Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Guildhall dummies doesn't work for weapon-skillups.

Going to the arena and attacking you own merc(don't kill it though), does work. You become a pvp-target though. Not sure how it works on normal servers, but on Zek you could lose all the plat you carried, that way.

I didn't dare to go afk, but I got skillup on auto-attacks. I wonder if the new banestrike changes ruined that approach...? can you banestrike a merc to death? I guess a healer merc can take it.

Kinda off-topic though.:p
  2. Ghubuk Augur

I would respond by saying that I only use what is allowed WITHIN the game. I have to go to each character and play them, I don't have a program doing it for me.
    xcitng likes this.
  3. Bigfan Augur

I think its funny how bloated this thread has gotten from 3 white Knight self righteous people who basically are campaigning to kill eq.

I know many, MANY, people who use programs and stuff, and they are they absolute nicest and helpful folk you can find..

So ya..
  4. Cleaver Augur

You think they realize its the same 4-5 people responding to each other for the last 19 pages ?
  5. Bigfan Augur

That's what I'm more worried about, knee jerk reaction from a company that doesn't know it's playerbase.

When they ban most the players, I'll be happy for my break from this addiction.

Not posting anymore ;)
  6. segap Augur

It's fairly simple. You're either playing and enjoying the game, or you're a scrpt kiddie just using the game as a means for different entertainment. Trying to justify sitting in front of the computer making bots not bots is BS and those people know it. They're either directly under your control receiving commands directly from you or they're not. Keyboard broadcasting is a grey area, but it at least involves active input rather than autonomous bots.

If they can make a profit off if, I'd be perfectly fine if they created a server which allowed bots. No transfers off and make krono no drop on it (I assume that's easier than hiding krono people get from other servers/games). As someone who enjoys coding and tinkering, I can appreciate the joy people get from writing and optimizing their scripts. But bots (afk or watched) do not belong on normal servers. It's a disruption to others, skews the economy and messes with game balance. Silliness like running multie groups at once have no game play purpose. It's all about the act of scripting it. The fun of having done so. Let those people have a sandbox playground if it helps the finances of the game.
    xcitng, Khat_Nip and Ghubuk like this.
  7. strongbus Augur

to do this they need to merge some servers cause I would guess if they forced all those who use 3rd party software to control their toons to one or 2 severs it would drop the popof some server so low that it would not be worth keeping them going.
    Lordoro likes this.
  8. bjosh New Member

theres so much bad info and ignorance in this post.
    NO mac ro quest.
    No SHOW EQ
    No PACKET INJECTING
    NO DLL MODIFICATIONS.
    22 pages of people about grey areas and i Bet 99% of you cant even do any of that listed above. go back to about something that matters... oh wait.
  9. rescue016 New Member

Easy way to follow this, DON'T USE 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE. They aren't talking about hardware such as keyboards and such because they can't restrict that. That would be like them saying "You can only play the game on a Dell Latitude computer with no more than 2gig ram and a 1.5ghz processer. However they can restrict the use of other programs.
  10. jordune Augur

It’s simple
    Ban the warpers/hackers
    And eq lives another day

Flip the switch and make all servers true- box in 1fel swoop
    And eq dies that day
    Lordoro likes this.
  11. Lordoro New Member

Oh the irony... you bring up bad info and ignorance and then you list that...
    There are no third party tools that use “packet injecting” not the first tool U list and not even the second does that(not defending either, but if you are going to state propaganda, at least stick to the truth)

As for dll modifications, there are no third party tools that modify any eq dlls, (the one this thread is about that’s new modifies the executable and luckily you didn’t list it, we don’t want to advertise it as roxxlyy said) but I’m going to give u the benefit of the doubt here and say that you probably mean “no software that loads dynamic link library files into the EverQuest address space”? There corrected it for you.

The problem with such a arbitrary and flimsy rule is that:
    1. We wouldn’t have a eqresource site since they collect their data using the above method.
    2. We wouldn’t have a Lucy db since it sniffs the data stream (I’m gonna guess that’s what you mean by “packet injection”)
    3. We wouldn’t have magelo see 1
    4. We wouldn’t have I s boxer either see 1 (although you are probably against that one as well, but if you are why didn’t u list it?
    5. No eqw either see 1
    6. No eqplaynice see 1
    7. No WinEQ see 1
    7. No Custom labels see 1
    Should I go on? 90% of all the “legal” third party tools uses some form of loaded libraries to accomplish what they do...
    Pfft, “ignorance” it’s such a easy thing to ignore when facts don’t fit your agenda...

There are legit concerns you people can focus on, this isn’t one of them.
    Right now the two groups arguing here are just at each other’s throats, no one can convince the other they are right,
    If you want to segregate the players, just start a freebox tlp server that mirrors phinigel or agnarr and allows boxing and problem solved, now both crowds have their own little playgrounds...

If dbg wants to survive they need to cater to both crowds. I respect both boxers and the anti boxers. At the same time logic dictates that the multi account owners bring in the most money... I guess dbg knows this as well.
    Adrienna likes this.
  12. Ghubuk Augur

So do we. It's the botters we have issues with. It isn't boxing when a program is playing the toon for you.
    xcitng likes this.
  13. Anthym New Member

as someone who has played eq heavily for the past 18 years, having a stroke a few years ago really sucked for me. I lost the use of my left arm as well as other parts don't work as well as they should have. I do use some third party unmentionable programs, all previously acknowledged as allowed, to assist me in bridging the gap to play like a normal person.

I'm extremely anti bot, anti warp, anti afk anything. I've even reported/video'd some of my own guild mates that were blatantly violating the unattended game play, good riddance to that kind of cancer.

I'm assuming this blanket statement was mostly aimed at a pretty large influx of sudden warping on a certain server, hoping that these people would stop so dbg doesn't have to ban them, cause i doubt they want to lose any income if they don't have to.
    Adrienna and Lordoro like this.
  14. Lordoro New Member

The only thing that differed between botters and boxers is that boxers attend while botting is unattended. If you are there controlling your main, you are boxing no matter how many chars are assisting you. It’s no different than using a merc except you use your own alt to assist you. If you can’t see this you are simply a hypocrite.

Anyway, dbg knows very well the difference between a bot and a box.
    My alts are controlled by my main, if I attack a mob they attack it, if I sit they sit. Etc, in other words, fully controlled by me although I don’t need to alt tab to do it. I click my “follow me” hot button a command goes out to them to do just that, I click that button and they follow, I don’t klick it they stay put, this shouldn’t be hard to grasp, I control them, therefor I AM boxing them.

I AM against autonomous AI that plays the game unattended, I am NOT against ai that follow my orders while I’m at the keyboard. I use game genie to accomplish this but I could as well use is boxer. There is no difference except in play style/setup. I don’t warp, (gg core doesn’t have such a feature, that’s just propaganda) I don’t hack and I don’t disrupt others gameplay either.

I’m worried that legitimate boxers are going to be hurt when we are in fact upstanding and good citizens of norath, we support the dbg business and we are just as much against active hacks and cheats and rmt as everyone else from the anti crowd.
    Adrienna likes this.
  15. Ghubuk Augur

Having a program run toons is not "taking control of them".
    xcitng likes this.
  16. Grammerpolice New Member

I am compairing unreasonable victimization of a specific group of human beings to another unreasonable victimization of a specific group of human beings. People HATE so called 'botters' why? "Because they can do things we cant". That's literally the best reasoning I have heard so far in this thread. NO ONE has given me a good enough reason to why we should mistreat and prejudice an entire group of people.

I've even gone so far as to show that Holly has said Botters/boxers interchangeably so literally everyone here is making up their own definitions of what the words mean and they're campaigning 12hrs a day, vigiorously, to punish these people they don't even know.

It's sickening and I am shocked more people don't realize it.
  17. Lordoro New Member

You are talking about unattended ai again. If I use a program to issue my orders (broadcast a keystroke for example) to control a second toon I am boxing not botting. I am in control, if I’m not at the keyboard and my alt is attacked he will die cause I’m not there controlling him from my main. You CAN play this way with either boxing software be it gg or isb. The actual software doesn’t dictate if it’s a box or a bot, it’s how the software is used that determines that...

You can use Microsoft Excel to create viruses and malicious code, but no rational person would ban Excel since it has legitimate use as well. This post is about stopping actual active hacks and people cheating where their behavior impact or adversely affect others gameplay, it is NOT about trying to point finger at a specific tool which may or may not allow this.

People in this thread don’t even know what triggered the post in the first place, but I can assure you it isn’t gg.

This post coincided with the release of something much more sinister. I wish I could just name it but I can’t without advertising the crap.
    Adrienna likes this.
  18. Grammerpolice New Member

YOU are the reason that YOU have an "unfair disadvantage" if you'd just clean up your act, do some research and start using the program yourself you'd have absolutely nothing to complain about. We aren't going to stop using the program because you think it's "unfair".. To give you a metaphor of how silly your argument is, it would be like you yelling at motorists who drive to work telling them they have an unfair advantage and they should walk to work like you, who can't afford a car. Sorry bub, it's your fault that you don't have a car, not their fault that they do have cars.
    Ishtass, Adrienna, Levy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Ok, looking at the "game genie"-wiki, It does look like it can trivialize a lot of gameplay mechanics.
    A small subset of the rogue part offers stuff like:
    • Automatically stick (maneuver behind) engaged targets in a VERY human-like way.
    • Create a virtual leash for your rogue and attach it to an NPC or player or to a virtual stake in the ground.
    • Determine when to take evasive action, including nimble discipline and potentially escape.
    • Avoid riposte damage by disabling autoattack whenever enrage is detected and you're facing the target (if autoassist is on, autoattack is turned back on after the enrage wears off).
    • Drag an unlimited number of corpses
    • etc.
    My understanding is that pretty much everything related to hitbox-positioning is done for you automatically. (I don't play a melee-character, but its probably a pretty big deal for melee-chars).
    Even if you are controlling other chars in that group/raid, I would still consider helper-programs like that cheating! its pretty much an "auto-pilot", and does not belong in the game imo.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and xcitng like this.
  20. UndeadBob Journeyman

This is so very simple...

Stop cheating and botting... and you don’t have to worry about being banned.

Please QUICKLY ban those that continue to cheat as they are ruining the game for everyone (and have been for a long time), especially for those that play by the rules.
    xcitng likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.