Easy Mode - The Hard Way

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Jul 26, 2018.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

How about we get rid of Heroic Characters?

Let's, instead, allow people to purchase a 'Guildmaster's Pack' for the same price that includes:

• A permanent 1000% XP Bonus that fades by 100% for every level above 100
    • Evolving armor, jewelry, and weapons that increases in power with every five levels to suit level-appropriate content
    • Auto-granted spells through level 100
    • 10,000 AA
    • (4) 40-slot bags
    • Guildmaster's Mount
    • Access to J1 Mercs
    • Access to Hero's Forge with a unique 'Guildmaster's Armor' set
    • Instant PoK portal clicky usable every 2 hours
  2. Tiggold Augur

This is just easy mode, where is the hard way? That's such an insane request list I can't even.....you should have titled this "DBG please take less money"
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. complexication Kassina

Lol no.

Heroic Characters aren't as much of an issue as everyone makes them out to be.

Might as well get rid of all access membership and make aa autogrant available to f2p players if we're gonna suggest this game breaking bullcrap.
  4. Coagagin Guild house cat

/s
    I draw the line at allowing J1 mercs. Go out and earn something on your own. Sheesh!
    /s
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oh Tiggold, you missed the tongue-in-cheek part of the title. This is mostly a response to people wanting Heroic Characters to go to 100. I would prefer if people learned to play their character and experience content. This helps encourage it.

Not saying it's the best or an elegant solution. But, let's be honest, that ship sailed when they started offering Heroic Characters.
    Tiggold likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You drew the line at J1 mercs? Seriously? So you're fine with Heroic Characters, but J1 mercs? That's simply too much.

You are too much. LOL
  7. seber Augur

hell no ..........
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Any particular reason why not? Or are you just an antagonist?
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

What's game-breaking? You do, of course, realize that autogranted AAs typically give between 10-13kAA at level 105, right? Compleixcation, indeed. For no reason, it would seem.

If you're going to even attempt to play Forum Quest, you don't get easymode without paying for it!
  10. Tiggold Augur

I personally would make no new characters to level from 1. I truly enjoy the Heroic purchase ability and if I get into it and realize this isn't for me I could scrap it. It has actually proven to be a new habit of mine. Buy a heroic level it to see what all the fuss is about which can't be much because it's not a Berserker, then really enjoy it and have a hard time putting it down to pick up my axe again lol. I don't think the Heroics need anything else nor do they need the level increased. I'm not sure if that's your point or not. The items you get as a Heroics are awesome. The model of the items sucks. such a terrible mount: Hey, welcome to the game! Now sit on this raptor and look at the sky at a 45 degree angle.
  11. Ghubuk Augur

Why does someone need to learn to play their character when they can just get "game genie" to play it?
  12. Triconix Augur

So you want permanent 500% exp bonus at 105, 400%/106, 300%/107, 200%108, and 100%/109? So essentially a person can just stop exp at 99% into 109 grind almost all of their AAs with a permanent lesson and then just tick over to 110 and finish up a couple thousand AAs at the most? Put the pipe down and get some fresh air. It'll do you and everybody reading this some good.
    Reynen likes this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

My opinion here is sort of irrelevant, as it's biased more towards the original EQ experience. I don't necessarily have a problem with Heroic Characters, but I do not feel that wholesale content skipping is the appropriate path.

With all the complaining that it takes too long to level without a group, my idea addresses that concern. Then the mountain that's required of returning and new players to climb isn't so steep that they give up before they've engaged with the community.

I want EQ to succeed. Sorry if my suggestions as an alternative to Heroic Characters doesn't sit well with some of you. I don't know if those squawking are just opposed to change or if their intent is to simply exclude as many people as possible that don't fit into their narrow view of what this game should be.
    Tiggold likes this.
  14. Angahran Augur

Noone had a problem with this ?
    Basically never have to worry about getting new gear ?
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Obviously this could be adjusted. This isn't chiseled in stone for Brell's sake.

Alas, I forgot. Forum Questers prefer to lambast and pummel idea makers into silence before they consider possibility. Thanks for your insight.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is different than Heroic Characters skipping 85 levels of content, how?
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Irrelevant. This discussion is about playing the game. Not using cheat programs.
  18. Tiggold Augur

Well some of what you stated has happened to me. I use to play a certain way and anyone that played differently was crazy and just wasting time. I'm older now, the way I play is different, what is important to me as a player is different. I also respect the way others choose to play and cheer for them and I use to not do this. Buying a Heroic character to "jump right into the action" is such a nice feature for them and potential players for so many reasons. Raising it to 100 to keep with current content - that's a huge stretch even by someone who lives in fantasy. They most likely will change the Heroics at some point but 85-105 was a good chunk of time I think the player needs to see if they are enjoying what they are doing.

I don't agree with whole content skipping either but it's inevitable. Even if they started you at 100 in TDS...no one plays in TDS either and especially not Thulisaur since it's a keyed zone, which I've keyed at least 6 toons there in the last two years. Most of the population people seem to be looking for at the latest content - no sh*t right? So it wouldn't matter where they start a Heroic or what level it won't resolve any issue brought up in this thread or the other thread I missed before I found this one :)

In your first paragraph you mentioned the OG EQ experience. I would love that too but we will never get it. Ever. It's like any addiction, the first time is always the best and can not be replicated. I want EQ to succeed just as much as you. The problem being a part of something this big but also this niche is we all look at each other as the same or equals when an outsider looks into our community, when it's just us we all act like everyone else is an outsider and this is our very own precious thing. It takes all kinds and we sure got them here. I'm one of them. I absolutely hate TLP's and the people so vigorously joining them. That's not the original experience they tout. It's an open world Krono race. I personally am too old for that sh*t now but honestly would have tried to get in on it if this were 19 years ago.

The hardest lesson I've ever had to learn from EQ is that I am not a 110 Berserker - I am not a member of a strong community - I AM a customer.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Aurmoon like this.
  19. Aurmoon Augur

I personally don’t mind if new players need to “skip” the majority of levels, even 1 - 105. Putting them in a position where they can start contributing / fighting alongside 110s immediately removes the “new player” killer of having absolutely no one to group with until you’re close to max level.

To me, the power gap is still massive between a new player leveled to 110 and the old school folks that still play EQ today. Think about the collective power offered by:

(1) DON Progression
    (2) Epic 2.0s for many classes (Cleric, Bard, Shaman, SK, Ranger, etc.)
    (3) Achievement rewards of Hero’s Vitality etc.
    (4) Clickies accumulated along the way, from anniversary events (Drunkard’s Stein, Shrink Ring, etc.) to older items (CoA Breastplates, Bard Tacvi Weapon, Staff of Forbidden Rites, etc.)
    (5) Accumulation of Trophies / Tribute
    (6) Actually maxing out useful AAs
    (7) Augments (Coldain Shawl, Tears of Alaris, Artisan’s Prize, Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection, +Specialization Evocation/Alteration Augs, etc.)

As far as I’m concerned a new player could start out at level 110 with a full set of Conflagrant Armor and it wouldn’t bother me one bit. They would STILL be way behind the old school players who have enhanced their power and utility (and knowledge) little by little over the past 19 years.
    Tiggold likes this.
  20. Tiggold Augur

So many miss this simple and very important thing:
    (3) Achievement rewards of Hero’s Vitality etc.