Instead of bonus exp for Labor Day weekend...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Exmortis_MT Augur

Brilliant, say a 48hour xp pot, claimable for a short time on all toons. So yeah, if you are a weekend warrior you claim it, and use it on your week day stretch off.

Oh yes please!
    Geroblue and BadPallyGuildLeader like this.
  2. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I still think gnome monks as a playable race\class combo would solve literally everything that people complain about in EQ. There is a therapeutic value in seeing a gnome die. It's like "Chicken Soup for the EQ soul." ;)
  3. Aurmoon Augur

I don’t think the XP Pot reward is likely to happen. The purpose of things such as daily heroics / daily quest rewards / lesson of the devoted is to incentivize folks to log in every day and establish a logging in routine. It’s part of the formula for establishing a committed player base. The holiday bonuses are intended to give people an extra incentive to log in and play during the holiday season. It isn’t a “Christmas gift” just because... so asking for XP pots that can be used at a future date runs contra to what I believe is the point of the bonuses in the first place.
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

you can buy your XP Pot reward now the one time they gave peeps one was before you can buy them
  5. Ngreth Thergn Developer

here and there?
    #1 it cannot be spontaneous (Most of the current things we do we CAN do spontaneously)
    #2 it takes more pre planning (We have to have the item created and ready in a patch before the gift, which is a further corollary on #1)
    #3 MANY of the things we do are server based not character based. Sure, XP and faction is character based, but increased rare spawns... the idea above of more collection spawns... these are server based.
    #4 giving one-time gifts entail another group at the company which further increases the needed lead up time AND the cost of make the free thing for you. We do give things away that cost us money. It helps retain customers, so it's a good deal for us, and worth some expense. But at some cost level, it doesn't retain enough so becomes a money sink for the company. This idea of items is actually a larger multiplier on cost than you would expect. So while we could do it sometimes... every holiday might become prohibitive.
    #5 physical rewards can lead to "hoarding" of these. While the harm of hoarding is small it*is* non-zero.

so while we CAN do this sort of thing as an item, there are many things that make it an issue and reasons it might not be done for every event.

this post is not a firm no or a hint at a yes. it is ONLY a conversation :)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Karhar Dream Crusher

Be even better if the 74 dollar for a year deal came back :)
    Kaenneth and Kegwell like this.
  7. blood & gufts Augur

You know how much that would actually cost DBG ? Quite a huge amount, thats 12 potions, they might sell.
  8. Razorfall Augur

This guy may be a sweaty ogre taint, but I agree with him. That deal was the best :)
  9. Xenze Elder

But expires after a months time to save from the said "hoarding" which may cause issues. I'd be okay with that seeing as I'll be missing out on this weekend's bonus xp :( was really looking forward to it since I missed the last one as well lol
  10. Dahaman Augur

Count me in as another customer that misses out on the bonuses that are explicitly given on holiday weekend. I've long since gotten use to it, but I confess it does get disappointing at times.

I most like the idea of Vitality which is bonus XP on Y kills (or up to Z% XP) per day, "accruing" to a 10-day max value. Bonus Vitality could be given out for those that log on during the typical bonus holidays, etc. to encourage people to log in on those days.

This would require programming a new feature, so unlikely or too difficult to be implemented. That said...

It seems like it would take two extra fields in the character data file (Vitality counter, time of last Vitality update), a call on character login (to update the Vitality counter for the character), and a call when granting mob XP (decrement Vitality counter and apply Vitality bonus).

It would be nice to display the Vitality counter on the character inventory or stat page, but that would take a lot more effort. A more minimalist approach would be to change the color of the text of the displayed name of the character on that page to show that it simply has Vitality remaining.

Just adding to the conversation...
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The way to avoid hoarding is to place a time limit, say one month, on the item where it must be used or it disappears. Naturally, the item description, etc., needs to make clear this fact.

Of course, that is more coding...:eek:
  12. Angahran Augur

Thank you :)
    Conversations are nice.

re point 5, you recently had the metamorph familiar, which was available for a limited time.
    Could the same system be used to provide a 'no rent' item ? e.g. 24 hours of 50% xp bonus ?
    This would prevent hoarding since once claimed it would have to be used before the player camped. Also, it would only have a limited availability (but longer than a single weekend) but hopefully long enough that everyone could use it. e.g. a month.
    Geroblue and Fanra like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think just adding an additonal day or two over and above the holiday period would cover most people. Yes there will always be someone who can't take advantage of something but most would be covered. This would be easier then creating limited use items with expiry dates.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Give an inch people want a mile.

Seriously, nothing is taken from you if you can't take advantage of bonus experience, and a LOT of people can make good use of it.

I see more people online during holidays than regular weekends, so I'm sure a lot of low play time people have a day or two that they log in on those weekends.

I don't need experience, but so what? The people that "need" experience need it more than those with so much play time they are working on random hunters achievements for nothing but useless completionist achievement points.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Oh, and if you are lucky enough to have a family you are spending time with, or money to go on vacation for holidays, maybe you should think yourself lucky that is the case rather than you are getting cheated out of pixels.
    Venau likes this.
  16. Laronk Augur

Sometimes spending time with your family can be a chore, for some people stuff like "the inlaws" are in town is blah or you don't like the family member but you have kids so you're being the bigger man and spending the weekend with the family members you don't like for the sake of your children.
  17. slayerofbats Augur

Give everyone a free health pot that is already in game would be way better. As it is, I missed the entire thing, yet I suffered through all the downtime and patch hell the past few months.
  18. Numiko Augur

Just turn up the exp 50% all the time and be done with it! ;)
  19. Risiko Augur

As long as a long term solution is being discussed for future holiday rewards, I would like to point out that the wants and needs of players on the TLP servers do not necessarily coincide with those of the LiVE servers.

While you might not want nor need bonus experience on a Live server because your characters are max everything, bonus experience is one of the most needed things for characters on TLP servers.

I hope that any plans to change holiday rewards in the future take in to account the difference in what is needed based on the type of server.

Possibly implement a system that can offer one type of reward for a Live server and another for a TLP server.
  20. Lilura Augur