don't feel like I should have to see everyone's heals and DoT's unless I'm parsing. Can we filter this stuff out, please? Sometimes I do actually want to read something in that spam window without the use of third party software.
  5. Angahran Augur

The 'other' filter needs to be taken out behind the barn and beaten to death with a stick... then burned... and the ashes scattered!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Angahran Augur

With the new 'healing' filters, something still seems to be missing.
    I created a new chat window and moved only these new filters to it.
    But, I still see several 'healing' type messages in my old spell spam window.

I don't have exact messages, but I think some heal over time messages and maybe group heals.
  7. Angahran Augur

What would be great would be a 'logfile only' option on filters so we could have everything going to the log file but only show what we actually want to see on the screen.
  8. niente Developer

I can't promise if/when this will be fixed, but here's a bit of explanation about why the chat list in options is different from the chat window menus.

The chat tab, in options, is a list of "colors" (in code). Many of these are also filters.
    The chat menu, when you right click on a window, is a context menu filter.

The list in chat options is generated (alphabetically) by whatever the "filter" is flagged as (spells, combat, etc). The list in the chat window menu is just a hard-coded list of the order that seemed to make most sense by programmers who added filters to it.

Ideally there would be a 1:1 relationship between colors, filters, and menu choices, but there isn't. Multiple colors can go to one filter (i.e. you tell your group / your group tells you). Colors can exist with no filter (i.e. Achievement Links). It is possible to have colors with no filter. These messages go to Other. It is also possible to send messages to players that have no color or filter. These messages also go to Other.

When you log in your UI_Soandso_server.ini is read, and for these values:
    Code:
    [ChatManager]
    ChannelMap22=5
    ChannelMap23=3
    ChannelMap24=0
    ChannelMap25=0
    ChannelMap26=6
    The corresponding chat window is assigned any message which uses that channel #. You can figure out what they are by looking at what the top menu bar of the window indicates. For example, 22 is Other, and it goes to my chat window 5. 26 is other's hits, and it goes to my spam window (chat window 6). Channels 24 and 25 go to my main chat window (0).

Whether or not a filter can be turned off is "hard coded." What I mean by that is, even though there is a flag that says "you can turn this filter on and off," that does none of the work, other than letting you say that's what you would like in Options. This is why many filters are always on - it's not trivial to let players turn them off. To do that for one filter (currently) means finding every place in EQ's code where the filter is used, and writing in a check to see if the player has it on first.

Ideally, we would write in a check for all filters right before displaying chat. Similarly, there is a check for the current log interval, which could be expanded to let players enable or disable logging vs. chat window display of messages (what Angahran would like). All of this is possible, including making new filters and cleaning up the existing system. It just takes time.
  9. Quatr Augur

That's what I have been telling my users for the last 30 years...
    IblisTheMage and Prathun like this.
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

That would be awesome!! Right click a line of text and be able to set what Chat Window it goes to. It would make setting up chat windows so much easier.
    Angahran and xcitng like this.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Three questions:
    First, does the first paragraph that I've quoted apply specifically to the Options window Chat tab or to both it and the chat window context menu filters?
    Second, would it be simpler and less time consuming to implement the Angahran's "Log everything but limit what is displayed" or to fully flesh out the Chat window's context menu filters? Or would they be about equally difficulty and time consuming to do?
    Third, is Angahran's initial suggestion that the Chat window's context menu filter 'Other' be dismembered and replaced with more granulated and specific options reasonable to expect in the foreseeable future?
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Anyone know how to get rid of this spam?

[Sun Sep 02 21:58:15 2018] Shalek`s pet has been slain by Prince Selrach Di`Zok!
    [Sun Sep 02 21:58:16 2018] Nyaomi`s pet has been slain by Prince Selrach Di`Zok!
    [Sun Sep 02 21:58:16 2018] Nyaomi`s pet has been slain by Prince Selrach Di`Zok!
    [Sun Sep 02 21:58:16 2018] Ryss`s pet has been slain by Prince Selrach Di`Zok!
  13. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

NPC Death is the filter it's under. Unfortunately, that removes ALL NPC death messages. >.<
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Thanks for the reply.

It seems we need a "pet death" filter, especially considering it seems like every class has swarm pets.
  15. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I couldn't agree more. =\
    Fanra likes this.
  16. Sancus Augur

People just want to turn a blind eye to the suffering of swarm pets. Their deaths matter too :(
  17. Angahran Augur

Yikes, that's some real spaghetti code there :(

A dev mentioned my name :) /swoon

If time would allow it would make sense to move all the checks for logging/chat/etc into one 'module' instead of having them scattered all over the place.

Maybe then the accursed 'other' filter could finally be taken out behind the barn, beaten to death with a blunt stick, burned and buried in a deep hole.

I do like the idea of being able to right click a line and get all it's options.
  18. Heartland Augur

Time to riot