Spell drop rates in lower level zones

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by leessa, Jun 8, 2018.

1. leessa New Member

After farming gnolls and giants in the Steepes I have come to the conclusion that Rk2 spells are insanely rare.
    Assuming a 1% drop rate I went as far as to kill 100 gnolls. Not one spell dropped. I then killed one gnolls 100 times. Not one spell dropped.

What is the formula if not 1%
    Please increase the RK2 spell drop rate!
  2. MaxTheLion Augur

Not sure how EQ works their numbers but 1% chance does not = 1 out of 100 killed will drop it. It should mean each kill has a 1% chance of dropping it. Even if your odds are 50/50, it does not mean if you do the same thing twice you're guaranteed a different outcome.
  3. leessa New Member

One of the reasons for my post was to question the formula. average game module % is based off 1/100.
    Testing that theory made me seek for the answer.
    So to rephrase my question. If not 1% of 100 then what is the formula.
  4. Zapsos Augur

Most individual rk. II spells are 2-3 in a thousand, but most mobs have more than one spell on their drop table, so if they have 5 different spells they can drop it comes out to ~1%.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You need to remember that if an item has a 1% drop rate that means that each npc that can drop it has a 1% chance for it to drop. The drop rate is tied to each individual mob and not the population as a whole so if you kill 100 mobs you could get 0 or you could get a lot of drops all depending on your luck.
  6. Roxas MM Augur

if you want to test the theory, you need to kill at least 100000 gnolls, and see if you get roughly 100 spells. That's how chance works.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Running through there yesterday otw to FC, my invis dropped. I had to kill 3 gnolls, and I got 2 spells. I'd say drop rate is around 66%.
  8. Fibgirl Lorekeeper

Monk Math!
  9. Ryak Augur

I thought monk math was when the drop rate claims to be 2 or 3 percent, but is actually 9. 66 might be pretty hard to handle.
  10. malaki Augur

100 iterations at 1 percent gives you about a 37 percent chance of seeing no drops. Even at 250 iterations you're over 8 percent to see no spells.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Or just look at magelo, where players have pooled their resources to do exactly this.

One important tip: Not all spells drop from every type of gnoll. EG my wife just spent a lot of time farming Talisman of the Panther rk 2 from the gnolls. She remembered getting it at gnolls on previous servers. Turns out it only drops from the gnoll sharpshooters, at about 1/1000 rate (17 drops in about 14000 kills.) So if you are clearing the area where the sharpshooters don't spawn, you will never get it, and if you are clearing the areas where the sharpshooters do spawn, you have to kill about 3 gnolls for each sharpshooter (unless you can just pull out the sharpshooters), so you'd need to kill more like 4000 gnolls total for each copy of that particular spell.
  12. snailish Augur

Remember to check vendors.

While they should sell them in baz, some will just vendor these. (will happen more as they aren't current-era).

Exchanging amongst guildies for things like this can really help (so another reason to guild up if not already).