Necro Dots - Please Reconsider

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Floo, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Floo New Member

Jumping on the bandwagon! Can we get a dot revamp please? kk thx
  2. snailish Augur

Only if it is actually an improvement for necromancers please.

Weaving a dot rotation and making spell gem choices is better than (for example) getting 2-3 superdots that prevent anything else stacking while doing less overall damage than a decent necro's rotation at a given level.

Done right, a necro revamp could be great.
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

This topic has been beaten so far into the ground that it's not even funny. Most people gave up hoping for it, and just simply moved on. On TLP's, it's really not an issue in the early expansions. As the game progresses though, it does get worse and worse. I remember having to use two spellsets on the same target as early as Velious to maximize dps, but it really wasn't necessary. Eventually though, it becomes a requirement, and is even more annoying because you're still having to use multiple spellsets *on the same target*, even though you have 12 (or maybe more, I quit at 95, so what do i know) spell gems.

I honestly think they could fix the issue in later expansions by retooling some of the AA's. But it's just really hard to design the aa's around given how powerful the omens robe and epic is. (Granted, in later expansions, the crit rate on the epic is a non-factor on raids, as due to other buffs, any nec is going to be at 100% crit rate anyway) They were too scared to make those effects level limited, but they really should have.

Necros were always broken in some way. Sometimes they were broken because your entire raid only wanted one. Then for years they wanted more. It's so funny, that the game went full circle, and it's back to only wanting one necro again.
  4. a_librarian Augur

What's the issue exactly?
  5. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The TLDR version is that other classes got dot revamps, and necros didn't (other than the poison line that arguably benefits shaman more).

Higher level necros have to cast 15-20+ dots at a time, even though they don't even have that many spell slots, requiring them to use spell sets even on a stationary target just to maximize dps.

Since the number of debuffs (including dots) on a target is limited, large raids are arguably better off with 1 necro, than with 2.

Necros are pretty much required to keep the omens epic equipped, far longer than any other class, because an equivalent focus effect was not placed on other items in later expansions, and they didn't simply decide to level cap the focus effect and design new spells that were balanced on the focus effect not working on them.
    a_librarian and snailish like this.
  6. Yawgmoth. Journeyman

dot revamp would be awesome, and would increase the power of necros for sure

necro do fine on parses through planes of power, but necro is for sure hardest class to parse on, because u actually have to try and pay attention unlike the melee classes where ur char just on autopilot and does max dps

after that, idk since i didnt play....

also prob a bad idea asking them to combine necro dots, not sure how braindead u have to be to have faith in daybreak staff to do it correctly
  7. a_librarian Augur

Thanks for the explanation on this, that sounds like a massive pain to manage. I have a couple dozen spell sets on my enchanter and it's hard to just find a hotbar layout for all them.

Is feeding mana to healers still a role necros have in raids today? I always thought they were forced into a support role in raids but that might be an outdated perspective
  8. Hinastrom Elder

It is very inefficient for necros to feed mana in combat. If a necro is feeding mana in combat, it means your raid is lacking something it should otherwise have (usually more clerics). But, I suppose a fight taking longer is better than the CH chain breaking down and you wiping...but you should be recruiting more clerics if they need to be fed in combat.

Out of combat, necros should be feeding people for buffs etc.
  9. Ryak Augur

In my experience, (well geared) necros haven't been able to top parses in single target fights from Luclin through TBS.

In recent expansions, we're lucky if we can even make the bottom of the parse.

I think the story is best told anecdotally:

The top geared necro on the server (according to Magelo, anyways) is the top DKP holding necromancer in my guild. He leveled a berserker box and it got some random 2-3 expansion old rot gear. As soon as it picked up a couple pieces of rot gear, this berserker could trivially out-parse all our necromancers on any single target fight.
    Our three top geared, 100% attendance necromancers are consistently, casually beaten by a box in Anguish gear.

It's not super fun, and this is why most of the necromancers on the server have quit or main changed.

Another necromancer I knew (who was literally a guild leader and a super serious player) 100% quit the game specifically over the DoT situation.
    Risiko likes this.
  10. Yawgmoth. Journeyman

Myself and 2 other necros in my guild competed with others in luclin for top parser. There were some fights when we topped the parse, and there were fights where we struggled based on resists (yes, it is fight dependent). the same was true for pop, although it was significantly harder to parse in potime compared to luclin, i am sure it has only gotten worse, but there were times where a necro would finish right at the top

yea, necro cant compete with shorter fights when melee burn disc, and especially when rangers use trueshot (in luclin).. other than that, if you arent parsing in luclin/pop as a necro, its a you problem and maybe you should get better
  11. Yawgmoth. Journeyman

disclaimer - havent raided since pop so i cant say anything one way or another after that, but with that being said i still stand by what i said before, that i have zero faith in combining necro dots correctly and they will likely just ruin it
  12. Kobra Augur

You're an embarrassment to the necro class. Don't talk about necro issues when you haven't played past PoP and when you did play you died to a random froglok in lower guk. You're literally the last person anyone should listen to when it comes to playing a necro. When we want advice on how to die as a necro in lower guk, we will give you a call.

Now having said that, they don't need to consolidate dots if they just fix the debuff issue that exists at level 110. Fix the debuff cap and keep the complexity of the class intact. You can't parse well on TLP. Who cares. You blow past that content so quick its not worth a devs time to take into consideration.
  13. Yawgmoth. Journeyman

kobra, u couldnt compete on parses on a necro in classic vs lady vox. u were kicked from faceless cause u were bad and annoying.

u were so bad that u were kicked from a guild that dps raced by zerging mobs against another guild that zerged mobs with dps, and u were playing the best dps class in classic, and we still didnt want you

yikes
  14. Machentoo Augur

Sure, I mean, we've only spent three years so far on Ragefire/Lockjaw/Phinigel, that's just a blink of an eye right? No need to fix anything at all here, we blow by it too fast.

If you aren't interested in seeing things fixed on the TLP's, maybe don't post on our forum.
  15. Kobra Augur

I play a necro on TLP and live. Do you honestly think it matters where you land on a parse on a TLP on content that has been trivialized? It doesn't.

The whole reason for the dot revamp has to do with the debuff limit and that is affecting live. Do you know whats its like to play a necro at end game on live? If you don't then allow me to explain some things. Because of the debuff limit most guilds won't recruit necros. Its a big problem if you main a necro.
  16. Machentoo Augur

Yes, it matters. When a DPS class is getting beaten as badly as necros are post TSS, there is zero reason to play the class. That matters.

I am well aware of the buff cap limitations on live and the issues there. The two problems aren't really directly related, but they could both be solved by the same solution.

Of course, the better solution IMO is still to just nerf everyone else's dps until necros are worth playing again. They were at least somewhat competitive at this point on the previous round of TLP's. Undo changes until that situation exists again and the TLP's would be healthier. But of course, they won't ever do that.
  17. malaki Augur

You missed out on the late 65 into 70-75 era where casters are poop.
  18. Yawgmoth. Journeyman

yea, was only responding cause the autist said luclin and foward, implying necros couldnt compete on parses in luclin and planes

no clue about after pop, but i just reinstalled this game so i will see how it goes (even tho new poe league on friday means i wont be playing eq at all anyway)
  19. Cupie1 Journeyman

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hi
  20. darkin New Member

As a necro, I could parse in top 3-4 on any boss fight in Luclin. I've recently got all my focuses in pop, so we'll see how I do... but even without them I was able to parse on fights from time to time. I don't think I'm great but I do a solid job of keeping a dot rotation running.

It's tough to out parse rog and monk with bis weapons. Also a good ranger is strong, and some wizards are up there.