No character restoration policy.. ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by koook, Aug 8, 2018.

1. koook Elder

Could someone explain to me the reasoning behind the fact that we're not allowed in any way to restore a deleted character?
    I doubt they securely delete character data of old characters..
    Had a 105 necro that I have put a lot of work into since 2014 or so, spent a good deal on the Cashshop, and sub fees.
    Deleted him by mistake.
    No desire to play at all with the progression already put into a character I'd have to do over again.
    Thanks.
  2. Ghubuk Augur

Don't you have to hit delete, then type name in, then delete again to delete a character?
    Yara_AB likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Im surprised they cant restore characters. Lotta prople will ragequit and want to come back the next week.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  4. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I'm pretty sure this is the current way to delete chars. It makes me wonder how someone can "accidently" do this.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Name confirmation prompt for character delete was my suggestion. (Nah, wondered why Planetside 2 had the feature and not EQ). I get a cookie now.
    Fanra and Prathun like this.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

accidently = I was drunk when i did this!
    Venau, Nennius and Yinla like this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's more likely a ragequit.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

9. Toomba Elder

If your addicted to deletion, you dont need a restoration to get your fix
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

For a fee, would make sense.

I can see how people can be convinced to quit, but later change their mind, and therefore would want to come back. There is an issue with character slots, I guess the price could include the addition of a character slot.

25 usd pr toon?
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

12. MorgOfZek New Member

I think it's a good question. I know many people throughout the years who have deleted characters because they want to focus on other things only to regret the decision later on. Many that I know whom have played MMO's (from WoW to Aion to EQ ) have regretted deleting their toons or have been deactivated for so long that they never got an answer to whether they can get that character back. We hear that "nothing is ever truly erased from the internet" yet this guy can't get an answer from the people who work for this company? A shame.
  13. Gnomereaper Augur

Account to account transfers and restoration of deleted characters should be standard. These policies were in place since the start of the game.
  14. Metanis Bad Company

Wow, who knew actions had consequences?
    Gana, Nennius, Brohg and 1 other person like this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Sure, we can restore your deleted character - 10000 DBC

You know what would be even cooler? Putting deleted characters on the DBC Marketplace!
  16. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I would love to be able to buy other people's deleted toons.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

18. Jetboy Lorekeeper

They can bring deleted characters back just as easily as restore items/quests/loot etc....

DGB chooses to no longer offer this type or level of customer support (which they once did as SOE) as it cost money to hire GM's and so forth. From the owners point of view, EQ and all other titles they own are strictly a financial investment rather than a passion for gaming. Hence numerous "features" were added over the years to reduce the cost of needed customer support staff. This was happening even when SOE was at the helm. Any product like this will be more financially successful if the cost of keeping it running is as low as possible. Ideally the goal using this approach is for their game to be self-correcting and run itself needing no customer support staff at all to intervene. I highly suspect there will be no more in-game support offered at all in the future as we are fairly close to that already.

No petitions = No needed staff = No money spent by DBG to respond = Big $$$$$$ saved!!!!!

I'm not saying following features were solely added to eliminate customer staffing levels. Many were welcomed by players as making things easier, but they also solved a lot of problems EQ was having which required paid staff to intervene. In order to make EQ "run itself" with as little support staff as possible:

Added - Loyalty Vendor with a "bag of platinum" to reduce and eliminate plat sellers who were using hacking tools to create their wealth. Eventually these bags were reduced but they added the ability to sell Krono's to replace this giving access to large amounts of platinum. When was the last time you saw plat sellers in chat or were spammed by them?

Added - Heroic Characters.
    When was the last time you saw PL'd gimpy characters offered for sale in chat or were spammed by them? Similar as above as it was the some of the same peeps doing both.

Added - Rewind command and other methods to get oneself unstuck. Remember waiting for a GM for this? Mostly a game design flaw but required staff on-hand 24/7 to fix. Old issue but reduced petitions.

Added - Summoning corpse in Lobby. Yes, desperately needed as the corpse-run era had passed. Still reduced petitions starting with the line...'I can't find my corpse! Help me!"

Added - Merchants offering to recover deleted items for a fee. Massive petitions reduced!

Added - Changed pets and npc's to stop taking and keeping items they can't use. Massive petitions reduced! How a player accidentally gives their pet their Epic in the past is beyond me.

Added - Guild creation NPC in PoK. This used to take GM's forever! All guild request petitions gone!

Stopped = New Veteran Rewards. Was causing a lot of petitions starting with the line..."where is my 4th reward? I just paid 5 minutes ago!

Stopped - All phone support. Big $$$$$$$$ saved here! Not a game change or new feature but cemented DBG's philosophy of customer support or lack thereof.

The list goes on and I'm not saying these changes aren't positive and needed they just serve another purpose. Fixing anything a player needs help with now falls on the Dev Team to implement some change so they no longer have to offer any support otherwise. They have to pay the Dev Team, they'd prefer to not pay anyone else.

Character transfers will be back once it's fully automated and fool-proofed, requiring no customer support to implement or oversee the xfers.