[Coirnav] Help me pick a trio

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dobs, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Dobs Elder

Hey folks

Having trouble picking a trio, and i'd love some input.

• Enchanter / Cleric / Druid
    • Enchanter / Cleric / Wizard
    • Enchanter / Druid / Magician

or go the tank route

• Paladin / Shaman / Necromancer
    • Paladin / Enchanter / Druid

Not a fan of SK's or Monks. I'm leaning more toward Enchanter / Druid / Magician, but i dont know if i will miss the cleric.

Goal: Group stuff. Seb, Chardok etc. Regular exping. Longevity is a concern too. I'd like it to last GoD+ give or take

Thanks in advance.
  2. Lankie Augur

Go play WoW if solo playing is your thing.
  3. Dobs Elder

Despite the sheer forum-warrior quality of your comment, then I'll still take the effort to reply to your post.

It's me and my wife that are going to give Coirnav a try. I want to venture into boxing and she wants to play a single character. My concern is not getting a mismatch on the constalation, so that we'd struggle more than nessesary through content.

And my knowledge is not good enough to determine that. Hence the post

But thanks for taking the time, to give some quality feedback.
    Rhodz and Nolrog like this.
  4. Dahaman Augur

If you or your wife may ever play on occasion without each other, then making the solo and duo portion able to do things independently may be good.

Example - Wife: Magician (can solo and farm well), You: Enchanter, Cleric (good duo)

If you like to live cutting edge, then playing an enchanter with cleric can be exciting using charmed pets. The cleric portion would not need as much attention.

Since you are new to boxing, then I'd recommend something with a tank potential. This can help you slow things down a bit if needed.

Enchanter / Cleric / Magician (pet tank with cleric buffs) <-- all dark elf potential for starting area
    Paladin / Shaman / Necromancer <--- change paladin to SK and start all as iksars
    Paladin / Enchanter / Druid <-- all elf potentail

For quite a few expansions, having a source of extra mana regen (via enchanter, or necro/shaman pairing) can really help with the sheer amount you have to sit to get mana regen.
  5. Potawatomi Augur

If you're going to box a tank, box a warrior. Utilizing a paladin or an sk to their full potential takes attention and yours will be split across three toons.
  6. Raina Elder

If you want it to last in GoD and beyond, you're best off having a tank. That way you'll always be able to do something when you have the time, rather than having to look for a tank.

Charm pets can tank great in some expansions, but you won't always be able to charm your way to success.

The Enchanter/Druid/Paladin is a good combo in my opinion. The Paladin gives you a rez option, helps when charming (nice to have another reliable stun, and they can taunt obviously), and are solid tanks. The downfall of this grp is that it is kind of low dps when you cannot charm.

Sk/Sham/anything is always very strong. Sk/Sham is really the go to duo of EQ. I would personally go Sk/Sham/monk but you don't like monks, so idk, maybe a Wizard or druid for ports. You could even run a cleric with it for a reliable rez and easier healing, and let the sham dps. They can dps reasonably well.
  7. TLP Addict Augur

Paladin Druid Enchanter sounds pretty strong. One of the biggest downsides (besides lack of CH) to taking a Druid instead of a Cleric is lack of rez, Paladin mitigates that somewhat.

I'm currently running a Paladin/Druid duo because i only box two accounts, if i could I'd run an Enchanter or even bard as a 3rd just for some form of haste/slow and mana regen.
  8. Saolyene New Member

I have played paladin/druid/enchanter trio up to level 85 and it worked well as a trio. That was on Fippy, so still a TLP. You get tank, charm, snare, buffs, heals, track, forage, rezz, cc for a trade off that the DPS is not always that high especially if you can't charm. I prefer utility characters though.

This time around on Ragefire I went ranger/cleric/enchanter with better heals for the charm pet and best heals for a ranger who's often forced to tank. Works well enough in group content if the toons are well geared. Still get everything from the first trio except trading tankability with the paladin for dps of the ranger.

Taunt and snare are important skills to complement enchanter charming if you're running a three box with an enchanter in it.

PS: If you really want to go the mage route, their pets can taunt while you focus on druid for snare / heals for the enchanter.
  9. YouareWrong New Member

Dude, 3 box is always what is refered to from old-schoolers as: 'the holy trinity'

Cleric, chanter, tank (warrior)

That is the trinity, there is no discussion to be had.
  10. YouareWrong New Member

If you need more dps you ask 1 of the 40 dps in LFG to join you. simple
  11. Dobs Elder

So much terrific insight here.

Thanks a ton.

Have anyone tried a Pal/Dru/Bst trio? Looks decent on paper.
  12. Xhartor Augur

Is there a reason that you didn't enjoy playing the Monk or the SK?
    If your don't enjoy playing melee classes, then you won't enjoy the paladin.
  13. Dobs Elder

Main because that there's a ton of both around, and being a tank, I naturally want to be getting gear on him. Which will be harder with all the others around.
    From a tanking perspective, then I enjoy the defensive nature of paladin. I see how strong SK's are and how they bring more to a trio (in a group setting) than a paladin, but.. dunno. Can't deny the capability of sk/clr or sk/shm.

Also liked the notion of having hard CC around, in terms of a chanter.
  14. Chuuk Augur

Life is generally just so much easier with a druid porting you around - even post-PoK.

I personally lean more towards having a tank but that's only because I rarely get truly uninterrupted gameplay - which is a near requirement to play an enchanter with a charmed pet.

If you're going to roll a charm pet trio, the mage would be my choice for a third - ENCH / DRU / MAG. The mage pet can tank the mob when your charm pet breaks to help you out a bit. Also, if you don't feel like charming for some reason, you can still just use the mage pet as a tank and DPS with enchanter spells.

If you're tanking with a Paladin - definitely don't go PAL / ENCH / DRU unless you plan on charming. That will be an abysmally slow DPS group. PAL / SHM / NEC would be much better, although you lose the porting.

I personally love NEC / SHM as a duo - so throw in an actual tank and I think you have a solid trio that will last for a while.
  15. Dobs Elder

Reckon SK/SHM/NEC would do ok?
  16. monkypowah Elder

yes, you have tankage, slows/heals and some dps there and even some cc

that group will be much funner on phinny/agnarr and quicker to level up also.. just sayin. you might run into roadblocks on coirnav due to it only being on kunark which isnt a good expack
  17. Raltar Augur

While I think necromancers are cool, in the group game, mobs don't last long enough for dots to be meaningful. So you can tap, but that is pretty mana inefficient. Maybe replace the necro with literally any other DPS class. Since you've got a shaman in that trio, a melee would be ideal because shamans have some great ADPS for melee and not so much for casters.
  18. Rhodz Augur

Heard a new expression and think it applies...
    The BS flows here like lava from fissure 8.

Any Healer will work fine with a Chanter and Mag dont over worry it.
    As for a tank, only if it can be twinked
  19. Ronzark Augur

I started with 3 box and added a 4th, and I will verify that Riler is 100% correct. 4 toons is completely different setup than 3. With 3 i used Enc/Mag/Dru and was very effective thru Luclin. However, at PoP I changed the Dru to Clr and added another box (ranger). Then I replaced my mage (2ndary tank) with a Warrior.

So now I'm Enc/War/Rng/Clr and I can farm anything groupable, and even a bunch of past expansion Raid bosses with MoTM (pretty tough to do without a tank as you get the pet's agro as a chanter). And when charm breaks, the warrior has the agro on the mob I'm fighting, the cleric stuns my pet so I can re-tash, snare and re-charm it, and I keep on keeping on.

If you're gonna stick with 3, I'd highly recommend Enc/Mag/Dru. You have nearly every base covered. The only downside is after PoP the druid will struggle to keep up with healing a charmed pet vs. a cleric who will have little trouble. Cleric also offers rez and stuns for pet charm breaks. Very important when you lose charm in the middle of a boss fight.

If you go 4 box, I'd suggest one of the following:

Enc/War/Clr/Rng - Not a single base isn't covered here. Not much burst dps, but solid on all fronts. I'd choose ranger over wizzy for Tracking. If you don't have tracking, you will lose lots of potential loot to those who do.

SK/Bard/Sham/Wiz - Very effective group but no enchanter so dps takes a hit. And Bard tracking sucks, but at least it's something.
  20. Agonybot New Member

Enc/Clr can do almost anything in the game. Having a druid would probably be a very helpful (snare, dps, ports, heals, evac, PL a different 3rd character (ranger) when the druid is washed up after PoP).

It is irresponsible to do any kind of boxing without an Enchanter. For anyone to suggest not using an Enchanter is disingenuous and irresponsible. Enchanter is the gateway to all content and carrying even the worst players to the top.