Servers still down...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Arriock, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arriock New Member

This is absolutely rediculous, thank you Dev for your support and hard work that allows us all to play EQ ... However, i have played since the beggining.. i took a break fopr a few years to be single dad, now my 13 year old playing and i love playing this game with him, but this 6 hours over patch time is one of the main reasons i decided to stop the first time.. why does this MMO seem to be the only one that has such a hard time getting patch times /bug fixes squared away in timely fashion.. i look forward to every minute i get to play with my son ,, this is truly the main reason why everyone i know stops playing. I do thank you for supplying a great game and thank you for your hard work but damn... 6 hours over your intended finish time..
  2. Geroblue Augur

Well, its a lot of code. Things happen. Overages have happened before.

Biggest program I ever wrote was about seven thousand lines. This game is substantionaly larger.
  3. Hardcore New Member

Didn't they test this on test server ?
    Draazen and Makta like this.
  4. Ghostinthemachine Elder

20 year old code so frail you sneeze it might explode
    Makta likes this.
  5. Minrye New Member

Yes, it's just that at this point maybe it's time to make the initial estimate a bit longer? If you keep saying '6-hours!' but it's really more like 12-30, it's time to calibrate.

moogs, Makta and ClutchBandicott like this.
  6. Gungnire New Member

If only there was a dedicated server to testing these issues for a game that's 19 years old
    moogs, Herf, Draazen and 3 others like this.
  7. ClutchBandicott New Member

There is no excuse for this, and you have something on your nose it looks brown.
    Makta and LockridgeUK like this.
  8. Smooth23 New Member

There goes my night. Totally had 4 hours lined up to play. Back from a six year hiatus, play for two short evenings and.....
  9. Duckletter22 New Member

Had the most boring day at work today... Thanks
  10. Iamvulcan AKA ChickenDumplin

unless they are doing a hardware change as well then this should have been a software transfer to the server and a reboot. all of this should have been tested on an offline environment before patch day. but there is no way i can see that a software patch should last 12 hrs+. yes there is a lot of code but shouldn't be doing that code today !! there should have been a software delivery package ready and waiting before any server was brought down. if there is a critical fail in the delivery then roll it back and fix the delivery package and try again tomorrow. and just a wild and crazy question . . . why all at once ? why not stop server transfers for a day. then have 1 server come down at a time and patch them. that way players can just have toons on other servers to play on patch day. if a server has an issue leave it down and move to the next and let the repair team get the broken one fixed. if the patcher is broken then at least you don't contaminate the other servers with it and players can still log in (and spend $$) and not be nearly as pissed.
    Herf, Drexyll and Makta like this.
  11. Hardcore New Member

well, they can bring up one server and I'll check to make sure all is ok, MINE
  12. Gungnire New Member

Exactly how I feel. Came back after a 10+ year hiatus and this is my first impression of how the game has evolved since then. :(
    Herf and Donkeyninja like this.
  13. Ranor Lorekeeper

Let's face it this has been an ongoing issue the last few monthly updates where the servers have been down 10+ hours as opposed to the 6-8 announced. (We are already at 12+ now 6+ hours longer then expected or announced just for this update alone) I really believe it has to do with the layoffs that have occured at DBG because all of this nonsense started after they started laying off people.
    Makta likes this.
  14. complexication Kassina

It's a game that's nearly 20 years old and has thousands upon thousands of lines of code. For all we know it could have been the programmer hell of there not being a semicolon in a certain place which screwed everything else up, or it could be much more serious.

Sh*t happens. Anyone with any minute knowledge of computer and programming knows that.
  15. Makta Elder

Wow, I am back 3 days after a year away and nothing has changed for the better. DBG still has the bad habit of over promise and under deliver on patch days (not counting the breaking more important things than they tend to fix with said patches). I think what is most surprising and troubling is the lack of people complaining. It seems the player base can't even be bothered to complain about extended downtime. It's common sense that EQ, after nearly 2 decades could be in it's Twilight years...but this feels more like last legs than twilight.
  16. Shredd Augur

Rather it is fixed correctly and enjoy when the game is up. Rather than servers coming down to fix mistakes.
    moogs and complexication like this.
  17. Ranor Lorekeeper

Which is going to happen anyway. GUARANTEED!!!!!
    Makta likes this.
  18. Duckletter22 New Member

I don't even care if it's fixed at this point. Just give us an update of what the problem is and that it is being worked on... Not just f them lets keep working
    Makta likes this.
  19. Macten New Member

12 hours.... seriously...
  20. Duckletter22 New Member

Lol they just did an update
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.