Classic Spell Icons...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Perplexed, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Perplexed Augur

Fantastic job!
    Been waiting a very long time for them to return.
  2. valiantSeven Elder

It's definitely a pretty cool change, but to the Developers, is there any way that you guys could add back the entirely black solid-fill square to the list of spell icons? I guess since there were so many unused ones before there were just a bunch of black squares that you could assign to your hotbuttons, and it made them really easy to stand out and differentiate from all the others.

Example:
    [IMG]

Versus:
    [IMG]

There's no longer that all-black option there (or any kind of solid color for that matter) so that you can really have the text "pop," which is really hard to do on that crappy gray color with the slot/button number poking its head through the text.

Or, would any custom UI developers have a good suggestion how to add this? I edited Spells63.tga on my own to simply include a black square that was the same size as all the other icons around it. I reloaded my UI and the square was there. It worked perfectly all the way up until I logged out and logged back in, and the patcher then saved over Spells63.tga and reverted it back to the default image :(
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Place your version of spells63.tga in a separate (custom) folder under the UI folder. Then load that UI (the folder name of the folder you created).

When you load a custom UI, it will load whatever files are in the custom folder. Any files not in the custom folder that are needed will be loaded from the default folder. The patcher will not touch your custom folder.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Dats what I do.
  5. valiantSeven Elder

This is working great! Thank you :)

The only problem I'm having now is that the cursor no longer displays as the default icon. Even after putting a copy of arrow.cur in the custom folder along with Spells63.tga, the cursor displays as the normal, standard white cursor you'd typically associate with Windows.

That's a pretty minimal problem, though!

Edit: Actually, nevermind. I copied the entire default folder and named it default2, and then just placed my edited version of Spells63.tga into that folder instead. Everything is working fine now. Thanks again!
  6. Ssdar Augur

This will work for this patch, but will require you to copy the default folder and add your spells63.tga every month. You were on the right track with copying over arrow.cur, but you needed to copy over a few more files: ew.cur, ibeam.cur, move.cur, nesw.cur, ns.cur, and nswe.cur: 7 .cur files total + spells63.tga and you should have a relatively unbreakable UI.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'd recommend against copying the entire default folder and using that. If you just put in your custom folder the files you wish not to be changed, then it will last through all patches until they change those files.

Every patch, they say which UI files are changed. So if they mention they are changing the files you have in your custom UI, you can see if they "broke" it and if so, then you can fix the problem. Otherwise, you have the other current files you need to stay up to date without needed to do anything.

Daybreak has really done a nice job of supporting custom UIs in this way.
  8. valiantSeven Elder

Thank you both! Working perfectly :)