Anything like EQ

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Aurastrider, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Aurastrider Augur

Anyone know of any other games like EQ. Preferably something single player. I do have one of the old single player EQ games for the playstation but if I recall that was more like diablo than EQ in terms of game play. Just looking for something to pass the time while I decide my EQ future. Thanks in advance and no I am not going anywhere right now and if I am giving away my stuff I already have several people that will receive nice care packages if/when my time comes.
  2. Elskidor Augur

Pantheon in 2020.... maybe?
  3. Aurastrider Augur

Not looking for another mmo just something single player that has a lot of content to explore and similar combat system. Something I can hit pause if needed and afk at a moments notice. I know nothing will replace EQ for me but something with more than a weeks worth of gameplay would be nice that has areas to explore and worth the sticker price.
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

DragonQuest 11 drops on the 5th, has some people excited, for that old RPG grind. Gonna need more to go on though, like what gaming systems do you have? How old of a game are you willing to go? Ever play Neverwinter Nights?

I think Dark Souls 1-3 were recently remastered and released on the computer.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

I am old school arcade nes and Atari so old is no issue. I will always take content over cosmetics. I have a Wii Wiiu ps2 ps3 and my computer was built just over a year ago. Not sure on the specs but alienware around 2k so fairly solid in terms of performance. I prefer PC over console gaming but am open to something on one of the systems I have.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Not RPG: Warzone 21000 went open source more than a decade ago, it is my preferred RTS. Can be freely downloaded.

Neverwinter Nighs are also good games.
  7. Orangemilk New Member

Another vote for NWN series. They just released a remaster of the original. NWN2 was ok, but seemed to perform terrible even on modern hardware.

I love first-person open world RPG's when not into MMO's. If you haven't played Skyrim or Witcher 3, I think you probably owe it to yourself to do so at some point. (W3 the better of them in my opinion)

Deus Ex series, Darksiders, and Mad Max are solid choices if you want RPGish, and don't mind a settings change.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  8. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I'd give another vote to the Darksiders, though I really enjoyed Darksiders 2 more than the first one.

And I've found the Far Cry games (and the very similar Tom Clancy: Wildlands) are really great for solo play - pause, lots of lists of items and abilities to collect. Game play can get a little repetitive, but the stories are pretty good, too. Oh - and Monster Hunter World was a neat change of pace.
  9. Scorrpio Augur

Skyrim.
    Frael likes this.
  10. CrazyLarth Augur

no idea what you mean by like EQ what parts you talking about that you like
    but you can play solo pathofexile.com and has a pause button.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

+1 for Skyrim :)
  12. Qbert Gallifreyan

I enjoy jumping into Lord of the Rings online every couple of years. It isn't as difficult as EQ, but the only real reason I cannot stand to play for long stretches of time is that it is not inherently a first-person game (same reason I cannot really play EQ2). Perhaps the biggest drawback to this game is that it is affiliated with Daybreak.

Fallout 4 (the whole series, really) is also fun. It is effectively Skyrim (both by Bethesda) with a different story (future/apocalyptic instead of fantasy). Skyrim is of course good, and already recommended in the thread.

BioShock and BioShock 2 were pretty good, as well.
  13. Snack Augur

Every once in a while I track down a copy of Bard's Tale 1 and/or 2 (you HAVE to map by hand).

Occasionally, I'll try and find a copy of Phantasie ][ -- but think I'm the only one who likes that game.

Know a guy who swears by War Wizard (an old Brad McQuaid joint)
  14. Grove Augur

How could I have forgotten? My early gaming experience! Wizardry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry

I do not know what of it is available these days. It would have had to be reformatted as when I played the computers were primitive.

I remember once spotting a vanity car license plate with a version of this game name. I was so joyful!
  15. Kevbrah New Member

If you want an EQ style phone game you can't beat nethack. Just play with graphics enabled instead of ascii mode.
  16. slayerofbats Augur

The only thing even close to EQ is Wizardry 8. It has a similar look and similar gameplay. The first Neverwinter Nights is single character and is sort of similar too, shame about the gimpy engine and boring campaign. The expansions are a lot better, as is the sequel. But they are party based and at that point you may as well just play Divinity Original Sin 2.
  17. ntellect Augur

For single player try Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Nice Dungeon and Dragons feel with D&D like ruleset. Also get a ship and can sail to different islands which is open world like.
    Nifty Slacker likes this.
  18. Nifty Slacker Augur

I'm glad this was suggested. Pillars of eternity 1 and 2 would be my pick for rpg games. Not terribly similar to eq, but definitely have decent amounts of content to explore.
  19. Geroblue Augur

Wow. Amazon is selling the PC DVD for $999.99. Ouch.

Amazon also sells online key code for substationaly less. $29.99.
  20. Tucoh Augur

There's nothing like EQ.

I'm playing Monster Hunter World though. Just released for PC. It's very different from EQ but is good cross training ;)