Someone please direct me.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by CJ Morrell, May 26, 2018.

1. CJ Morrell New Member

I tried playing EverQuest a good 10/12 years ago but due to various issues I couldn't do so. Today, it hit me that I never was able to get into it and decided to give it another shot. The problem is, I've never been much into computer games. I'm drawn more to Xbox and PlayStation. So, I'm sitting here reading these threads about servers and lots of numbers and strange names and I have no idea what any of it means.

Does anyone have any links or anything that could get me to understand at least a portion of this? I know it's going to be a while before I ever understand any of this. But I'm really interested in finally getting a chance to try this out.

And if anyone has any tips when starting out the game, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.
  2. moogs Augur

3. bigpapa Augur

4. CJ Morrell New Member

Thank you, both. I will check out all the links provided.
  5. Mokumara Elder

Reading info is never bad but I think your best bet will be to just download and jump in! Even if its just free version that will carry you for awhile while you get your baring's. Like it was said above get into the tutorial and read everything! That will get you to like lvl 10. If you start trying to figure out everything via link you might hit information overload there is just so much to read from all the xpacks. Never good. Just jump in and enjoy! If you are on Terris-Thule Prexus server hit up Tyraid or Mokumara I'll always lend a helping hand :) .
  6. bigpapa Augur

are you going to solo? or molo ( with a merc ) . every class can be ok at 1st with a tank merc ,who are very tough up to level 60? ( never tried one at these level ) . btw past that they begin to loose power a lot, and not really reliable in zones like ROS (ring of scale = new expansion ).

btw , I would start playing a class that can solo well at 1st ( for me it would be a mage ) , easy to play and mage pet will still be a decent tank at higher level ( much better than a merc tank later in the game ). <<< specially if you going to be free to play >>>

that would let you learn the basic of EQ and all. until you decide the class you would like to play , and a if you decide to go the boxing route later , a mage fit very well in there because you got.

if you are unsure of the server you want to play, I suggest firiona vie , permanent 50 % bonus, most of the items are tradable ( I helped a lot of new or returning players there ) with some items or platinum , to let them being able to buy spells or some armors ect.

,but if anyone decide to play in FV ( firiona vie ), they can't server transfer once there.

ps: I play in rathe server , but if I had to choose only one server to play it would be FV..
  7. Geroblue Augur

Tutorial, then Crescent Reach, and then Blight Fire Moors.

Any RED /con monster can wipe your character out. So can yellows and dark blue. If you have to learn which ones are tougher.

After you get the kobold skull charm in the tutorial, go to Arias, click on him and

/say I am rerady to leave.

Your character will be gated to Plane of Knowledge.

Ctrl-F and lok for Vivian the True. Do the familiarization quests she hands out, that will get you up a level. Maybe 2 with bonus xp this weekend. Just before you camp to exit the game, see if you can get any buffs. Temperance would be good.

Camp, go back into the tutorial and get the spider quests from the two rebel camp guards. The one where it says Group for the Quen spider, she is tough.
  8. slayerofbats Augur

Reading those links above will help but there is too much to even explain! I could type 5000 words just on what to do in the first hour of playing and even then it would leave you wondering many things.

This game is huge and quite complex, but you don't need to know most things at the start. The best way is to just play and start with the tutorial, take your time, learn the basics, and accept that you will always have questions. But you can figure things out as you progress and each time you play, you will learn several new things, and this will kind of never end. Even after playing 10 years you will still learn at least 1 new thing each time you play. The game is huge and has so much content but it means you never have to run out of interesting stuff to do. And it isn't filler either, there are thousands of really great things to experience, this is a game to play for many years.

I wish they would have improved the newbie experience because the game should at least do a better job of setting up the UI, controls, and graphics settings for new players. But it is an old game with a limited budget, so you really have to do it yourself. But I recommend spending the first half hour getting all your keys and settings and UI stuff working exactly how you want it and working comfortably for you. Then log out to save everything. Then you can start actually playing and figure out the mechanics as you go.
    moogs likes this.