Expeditions Broken

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Our raid leader reports unable to get any expeditions (raids).

Please report if you also have this issue.

Bertoxx server, August 16, 2018, 7:20pm EDT
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

[Thu Aug 16 19:34:48 2018] Warning: ALL Heroic Adventure zones will be shutting down in approximately 10 minutes in order to fix an issue that is preventing instances from starting. Please exit any Heroic Adventures immediately!

Not sure if this will also address Expeditions as well. Not getting much info from Daybreak right now.

Also, that does not say how long before it is fixed.
  3. GoneFission Augur

I can't even get into my guild hall. I get the message "No expedition is available to you", then a line that says guild hall is loading, please wait 10 or 15 seconds, over and over on all three accounts.

In some ways that's an improvement, since usually the first account to hit the guild freezes the account, and I have to use task manager to close the connection and restart the account. But then the second character actually gets in to set the portal.
  4. Denial_Sinfae Augur

All of these reports are well documented in the Test and Live Updates Bugs threads.

Note* YES, this was well reported on before the patch went live from test, and yes, the same reported issues made it to live.
  5. segap Augur

They did make fixes internally. The problem is with their process. They almost never update test in the week between the test patch and the live patch. They do their true patch to test a few days after the patch goes live. They need to push fixes for stability issues to test before the live patch to make sure they fully understood and resolved the issues.
  6. Denial_Sinfae Augur

If you just make some changes and don't confirm the changes fixed anything... Did you make a fix, or did you make a change?

And what you described sounds an awful lot like using production environments as test environments.
  7. Febb Augur

Yes, testing code on live servers is how it's done here in EQ. :cool:
  8. niente Developer

Test had 4 different issues with zones:
    1. The machine that runs zones on Test runs out of memory regularly. Because it is on a different environment from Live, there is not as much memory available. This issue is ongoing, attempts have been made to fix it including hardware upgrades.

2. There was an initial zone crash issue that was fixed thanks to helpful information from Test players. Zones that crashed were exacerbating its memory issues.

3. When 2 was fixed we continued seeing reports of crashing zones. It wasn't clear if it was due to 2 not actually being fixed, 1, or something else. It ended up being caused by a totally different bug fix (my fault) that was attached to the fix for 2.

4. There was an issue (fixed today) that was causing HAs to go into an infinite loop. All HAs that were created were stuck and eating memory, stopping players from getting other instances as well (like raids and missions). This one wasn't discovered until it was already Live, mainly due to the depth of other zone crash problems that occurred in this patch. It was like a perfect storm of zone crashes, one on top of the other, that has made you guys miserable and I am very sorry for it.

Like all issues in EQ, for some there are ideas on how to fix them, others have definite, known causes that are not trivial to solve, others are evasive and without any leads, it is hard to find time to figure out how to fix them. Choices have to be made on what to fix first, and balanced with implementation of new features. The highest priority is always things that have broken due to a new change (something that breaks with the patch). I will say that the EQ team is always working as hard as we can trying to fix problems.
    bob2, Janakin, Elricvonclief and 20 others like this.
  9. Elmdor Lorekeeper

Props for giving such a detailed response. This kind of transparency is a good look for EQ imo.
    PS: Instances are having issues on phinny as well
  10. Bigstomp Augur

We were (after a fair while) able to get a raid instance.
    Our second raid instance felt back to normal.
  11. Ekadzati Lorekeeper

Caught this and wanted to explicitly say "thank you" for delivering transparency and insight. I know that can be hard to do when there are usually more than a few happy to pick that up and beat you over the proverbial head. You did it anyway and that means a lot to me as a customer, and as an I.T. and product professional.

Thank you. :)
  12. Zanarnar Augur

Sooo why did we patch that live on a day that a TLP server unlocked a new expansion; knowing there were issues with it at worst, or not having bothered to even TEST the fixes for the known issues before patching live...

either
    1) DBG really doesn't give 2 craps about their tlp customers (more reason to move on)
    2) DBG has the worst source control/testing/release cycle that I have ever seen.

I don't really see a 3rd option and neither 1 nor 2 makes me want to be a customer again. Clearly as a company they really need to hire someone who understands how to test deploy updates properly.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They patch on the same schedule each month if anything the unlock day should be moved from Wednesday so it can't fall on a patch day.
  14. Zarzac Augur

Armor wise would be an easy fix. Just need to make the EoK molds much, much cheaper. If they were in the 30-60 range that would really make more sense.

Flag wise from the group missions there should be a backflag 1/3 piece that drops from each group mission maybe. Going back to do all that mess is just too much for the current players. It's not the new people they probably don't mind as it's all "new" content to them. It's the guys that have done 14 times already that hate it.
  15. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Considering the amount of catering TLP has gotten relative to the rest of the game over the last few years, this is a pretty comical statement.
  16. Zanarnar Augur

considering how many of their changes are made with a blind-eye turned towards TLP servers, I still disagree that they really care. I think its where a large chunk of their monthly revenue comes from and they will do the bare minimum to keep that rolling in.

Need some recent examples? Headshot would be a perfect, quite recent, example of this thinking.
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Just because they don’t rearrange pre-scheduled game wide maintenance around one specialty server’s umpteenth expansion launch day doesn’t mean they don’t care about that server’s players. And then a dev replies trying to give some level of transparency and it’s the perfect time to attack them for 1. Neglect or 2. Incompetence?

Come on, man. Sometimes the TLP entitlement is absurd even for Forum Quest.

We had to cancel raids on Live that a lot of us were looking forward to, as well, due to login and then instance issues. It was annoying, but life goes on. Deep breaths, Mr. Bender Bending Rodriguez. Deep breaths.
    Elricvonclief, Sancus and xcitng like this.
  18. Zanarnar Augur

no refunds.. all I have is forum quest to keep me amused .. well for 15 or so more days ;P
  19. Jolav Journeyman

Thank you for these details.
    Fanra and xcitng like this.
  20. MiataDriver Augur

Thanks for the refreshing change from the norm of not bothering to let your customers know what is going on. Still, tossing basically untested changes to Live is a piss poor way to update. Having a test environment that cannot be used to test the changes is also not terribly useful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.