AA: Malo Nerf

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Izzemelon, Aug 19, 2018.

1. kizant Augur

Mages are overpowered but balancing things better by making you spam debuffs is a pretty lame way to address things. Although, maybe it'll get less complaints than more direct nerfs.
  2. mmats Augur

Thing is this has little to no effect on mage raid dps where mobs generally last longer and you have multiple people debuffing. It really hurts the group/solo mages though.

I would prefer having the old malo and take a hit on nuke dmg if they think its necessary for balance.
    Sancus and kizant like this.
  3. segap Augur

This just goes to show that some people are playing a completely different game than other people. I feel for the devs having to balance things between players that take full advantage of all the tools given and those that are just happily going along and missing something.

I wouldn't call mages over powered at this time. But they're in a very, very good place. Now, if they were doubling everyone else like Zerkers a year or so ago, then I'd say they were.

This nerf doesn't feel intentional. It seems more like good intentions of not maintaining both an AA and a spell line by two different developers, but they didn't compare notes and make sure players were actually getting something better (an improved AA whenever the spell gets updated). Replacing several class's AA versions of spells with the use the best version you have scribbed is a good idea. It should reduce work and miscommunication by consolidating development to one owner. This example just highlights how things diverge over time after the AA dev borrows a spell and the two go off to their own silos.
    Quatr and kizant like this.
  4. kizant Augur

Yeah. It's probably just an oversight.
  5. Cicelee Augur

So because an excellent magician can parse as well as a great wizard on a raid, all of a sudden magicians are OP?

No. Magicians are doing well, and the class is (for the most part) able to be competitive and successful in all facets of the game provided they have the requisite ability and skill. Which can be said for the majority of classes in the game as well.

In any event, what has to be said about this change has been said multiple times already. It is up to the developers now to read them and decide if they want to leave this change as is, or make the Maloxxx spell line less resistable in the future...
  6. kizant Augur

That's not the case at all and I wouldn't bother posting anything if people would stop trying to distort things. A few posts back he said they were far from overpowered which is just a silly thing to say. No, it has nothing at all to do with a comparison to wizards.
  7. Sancus Augur

Yeah, saying that we need help with our overall DPS is silly. We do need help with specific kinds of DPS - pet DPS breaking, Magic DPS, etc. Overall, though, the class is in a good place and any kind of "woe is Mages" narrative is a bit misplaced.

That really has nothing to do with a significant change to our ability to debuff resists though. It wasn't communicated, is out of line with the vast majority of other resist debuffs, makes no sense mechanically, and disproportionately affected a class whose nukes are more prone to being resisted than most others. It quite literally has no impact on raid DPS outside of lowering all caster's AE potential a bit, so that whole discussion is really misplaced.
    Sheex, xcitng and kizant like this.
  8. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Why is that silly? Are mages OP? Competitive yes, we're that. When grouping I'm usually 1 or 2 in the parse. So I'm doing fine. But we don't blow other DPS classes out of the water (unless they're are not playing correctly.) , that would be OP.

Now with the Malo nerf, especially in the group game it has an effect. Our DPS has taken a hit. I don't even bother casting Malos in the group when things die as quickly as they do. I just rely on maloseniac eminence. Raiding nobody will hardly notice.

I'm not happy with this nerf and I'm not going to just shrug it off. Spam casting Malos is not my idea of fun. We play EQ for enjoyment, not this.
  9. xcitng Augur

Yes, it seems they have been taking away the fun from classes lately, why tho?
  10. Cicelee Augur

You were the one who specifically said that magicians are OP. If you had not said that, then I never quote and reply to you.

Magicians are in a good place right now. We are not a broken class like one of the posters said earlier. They are also not OP as you claimed. We are competitive, we can play the game, and excellent magicians are doing more and better than lesser magicians. I think that is decently balanced IMHO...
  11. kizant Augur

You have to read the whole thread if you want to understand the context of what people are saying. Mages are competitive in group DPS so I get where the other poster is coming from. but even he's just moved the bar from 'far from op' to 'usually 1 or 2 in the parse'. That's at least 1 step up from what 'far from' would imply.

Raid DPS is a different story and outside very short fights like crypt robbers or fights with lots of fire immune mobs there's no competition. If you want to argue that you're only slightly op in most raids then fine, you draw the line in a different place. I've also posted videos with my parses so you know what my reference point is. If you aren't doing a good deal better than me then you're doing something wrong.
  12. xcitng Augur

I am not in a raid guild, and It's unlikely i would be 1 or 2 in a parse, i play this game for fun, 1 or 2 matters little to me. I am upset about the malo nerf because it is totally no fun to keep clicking a hotbuttonb over & over to get it to land.
  13. Darsh Journeyman

The Devs haven't acknowledged the nerf because THEY DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK.....When have they ever changed a nerf after a class threw a fit?? So you got 2 options A) live with it like every other nerfed class or B) leave the game. I play a shaman so yeah the nerf sucks but Its what they want and its their game.
  14. Password1234 Augur

They recently undid the counters to melee-lifetap spells, and they added dots and target's target spells to banestrike after people complained.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

I can’t beat the wizards dps in raids :).

Jumbur and I have compared numbers, and he is ahead by a comfortable margin. I have no beef with that, I am honored by being comparing dps to a wizard in the first place. But if I understand you correctly, then the best mages can beat the best wizards?
  16. MiataDriver Augur

When soloing, I see a large difference in resists of my various DoTs between a mob with malo and one without. And, like many, I see far more resists of malo now with the change.
  17. kizant Augur

Fairly easily given similar ADPS and low lag. Wizards are doing good too though so I don't think it would make sense for them to get buffs either.
    gotwar likes this.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

Gotcha. Well then kudos to Jumbur et al!
    kizant likes this.
  19. Kezik Lorekeeper

xcitng and Sancus like this.
  20. xcitng Augur