No 3rd party software

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Neber, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghubuk Augur

How many are you boxing?
  2. Aurastrider Augur

5 plus I keep 3 buff bots up not in combat to keep me buffed. Those 3 only see combat during a level increase and then they are back to doing buffs.
  3. kizant Augur

All I take from this is that they don't have a problem with 2nd party software. So, just write your boxing application yourself and you'll be within the rules.
  4. Ghubuk Augur

Well, unofficially, I suspect no one is going to go looking too closely at you then (assuming we are talking same as the op in ISB and not that other unmentioned software). I assume the 3 buff bots are not being used to broadcast to and just standing there for you to alt tab to when needed? (I say this because I think even with ISB, anything beyond a group will get looked on even by the masses in a negative light)
  5. Aurastrider Augur

Yes I use ISB and it depends on what I am doing. I will use them to fish or forage if needed but they only do this if I press buttons to make them not like the people who do this 24/7 with just their built in keyboard or mouse software. I might catch a couple hundred fish every other week which I usually give to friends working on trade skills.
  6. Ghubuk Augur

See, this is where it gets weird. Is using broadcasting to assist running 3 or 4 other toons rather than alt tab (which is very doable) going against the idea of huge advantage? I would lean towards probably not. Is the ability to use 8 toons to fish with a single keypress a huge advantage over someone using just the game functions? I would have to argue that it very well could be seen that way. This is the type of situation that really highlights why they can't say yea or nay to a particular software.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

They could put in exclusionary rules saying something is ok doing xyz. Doing anything outside of this can be considered a violation. Rules and laws already work this way covering so much in life. To think a video game is so overly complex and can't follow some sense of logic applied to so many other things is beyond me. They could set a toon limit, action limits, in conjunction with other addon restrictions and even what ever other limitations they feel are needed. The cheaters will always try to be creative so these rules will just keep honest people honest.
  8. Angahran Augur

It really sucks when we have devs posting, "if you have any questions about a specific piece of software, contact customer support" and all 'customer support' do is reply with the same canned response.
    What is the point of contacting them if they refuse to provide any useful information ?

We had that post from Piestro (I know he's no longer with DBG), that was actually relatively useful. But it's impossible to get any current dev or 'customer support' to even acknowledge that post.
  9. Horyuken Augur

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. Angahran Augur

"no 3rd party software is allowed".
    Hmm, so no running a browser to checkout a quest on allakhazam ?
    No watching videos on media player ?
    Does 'windows' count as 3rd party because that's just a whole ton of different things all running.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Ghubuk Augur

I didn't realize looking up something in your browser or watching a video on a media player when you have alt tabbed out of EQ was affecting EQ. Could you explain this in more detail?
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You could be reasonable and not try to include software that doesn't interact with EQ or is part of the system requirements for it to run (which windows is required)
  13. feeltheburn Augur

incoming 32 page thread, popcorn at the ready.
    Smokezz likes this.
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

I realize US business practices are different, but I with Aura on this one.

Whitelisting ISB, with caveats and possibility to revoke whitelist, must be possible, and it would lower the stress of what should be a stress reliever ;-).

It can be as subtle as “Roxxly today had a Skype meeting with the ceo of Lavishsoft, where they discussed future collaboration on expanding the gaming experience of The Greatest Game ever Made”. There. No one promised anything, no one got a permit to be an , but the ISBers that play nice would feel quite confident that they are in the clear. Or they could just whitelist it...
  15. Wizlard Augur

It is 3rd party software which is not allowed. Did you even read the thread?
  16. Angahran Augur

DBG's official policy is that you cannot run any 3rd party software while running EQ.
  17. Frael Elder

Oh, stop...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

Unfair advantage: playing 5 toons at a time does not give the single character an unfair advantage. It gives the player an advantage, but the individual characters are acting within the intended boundaries for gameplay. The cheat teleport-function is an example of the opposite, an unfair advantage...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Ghubuk Augur

Not really. I have seen a player running 19 toons using broadcasting software. Sure, individually each character is only doing what is intended within the game but the game was not designed to have one keypress have 19 toons all react.
  20. Aurastrider Augur

I can see this as an issue on the TLP servers where there are limited zones/content and players are packed tight. You might make a case in the newest expansion release as well but for the most part this is extreme overkill and the end results in terms of actual production probably would not be much different than a full group especially one with solid players. At a certain point there are to many toons for a camp. I have met one person who enjoys boxing two full groups but they are respectful to others and don't come rolling in like some kind of god and take what ever they want. IMO as long as people are not being disruptive let them box 100 toons if they want. I just don't see there being a real benefit past a certain point in terms of actual power considering most of those toons will probably be undergeared and lack a lot of AA's/abilities unless the person has no job or responsibilities and can sit at EQ all day long. The perception is power in numbers but a dozen pawns is still no match for a queen and her knights, bishops and rooks. The one area I like the idea of broadcasting lots of toons is for doing older raids that nobody has interest in doing any more especially if a person is trying to do them without out leveling them to much so they still present a challenge.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.