Where are all the locked doors?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demoria7, Aug 22, 2018.

1. demoria7 Elder

What is the purpose of having different classes that can lock pick if you don't give us any new doors, bridges, etc to unlock.?

Just one new one per expansion with a named, (not necessarily on hunter) but dropping a cool clicky or aug a lot of folks would want, would be nice. A clicky that provides SOS to any class for 10 min with 24 hour reuse time, or has a illusion like a upright red wolf or even something new like an armored upright Red Wolf with a superior ATK boost a tank might want, for example or an Aug that can be upgraded by a raid diamond? Or a rogue/bard one hand weapon as well as one of the other things for group members?

(With NO key quest until after the expansion after this one)

Make rogues and bards requested for groups again or brought out and dusted off. I used to get asked all the time and it was FUN. The revamped zones had all the locks taken away. Sometimes making things too easy does not give them value.

Just asking for ONE door or bridge per new Expansion or even added value to some revamps would be ok. Please.
  2. Thraine Augur

Cause if they dont give everyone everything people will start complaining that so and so is OP and has special advantages and so on.

They tried it in TDS i think with the brothers island foragables, everyone who couldn't forage cried till they made them into ground spawns.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sounds like people would just create a rogue/bard alt to get past the door or have someone open it for them so they could camp. Both classes have a lot more to offer a group than picking a door lock and honestly that is something that can be done outside of the group anyway with no need to bring someone in just for that.
  4. Verily Tjark Augur

We don't allow locked doors in my house.
  5. kizant Augur

Locked doors are dumb unless there's also some way of obtaining a key. Even if that means spending an extra 30mins clearing out mobs you'd rather avoid. It should be a time trade-off and not a requirement.
    Nennius, Skewert, Fanra and 3 others like this.
  6. Axxius Augur

There are two raids in RoS where you get to disarm traps and pick locks. Not specifically restricted to any classes (anybody can use LDoN spells or CotF clickies), but some classes are better at it than others. Our rogues seem to enjoy those two raids a lot.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

There's some brutal consequences for messing those up as well... Go Rogue crew!!
  8. Claudi Elder

Problem was, it was a progression task. Besides that I am all for using more the utility of classes.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Rogues already offer a lot of utility to groups(like stealth dragging corpses past annoying mobs for example, or getting to that quest-ground-spawn without having to clear first), and bards have that equally useful double-invis.
    I don't think we need content where a specific class is a "must-have", no problem with having each class offer convenience-utility though. :)
  10. Scorrpio Augur

Every locked door should have a key as either a mob drop or questable. Having a lockpicker along should be a convenience, not a requirement.
    Skewert, Fanra and Annastasya like this.
  11. p2aa Augur

No thanks. Having to rely on one special class to do some content is just awful concept, especially some content that is nice to have.
    If you are looking for group content advantages, you have yet one over others btw : being able to pick everything (like collectibles) anywhere thanks to SoS.
  12. demoria7 Elder

Picking up collectables is pretty boring and does not get you invited to a group. Also, with a goblin rogue shroud anyone can do that and pick a lock in today's game so it's not going to stop anyone getting behind a locked door but would be of special interest to rogues and bards. It just might add some fun. Or required a bit of thinking for others. The game has been dumb downed a lot since it started. Some improved game-play and some took away.. The best part of this type of game was when, for a minute, you got to be the hero. A lot of that was taken out of the game. I would like to see a bit of it put back. But, most seem to agree with you and don't want a challenge. Makes me a bit sad.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If someone is in shroud form they are not going to be providing much to the group. Also making a class required in the group game is not good for the health of the game and removing required classes is not dumbing down the game.

I also fail to see how adding content behind locked doors improves the quality of the game and how being able to unlock a door makes you a hero. The fact of the matter is people are already making alts to provide things they need such as a mage for call of the hero so including locked doors will likely lead to more rogue alts made rather then inviting rogues and bards to groups.
  14. Gnomereaper Augur

In practice it would go back to dungeon design, where you would have a door that you could smash down but would aggro mobs or with a lockpick could move silently through and continue on. Works great for pen and paper where you have a Rogue or Bard in the group and can design the content towards that group. Also lock pick is a cross class skill and Wizards got the spell Knock which did the same thing as pick lock.

So:

Bard Rogue Wizard and probably either Enchanter or Mage would have a "Knock" spell that would open up locked doors and doors would be interactive content you could breakdown (at a price). And most people would just plow through the door and take the mobs down with discs and the like.

For the most part during Sebilis with my character that can pick locks I would walk around and pick locks for people and then leave. Sometimes I got paid, other times I did it to be nice. After that they would just park a fellowship in that zone and live there for a while. There were a lot of campfires in Crypt and characters logged inside of that camp anyway like mages who could CoH in the rest of the team.

To be honest, if rogues are really having problems then do something interesting with rogues but not locked content. People will just add the rogue into the group, then drop them from mission once the door is unlocked or use a rogue shroud and then come back anyway.
  15. p2aa Augur

Since when rogues have difficulty to find groups ? When you need a DPS slot in a group, you will take a rogue.
  16. Gnomereaper Augur

I remember people used to not want rogues for fear of pickpocketing mobs and taking all the fabulous wealth.
  17. Gnomereaper Augur

Lock pick is a good skill, however in pen and paper RPG you also had more flexibility such as "smash the door down and aggro all the mobs." If you can't smash the door, there's no real talking point other than a force mechanic trying to force a group slot for an outdated mechanic.
    Skewert likes this.
  18. snailish Augur

You can have lots of locked doors, you could even retro-add them in all sorts of places to let the progression players enjoy this feature. But a door has to be locked for a reason, and that reason should match the challenge of unlocking it.

-some keys should be droppable of groupable mobs that are predictable in a zone (i.e., Ogre Guards in Najena). That should allow you basic access to most of a zone (whether by that one key or a series of keys like this). Keys like this should go to the old keyring listing (which Najena keys still do not...).

-One special room in a dungeon could use a no-rent key (actual key to Najena herself). That extra layer of hassle should make it worth the bother.

-From time to time a spot could have no key whatsoever, this should probably be one interesting group level area per expac at most. (i.e., Sebilis Crypt).

Once content is two expacs old, the restrictions should lift. This could be the doors are just unlocked, the keys are available on a merchant (Shady in Commonlands seems like the type to have keys), a master key for the zone becomes a random zonewide drop, etc.
  19. Gnomereaper Augur

Crypt was bad game design because it was a camp with 6 nameds in it that dropped amazingly good items. Which ended up with the same practices I talked about in a previous post. People just use CoH and Fellowships to get around the bottleneck or grease the palm of a rogue or bard and send them on their marry way.

I just see:

/general Can a bard or rogue please unlock this door? Paying well PST

That's about it. It doesn't actually do anything.
    Fanra likes this.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

Maybe if the door could have a huge call-mobs range, that activated on damage, but not on pick...