Where the confustion lies.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mokumara, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Mokumara Elder

I've been back for a couple weeks now. My Shadow Knight is lvl 98. Been putting the UI back together to make it more fluent and smooth. But going though what seems like ENDLESS combat abilities and AA abilities. It honestly feels like I could have over 200 abilities on my bar and not know what the hell was going on. I've looked but it seems a lot of stuff is out dated. Is there a solid 5-10 abilities I should focus on to turn into a slaughter machine?

Thanks for the input!
  2. Mokumara Elder

And yes I misspelled confusion in the title and it is eating my soul alive! :mad: WTB deletion of post.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Actually I like it - combination of confusion and frustration. New word!
    Shanarias and moogs like this.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Not sure if it helps and I am far from an expert but check out my sk UI under the post here show me your UI. Basically I have abilities broken down into 4 color codes hotbars. Purely defensive, dps, agro, and things that add to procs. When I start a class I break out pen and paper and make categories like the ones listed and then read each ability description and note the timer so you can figure out what is the best ability within a shared timer and then place it in the correct column. When you are done that 200 should shrink significantly due to abilities sharing a timer and in most cases being the same ability but just upgrade after upgrade. Once you have your list arrange things in what seems like a logical order to use and then utilize the class section of the forums for advice on maybe a better order or how to pair things up.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  5. Mokumara Elder

Dude thank you. I did see your UI! That was my post! I loved that color coded scheme you had going on. I guess the best way to figure it out is trial and error. I just dont wanna overlook any abilities as things I SHOULD be using all the time.
  6. Evast Lorekeeper

As an SK, with Combat Abilities i like to separate them into their respective timers first.

1 - Rigor Mortis
    2 - Unholy Aura Disc
    3 - Leechcurse
    4 - Deflection disc

From this point on, we start getting multiple ones per timer, but they're all just upgrades of the same line (I.E. you'll have a damage absorb for timer 5 that upgrades at 54, 61, 63, 70, etc etc - usually go with the highest leveled one)

5 - these are all damage absorbs. Absorbs 25% of melee damage up to a total of 123,456 damage, or for X amount of time. For level 98, I think your closest one is your level 93 one: Recondite

6 - 100% focused aggro for 18 seconds - level 94: Undivided Acrimony (you get another one at 99)

9 - FD with a small HoT/endurance, small chance for a recourse to actually damage you a little - Level 95: Final Gasp

10 - Free charged up double strike that you can use every minute - Level 97: Gouging Blade

11 - Another damage absorb with a small DS - Level 98: Grelleths

12 - Triple attack that increases your melee power and spell power just a bit - level 95: Crimson Blade

13 - Increases the rate in which you recover endurance if you're below a certain percent - level 96: Rest

15 - Damage reduction for the next 2 incoming attacks - keep this up as often as it pops up - Level 98: Reprove

17 - Reduces your damage output as well reducing the damage you take by melee by 36%, also gives you a small lifetap here and there - Level 97: Unholy Guardian

19 - Triple attack that returns a percentage of damage as a group heal - Level 100: Reflexive Rancour

Yes it's a lot, but I have a hot bar set up specifically for defensive, burst , sustained, and aggro. And this is just Combat Abilities. This doesn't take into effect item effect, spells, or AAs.
    Treiln and Mokumara like this.
  7. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Check the Tanks sub-forum in the Class Discussion forum. Lots of current information, even on the very first page. If you haven't been playing since day 1, or if you don't have somebody holding your hand, EQ means research :)

This will get you started:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ing-disc-sets-rotation-for-sks-at-110.248612/

EDIT: I also just posted my UI in the thread that Aurastrider mentioned, and you are absolutely right about having 200+ abiliities! I use shift+# to scroll through another 10 hotbars, so there's probably another 100+ hotkeys that aren't even visible all the time. I think Rube Goldberg-esque complexity is the reason we love EQ :D
  8. Aurastrider Augur

Some trial and error but not as much as you might think. First think "what is my class role?" Class abilities are what separate each class. There are common themes you will notice as you research each ability. Once you know the themes for your class it's a matter of sorting the abilities. Once they are sorted there is some trial and error or you can read posts in the class section and get a good idea of what those who are masters of their class are doing. After that it's about key positioning, key binds and muscle memory. Utilize the combat dummy it's your friend. Move from the dummy to softer targets. Once you think everything is setup and functional how you like it move to something more challenging but not over the top. Fine tune as needed and once you think everything is good to go take on something meaningful. This is my approach and I am always trying to improve things.
    Mokumara likes this.