In what order will the "current" era of TLPs (RF, LJ, Phinny, Agnarr, Coirnav) die. And why?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Scrax, Jun 16, 2018.

1. GeauxTigers Elder

You can play 6 easily above average, key is hotkeys and macros. In PoR+ (TSS, TBS, etc) I boxed zerker, ranger, sham, bard, beast, sk - three of which easily hit the top 5 in a burn (in for its a time a top 10 guild of triality)

I think this entire issue comes down to what people you are dealing with. Phinny vs Agnarr has two completely different sets of people interested in two completely different things in server. Phinny vs Coirnav - Phinny WAS the first Coirnav - most people interested in staying are still there, which has naturally left only the people interested in racing/EQ paycheck etc etc.
  2. Kahna Augur

Having played on Corinav from the start I just don’t see the “horrible krono farmer” stuff that everyone keeps spouting. It doesn’t feel any worse than Phinny or Agnarr was. I have never had a problem camping the items I want, including the high value/easy kill mobs such as the CoS. We’ve killed the chardok royals, gotten our epics, camped the hiero cloak, never had anyone steal our named in Chardok. We have never not been able to camp something we wanted, we just picked around till we found it open. I have never felt like I had to pay someone to get an item I wanted. The only items I have purchased were a handful of turn in spells at the start of the expansion so I could get the quested spells done.

My epic took two weeks to finish on Agnarr because a single farmer was camping the mob I needed in CoM 24/7, My group killed that particular epic mage drop mob 5 times in the first week just because we happened to be in the zone, gave it away to guildies and random mages in the zone. Never saw anyone perma camping it. I have run into fewer farmers on Corinav than I did on Agnarr, though that is probably just a reflection of a smaller population. It actually feels pretty nice, the smaller population. Less crowding in general.
  3. Astral64 Augur

I will most certainly say Phinigel has a strong raiding population if six guilds beat Underfoot. Thanks for proving my point with your novel.

Six guilds finishing content in era, especially that late in the game, is still a far stronger server than any other out there.

Also, I would only say one expansion after Underfoot was harder and that has mostly been nerfed/fixed.
    jeskola likes this.
  4. jeskola pheerie

What about my evagina?
  5. Buddi Elder

Lockjaw and Ragefire population fell off quickly when Phinigel launched 12/9/2015. Any discussion of their continuing population decline has little to do with going to another server. Like Phinigel, the decline is more likely that the player lost interest in EQ altogether, or had real life issues that took precedence. I am surprised these servers weren't merged way back when Phinigel was launched.

Phinigel was definitely the TLP server of choice until Agnarr launch. However, Agnarr got tons of casuals and krono farmers from Phinigel, but the hard core raiders did not leave Phinigel to raid on Agnarr, though many did try it out. I suspect the same is true of raiders on Lockjaw and Ragefire. Ayway, the charm of a PoP locked server will dissipate and it will be replaced with another server that starts over again. When this new server gets to LDON, they will merge it with Agnarr and rinse/repeat.

Cornaiv is a clone of Phinigel, whose starting population is smaller than Phinigel was. I suspect that the percentage of people dedicated to going 5+ years to get to live is also smaller than it was on Phinigel. If Daybreak opens another Phinigel clone, which wouldnt surprise me, Cornaiv will lose population to that server as well, but raiders on Cornaiv will stick with Cornaiv as their "main server".

No TLP server will ever experience a net gain in population, as long as Daybreak continues to launch new TLP servers to entice people to commit again. That's not a complaint, its just a fact. Creating new TLP servers regularly is how Daybreak is keeping this game alive and profitable.
    Acaelus likes this.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Eqmac was buggy and therefore difficult. Agnarr isn't. That difficulty combined with the fact that tlp servers were few and far between back then helped.eqmac stay alive. Agnarr has neither of those.
  7. p2aa Augur

There are many expansions that are 10 x harder than Underfoot.
    From memory harder raids I have in mind,
    Veil of Alaris last tier, with especially Pillar raid and Triunity God raid.
    EoK raids, Queen raid, Vault raid, Kar Zok raid, Ancient Dragon raid
    RoS raids, Drusella Vault, Sathir Line raids.
    And most of the raids of expansions that came after Underfoot are 100 x harder than pre UF raids. As I said at one moment you need 50 + players and people that have to deal way more DPS than before to beat raids. Add to the need to wipe over and over on hard raids (which will scare many TLP players), you need to pay attention to emotes, or you wipe the raid. Lot of emotes at same time.
    This will be a whole new raid experience that is going to be unpleasant for a majority of TLP players. And make them leave the server.
  8. Astral64 Augur

That just is not true.

Nothing in RoS or EoK has been as challenging as Underfoot. They have also all been done with low 40s, possibly less. I'll give ya Triunity. (That was the one expansion I would call harder, but it isn't the beast it once was.)

We've been dealing with "wipe the raid" emotes for some time now on Phinigel. I can also point to several guilds here who spent many hours wiping to certain encounters and pulled through for victory that are still chuggin along.

Give it up, this server is great.
  9. p2aa Augur

Then we have to disagree on this. RoS and EoK raids are way more difficult than Underfoot. Underfoot you didn't need the massive DPS you need to beat some of the RoS and EoK events. Low tier raiding guilds were able to beat Underfoot, they have been unable to beat RoS and still many haven't beat EoK too despite the level boost.
    That's sure that there won't be 6 guilds beating EoK expansion.
  10. TLP Addict Augur

Most posts in this thread be like...

[IMG]
    Brumans likes this.
  11. Barathrum Augur

All of them when the FV TLP server is finally given to us!
    Lantherion likes this.
  12. Lantherion Elder

So true, me and my friends are all waiting for this to happen next year, if not we will be done with eq.
  13. Wiff Elder

Personally, I think Agnarr will be the last of the current TLPs to go dead. It seems to have more casual, social people who will be reluctant to leave their friends. It will take them years to cap out all of their alts.

Sure, the population will steadily decrease, but not as fast as the others, which clear out every time a new one opens.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think it's wrong to put faith in Agnarr's longevity based on the fact that it didn't die when Coirnav was released. Coirnav is such an unappealing disappointment at release and Agnarr hadn't hit its expansion cap. Let's see how Agnarr is doing a year from now and then talk :)

But frankly, I doubt ANY of these servers will die "first". DBG still maintains Fippy. Why would anybody believe that any of these servers will go away before they ALL go away?

According to the Home page status report, right now:

Coirnav is High.
    Agnarr, Bristlebane, and Firiona Vie are Medium.
    Everything else is Low.

If you number the TLPs, with the most recent being #1, this order is exactly the same as it was last year. And the year before that. TLP's are replaced each year, and I don't see any evidence of that changing, even with Coirnav's dismal offering.

Heheh...TLPs are the Pop Music of EQ servers. I hope the next server is named after a K-Pop band. :D
  15. Wiff Elder

I don't. I base the opinion on the type of people that play there and the overall feeling of the server. I'm sure most of the hardcore raiders have already moved on, or will soon. I believe most of who is left is there for the long-term social aspects. Almost every pug I am in, people actually chat while they play. It is relatively easy to get free buffs or ports in PoK. It just has a different feel than the other servers.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Your observations are very valid, and I hope the best for everybody playing on any servers. EDIT: It sounds very nice :)

But I think it's a little early to predict that Agnarr will be different from previous TLP servers when the available data shows that its population trends are behaving the same way as previous servers would predict. And especially too early since it hasn't yet reached its "defining" characteristic: the expansion lock.

Will that expansion lock reverse the currently downward-trending population? Maybe, but my prediction is that it will have the opposite effect (speeding up the decline), if it has any effect at all.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

But as @Wiff is pointing out, the population of a server is only one factor in a server's "success". If the people playing on the server are happy, then the server is a success from the players' point of view.

If that one guy still playing on Fippy is happy, then that server is still a success!
  18. monkypowah Elder

In what order will the current era TLPs (RF, LJ, Phinny, Agnarr, Coirnav) die. And why?

order will be:

1 - coirnav: nothing new, awful exp, toxic rmt, low quality players, bad, won’t make it to GoD?
    2 - lj: 3-5 years
    3 - rf: 3-5 years
    4 - agnarr: it will live a long long life 5+ more years, some casuals and some great guilds and raiders
    5 - phinny: easily sets the bar, best and most active guilds, best quality players, has higher quality casuals, 5-8 more years
  19. Wiff Elder

Err... I don't think I said that.

To be clear, this is all I am saying: I believe Agnarr will be the last of the current TLP servers to have a substantial population, because it is more social in nature.

There is no need to read more in to it than that.
  20. Aynling New Member

The only thing harder than UF is PoWar and some VoA crap, everything in HoT/RoF/CoTF/TDS/TBM is incredibly easy. Haven't raided the most recent 2 expacs but given the narrative you're attempting to push combined with the lavanet.no/progress (everything just melted on lockout as usual) I'd put a large sum of money down that you're drastically overstating the difficulty of those expansions.