Shadowknight Epic - please reconsider

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gutt, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Febb Augur

How is changing the spawn timer on Marl going to fix people using 3rd party programs to hand in items? He needs to stay spawned for a while instead of instantly despawning.
  2. Gutt Journeyman

Exactly
  3. Lifereaper New Member

Tonight I watched an SK run his box army down and kill caradon without even bothering to spawn kyrenna, effectively blocking other SKs from progressing to the marl bottleneck which I assume was his purpose.

Meanwhile shamans can simply get a tear that drops multiple times in instanced fear every week after 30 minutes of rep grinding.

Makes perfect sense.
  4. Doomrage New Member

Bump for a fix
  5. Gutt Journeyman

What is it going to take for Devs to consider or even give feedback on the issue?. If you search Marl Kastane the threads are endless.
  6. That0neguy Augur

The lack of feedback is feedback in itself. It is obviously way down the backlog of things to do if it is even on the list to start.
  7. Ambee Elder

If his respawns timer isn't so long, you don't get the bottle neck and people don't resort to the 3rd party programs.

But not having him despawn is also a good solution.
  8. Xeris Augur

I doubt it's worse than on Agnarr, and most of the people who complained about others using 3rd party programs were just too slow. I'd imagine Coirnav is the same
  9. Gutt Journeyman

Its not even being too slow, Marl doesn't even have time to render and hes gone. He literally doesn't even show up, its just the text he says when somebody does the hand in.
  10. taliefer Augur

all they really need to do is make it so he spawns when a new pick of tox pops, and thatd solve the problem of a hand in guy being a bottle neck, which is just absurdly stupid.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

if the spawn timer was drastically reduced and absolutely nothing else changed it would fix the bottleneck and abuse. Its exactly what they did with the seb key. When kunark launched anyone who wanted to go to seb could easily and without unjustifiable time sinks for these express servers.

Changing spawn timers, we all believe, is a trivially fast and easy task.
  12. Risiko Augur

I wonder what it takes to change a quest NPC to not despawn after you do a turn in to him or change his respawn timer to like 1 hour.

It seems like such an obvious solution that there has to be more to why it hasn't been changed all these years than meets the eye.
  13. MaestroM Augur

First time I log into the forum in months and this thread is here. +1 remove bottlenecks.
  14. Aegir Augur

I do think people deserves a Jay or Nay here...

I remember Socking Ragefire for Cleric Final Fight in SolB back then at Naggy spawnpoint numerous times, of which in general, caused less drama than this. Eventually Ragefire event was moved to Skyfire as a rare rare spawn to trigger the fight, to eventually just make it a triggered fight in the zone. The Epic drops from Gods (Cazic's Skin anyone?) and Raid Bosses were altered to easier fights or means to obtain those.

I don't think you are fooling anyone's classic feeling about making these SK epic steps more accessible. Epic quests has been altered so much throughout the first years of their introduction, that even with our current TLP state of our hardest Epic Quests will serve no justice to how painful some of the initial ones were back in the fall of 2000.

So whenever you have the time, do the TLP community a favor and solve these last absurd bottlenecks. I don't mind bottlenecks, but some of these rank among extreme absurdity in line with some of the first Epic bottlenecks that rather quickly were changed in 2000/2001.
  15. MaestroM Augur

Aegir,

I think the Devs get it. Pretty much the only people who claim that turn-in bottlenecks are not trying to be taken seriously. The problem isn't whether the bottlenecks should be removed, its whether they can be removed given the time constraints on the Devs. If their jobs are anything like my job, they're constantly running into deadlines and their schedule (even on light days) doesn't leave much room for side projects. While fixing the spawn timers on a few mobs in a few zones probably takes less work than fixing Rathe council, you could easily imagine it taking at least half a day for one or two people. I'm a little disappointed that its a year after Agnarr launch (and even months after Coirnav launch) and these problems aren't fixed, but (as much as it hurts me to say this) the epics in question really aren't THAT useful after Kunark. I can easily see DBG making the decision that half a day of Dev time is better spent elsewhere, even though it breaks my heart that my SK will never have his epic.

That said, Agnarr is the best thing to happen to EQ since Combine/Sleeper. I made a deal with DBG, instance raids and I'll sub till it all gets shut down. Fixing bottlenecks is icing on the cake that I can keep waiting for.
  16. Machentoo Augur

I suspect this is part of it, but I also suspect there is some natural resistance to making changes like this on the part of the dev staff. Think about it. These guys' primary job is to develop new content for Everquest. They put a ton of time and effort each year into coming up with the next new expansion. And here we have all these TLP players that don't want to even try that content out, and instead want to play stuff made by other devs ~18 years ago. And the current devs are required to support us. It's gotta sting a bit, or at least be frustrating. Especially when most of the issues players complain about, the devs HAVE corrected in modern content. I think seen through this lense, a lot of the decisions to leave some of the negative aspects of the pre-pop experience (old school keying/groundspawns, epic chokepoints) is a bit more understandable.

On top of that, players aren't always happy with changes, even changes we ask for. The TLP formula as it currently stands is pretty successful. The more they tinker with it, the more there is a possibility that it becomes too far removed from the nostalgic experience people are looking for to remain successful. I don't THINK changes to the SK epic would be a bridge too far, but who knows.
    andross77 likes this.
  17. Mesozoic_Coirnav New Member

Upcoming Patch notes leaked:

August 29, 2018

*** Highlights ***

- Scars of Velious content is now available on the Coirnav server!

*** Quests And Events ***

- The Shaman epic quest has been changed so that each step gives an item that must be turned in for the next step in an effort to make things more fair to all the other hard working classes.
    - The Rogue epic quest has been changed so that it cannot be completed until level 61.

*** Spells ***

- Rangers can now purchase Spell: Sacrificial Lamb at level 1.
    - Bards can now purchase Song: Wonderwall at level 60.
    - Magicians can now purchase Spell: Orb of Elemental Mastery at level 46

*** NPCs ***

- Marl Kastane's respawn timer has been lowered.
    - Vessel Drozlin's respawn timer has been dramatically lowered.
    - Raster of Guk is now a static spawn with no placeholder.
    - Targin the Rock is now a static spawn with no placeholder.
    - An iksar betrayer is now a static spawn with no placeholder.
    - A drolvarg pawbuster is now a static spawn with no placeholder.
    - A broken golem now spawns in the Feerott.
    - An ancient Jarsath is now a static spawn with no placeholder.

*** Items ***

- Pearlescent Shards are now sold by merchants in Firiona Vie and the Overthere.
    - The following items can now drop from various colored drakes around the world: Green Dragon Scales, White Dragon Scales, Red Dragon Scales.
    - A piece of medallion in the Swamp of No Hope now spawns considerably faster.

*** Progression Servers ***

- All distillates you can purchase from vendors should be available on each city's parcel vendor.
    - All spells have been added to vendors they would normally be on regardless of era.
    - Experience rates on the Coirnav server are now considerably higher.
    - Howling Stones can now be entered at level 55 without a key.

*** Miscellaneous ***

- Kronos can now be used to purchase 1000 Daybreak Cash.

*** UI ***

- Extended target window added to all servers.
    discordkitty likes this.
  18. Fumi-chan Augur

Mesozoic_Coirnav... Marl is terrible but everything else you listed makes you look like a whiny carebear. Epics are epic for a reason. There is effort involved. Marl is garbage though. Should be an instant respawn like other hand in mobs for epics.
  19. Mesozoic_Coirnav New Member

It sounds like my sarcasm went over your head. But if you have to explain the joke it's not funny, I guess. -- I agree Marl is Garbage, but I just don't see them changing it now if they haven't done so after Live, Combine, Fippy/Vulak, Ragefire/Lockjaw, Phinny, Agnarr all complained about them.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  20. discordkitty Augur

A hilarious piece of art.