Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EQ Dev Developer

As stated within the EverQuest Rules of Conduct, you may not modify your EverQuest gameplay by using any banned/cheat programs in game.

Recently we greatly improved our algorithms for finding problem accounts, and have started putting these methods to use. We have been consistently banning accounts that are verified cheaters, and will be continuing to accelerate our banning process.

We will be issuing permanent bans to all verified cheaters that we detect. If you do not want to lose your ability to play EverQuest, it is imperative that you refrain from using any cheat programs.

Though it may take a bit of time to remove infringing accounts from the game, we are being thorough and will continue this effort until it is no longer required.

- The EverQuest Team

As an additional note: Please do not mention ANY specific cheating programs here on our forums. This will lead to your forum privileges being revoked and could open up an investigation that may result in action being taken against your EverQuest account.
    Jhenna_BB, Axxius, Ronove and 19 others like this.
  2. Hemick Journeyman

I think it would help to know Daybreak's definition of a cheat program, because in my entire tenure playing EverQuest, that definitions has changed. I know at one point, programs that read log files and spit out audio alerts were considered bannable, as were using autoclicker and keyboard macro applications (but only if they weren't functions of the keyboard and mouse hardware you possessed). I frankly use the autoclicking functionality of my mouse when I am feeding mana to clerics as a Necromancer because I don't want carpal tunnel, but equally don't want to be banned.

That's not to say I'm not aware of what this is *probably* referring to, but pointing at the track record of *whoever* provided support for EverQuest at any point, mistakes have been made frequently.
  3. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I would like to see a list myself. I have only recently come back to EQ, but in the past, I was a vocal user of one specific program, that only eased the system resource requirements to smoothly run and switch between multiple clients on the same PC. There was no automation, at all. And since we are not allowed to mention software names, I can't even "legally" ask about it. Not that I would get a straight answer, based on past dev replies on the topic as a whole.
    juggalo likes this.
  4. Eyecandii New Member

without a definitive list saying This is what we allow.. and this is what we dont. its hard for anybody to know what can be used or not. i think this is bad business.. dont tease and be vague.. say what u mean and just be done with it. everytime i see a post like this it always leaves more questions than answers.. and the shear fact that they left this thread open for comments makes me curious as to why.. anybody that posts here automatically becomes suspicious?
    juggalo likes this.
  5. Westtell Journeyman

Does my Razor synapse macros for my keyboard and mouse count as cheating ?
  6. Westtell Journeyman

This is something thats an industry standard it seems they wont tell u if ur using a banned program until they ban u for using it
  7. Cleaver Augur

If that counts so does the Logitech keyboards with 12-18 macro buttons and logitech software to set them up.
  8. Eyecandii New Member

if they would put as much time into rebuilding and revamping graphics and the core game as they do in trying to catch "cheaters" they would pull in more folks and have a reason to police the game.. as it stands right now.. if u ban anybody in mass amounts ur just hurting urself =( and making it that much harder on the folks still playing to find groups and accomplish goals
  9. Eyecandii New Member

the blackweb i have has all sorts of goodies built into it.. alot of the gaming keyboards do.. thats why a list of whats accepted and whats not would be nice. i know keyboards and mice that do more than some 3rd party stuff u can use
    Westtell likes this.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Well, we all know the ONE, the one whose name shall not be named. However, the way the EULA is written, ANYTHING is a third party program, including Windows. In the past (SOE days) it was laid out pretty clear. Do not use anything that will automate the game, or manipulate data packets so as to give yourself an advantage. The program I used was given the green light, because it did none of that. However, new company, and some new faces around the office.

I get it, really. Don't cheat. Should be easy to understand for everybody, but then that pesky human nature kicks in. Naming specific programs that are banned MAY result in the oddball here and there, going to see what all the fuss is about. Not naming them, only gets people to looking.
  11. Eyecandii New Member

12. Aurastrider Augur

I think some form of common sense has to come into play here guys. Is the program you are using playing the game for you? Can you EQ while you are actually not at the keyboard? If the answer is yes to the above it is illegal.

I think instead of the devs laying out specific programs they just need to list specific features that will get you banned. This way if a program you are using utilizes a feature on the ban list you will know that program is a do not use program. If the program you are using does not use a feature on the ban list you will be fine. By clearly stating features this will also cover things in the event that someone modifies a program or if the program itself changes in the feature. There is no way the devs can keep up with outside program changes so they cant really endorse a specific program due to that program making a change that might potentially violate the EULA. At that end since the EULA is the law there should be a section added that specifically lists features that will get someone banned this way it is clear to the player base when they are unsure about using a new program. If some new innovative cheat feature is created that feature can be added to the EULA.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Eyecandii New Member

if they know enough about said features to write and encode countermeasures.. then yes.. they know.. js
  14. Eyecandii New Member

and for the record they have stated that u can have programs that automate ur toons.. just as long as ur sitting at the keyboard. ill dig and see if i can find it but i know i saw it when i came back in december cause a buddy of mine linked it to me
  15. kdomg Journeyman

Thank you! Keep up the good work.
  16. Sere New Member

I have no problems with them going after unattended macro use. But they would likely lose up to 50-60% of their paying customers if they target some of the most popular programs.
  17. Thunderkiks Augur

I love this, thank you!
    So Happy likes this.
  18. Westtell Journeyman

as long as i cant get banned for using my razor macro's and stuff i it doesnt really automate anything its just one button push that hits a hot button number 2 and hot button number 4 that assist the main tank and tell my pet to attack and then cast spells 2 and 6 that are dots
  19. Bubonic_VZ New Member

5. You may not modify any part of the EverQuest Client, Server or any part of the EverQuest Web Page located at <https://www.everquest.com/home>.

This is what you're trying to quote but adding to it. The programs I can personally think of don't alter the Client, Server, or anything to do with your webpage.

11. You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running EverQuest.

I imagine those map hacks and spawn trackers people have fall into this category

10. You will not upload or transmit on EverQuest, or on the EverQuest Web Site any copyrighted content that you do not own all rights to, unless you have the express written permission of the author or copyright holder.

Meaning we can't stream gameplay or upload videos of gameplay without your consent.

Those are the only 3 things I can see on your stated RoC page you're providing that involve possible third party programs
  20. Hamshire Augur

21. Fornow Lorekeeper

so happy u guys banned that 9 boxer camping stuff 7 days straight without ever stopping :) i was about to give up on DB...Renewed life!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.