newbiest newb noob

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Adelaide, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Adelaide New Member

i was told about EQ by my aunt who used to play back in the day after i started play world of Warcraft a few months ago. i got more and more interested in it after looking at screenshots and reading stories. I have a hard time keeping up with world of Warcraft and keeping track of people. when i meet people i never see them in the world again so my aunt told me she would get me EQ so i could try it and she wrote me a list of things from a youtube video made by cohhcarnage.

i decided to login in here and make a post just to say hello introduce myself and ask some questions

my name is Adelaide but everyone can call me addy. i was born on December 25th 2004 with broken ears and i have a cat and a biiiig imagination =D

so my mam and dad tested out the game for me to make sure everything is good on my potato computer and now i need to make my first character.

which server should i join? which race do you think i should pick as a newb and which class should i play?
    if there are any other deaf players here i was wondering is it hard to learn the game or is sound not very important?

thank you everyone =D

<3Addy<3
  2. moogs Augur

Welcome. Don't forget to post a photo - or better yet, a drawing - of your cat. Actually you could start a new thread just for pictures of cats. There are not enough of them here.

Most of us have come across at least a few deaf players. I usually play with the sound muted. It's not important and your gameplay ability will not be impacted. It's a very text-heavy game. As long as you have at least one good eye and one good hand, you'll be all right.

Pet classes are very newbie friendly and pretty fun to play. The main ones are Magician, Beastlord and Necromancer. They each have their own style, so maybe you'd like to read up on them or just jump in and try them out.

Most of the normal servers are not all that populated and it can be difficult for low level players to find groups. It's not impossible, but it takes a certain personality and a little bit of knowledge of how things work. You probably want to avoid Zek (player versus player) and Trakanon. They are very low population servers. My current server (Luclin-Stromm) has a lot of friendly people and so does my old server, Bristlebane. I can't speak from personal experience but there is a large, active guild called Lions of the Heart on Xegony server that takes in a lot of new and returning players and their guild leader is very active on these forums. Maybe ask your aunt which server she used to play on, if she even remembers.
  3. Adelaide New Member

lucky for you i love to draw =D i will probably share a lot of my drawings here if that's ok.
    i looked through servers lists and one is high population called coirnav and another is firiona vie(?) i think.

i did read some about necromancer and im pretty sure it will be my first class but are some races better then others for a new player?
  4. moogs Augur

Your race used to matter when it was a new game. It might still matter on a server like Coirnav. That one is a time locked progression server. Basically they are playing EQ sort of like it's a new game. It's much more active at low levels, but there are a lot of tradeoffs such as a lack of content and features, only being available to paying subscribers, and it takes a looooong time to level up compared to a normal server.

Anyway, on a normal server your race is 99% just a cosmetic choice. There are certain things like some starting cities will be unfriendly but the truth is nobody ever visits those places anymore. As a necromancer, some NPCs will be unfriendly...it's only a problem in the starting cities and only at low levels. There are some minor benefits, like dark elves can see better in the dark, trolls regenerate hitpoints faster, iksars have higher armor class, halflings get a +5% bonus to experience, and vah shir (cat people!) take less damage when they fall. Pick what you want and roll with it.

Firiona Vie and Brekt have a different rule set which makes it so you can trade almost everything. (On normal servers, you can't.) FV in particular has a very active community, but the free trading makes prices very expensive for new players.
  5. moogs Augur

It was great to be able to meet you on Luclin. Maybe I'll make a new character and we can group up this week. (Might as well make this an open invite to any other new and returning players.)

/friend moogs
    /who all friend
  6. Shanarias Augur

Cool! I have a low level toon on Luclin.
  7. Tiggold Augur

You being deaf shouldn't affect you adversely unless you plan to raid. I am finding it harder and harder to keep up as the expansions release. More guilds are using voice chat and most if not all the communication is through that.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. Old_Pepper New Member

Welcome aboard Addy. What class did you like to play in WoW and want to play again? I play both EQ and WoW. I suggest starting on one of the live servers so you go through the tutorial. Race is cosmetic so research more into what class interests you. I recently had friends move from WoW to EQ and this was how I helped them decide on what they are playing.

Do you like fighting with a weapon looking the monster in the eye - shadowknight or beastlord

Do you like nuking from a distance - mage

Do you like loading up damage over time spells and watching them rot - necromancer, druid, shaman

Maybe you like a little of everything - ranger or bard
  9. Treiln Augur

Hey Addy! Welcome to EQ!

Being deaf isn’t going to be an issue. I play EQ without any sound myself. Did the same in WoW. Only time I really had sound on was during raids when I used voice communications with my guild. I’ve had no issues :)

And speaking of playing WoW,, like Old_Pepper mentioned, if you’d like to tell us what class(es) you liked in WoW, we can help best relate that to EQ for you (I’ve played every class in WoW and almost every spec).
  10. Adelaide New Member

wow i got lots of replies! (puns) i played a priest in Warcraft so i thought about playing a cleric but i ended up making a human necromancer and i skipped tutorial at first and got to level 2 but after i realized moogs said not to skip it i joined it.

if its ok with everyone i can make a new thread somewhere to post my adventures =D im really enjoying the free feeling of this game i figured out the screenshot button since i was born in the catacombs so i take one when i find something interesting like a new area or person.

raids seem really fun. i would be lying if i said i wasn't a little worried that i might not get to do them =c
  11. Old_Pepper New Member

If you played a WoW shadow priest then you chose the right EQ class. Snare it, DoT it then Fear it and grab another. Feign Death is a lot of fun and you can a fun choice of pets.

One major difference between WoW and EQ is your casting ability is a skill to level up. Always work on keeping your casting skills maxxed. If you do not keep them up, you get a lot of fizzles. The casting skills are:
    Abjuration
    Alteration
    Conjuration
    Divination
    Evocation
  12. Adelaide New Member

those fizzles are funny =D
    i actually played a holy priest so i could save peoples lives
    i did look at the skills list last night but i will have to look again and see how they are doing.
  13. slayerofbats Augur

Hi Addy! Your aunt sounds great btw.

Playing without sound is fine, lots of people I know just turn it off because it is old and noisy and they rather watch TV or listen to music or something while playing. That said, I like the sound because it is a complex game and sometimes you are focused on something else (like reading chat or something), and then you hear GULPGULPGULP! which means your character is drowning :) Everything has visual signals too, but without hearing you gotta watch our for a lot of things on the screen. You can do it, but the game can be kind of intense sometimes! Depends on how you play though, soloing is actually kinda chilled most of the time, especially once you learn the game (which takes some time).

There are a few songs in the game that I truly adore, but mostly I can live without the music. If you ever discover a way of enjoying music somehow (the notes in braille or something?), you gotta check out the Kelethin tune. I did a quick google and there was talk about how deaf people can sometimes experience music through the vibrations. Have you ever looked into that? You don't need it of course, but sometimes this game can be intense, yet sometimes you can just sit in a misty forest with that harp music playing and it is one of the most relaxing and sensual things I've ever experienced in gaming!

Ok so which server. The "regular" servers are called "Live" which are the ones that have been around for ages. I like these ones, they are free to play, they have high level people you can talk to and group with if you get that far, but hardly any low level people to play with. Some people might not like this, but personally I like playing by myself because I can go away from my computer any time I want and I'm not letting anyone down, and it is basically more casual. But grouping with real people is a LOT of fun and you will likely struggle to do that on the Live servers unless you get lucky and find a guild of people who make new characters to play the lower levels again. Or you can wait until you get good and get to the high levels and then you have more grouping chances. But that could take a long time.

Another option are the progression servers or TLP servers. These ones are newer and have various specific rules like being locked at a certain old expansion or whatever. You also have to pay a subscription to play on them, but they are very popular and there are a lot of other players there. This means you will get to talk to people more often, and you will get to group up with people a lot more often. But the downside is that sometimes people will be in your way, and sometimes you might get in other peoples way. But it doesn't matter that much, so it is your choice.

The third option is to play P99 which isn't an official server, it is run by fans, but it is allowed by the company who owns the game. It is free to play, has quite a lot of players, has a quite good chance of grouping, and is generally pretty cool. Although the game is a bit harder because it lacks some things that modern (real EQ) has like an in game map.

As for race and class, start with the class. Melee characters (ones that mostly use weapons) are generally a bit simpler to play, the spell casters have quite a lot of depth and strategy to how they play. The game is kind of super easy or super complex depending on what you do though, and everything in between. For example if you play alone (especially with a mercenary helping you) and you just solo kill things and do quests, it can be really easy. Get in a group that goes to a dungeon or do a raid, or solo stuff that is really hard, and the game suddenly gets really challenging and very deep and tactical! It is amazing really all the different things you can do.

Once you pick your class, pick whichever race you like the look of that can be that class. The choice doesn't really matter, so just pick whichever you like the look of and then you can tweak their hair and face. Then I suggest the tutorial which teaches you a lot.

Personally I always suggest to new people to not get too excited to play right away. This is a big game. It is worth spending the first half hour just setting up all your keyboard options, and moving all the various windows and things around to get them in places that you like. I put them all on the edges of the screen so I can see the most amount of stuff in the middle. Then you right click to lock them. Change the keys to be WASD for moving, and put important stuff like Consider, Hail, and AutoAttack on nearby keys like Q, E, and F. Also it is worth getting the graphics to look as pretty as you can before your computer struggles, then lower a few things just to keep it smooth. Once it is set up and feels good to move around and looks good, focus on playing and enjoying yourself :) Post if you need any help and feel free to message me any time. Enjoy! It is a huge game, it can be a lot to learn and feel hard at first, but you learn things in time and it you fall in love with this game. I think most of us here did exactly that.
    moogs likes this.
  14. moogs Augur

EQ guilds have raided successfully for years and years and years without ever using voice chat or even audio triggers. My guild uses voice chat as an *optional* tool. I never join it. Some of the raid leaders use it to coordinate more quickly but they always turn around and communicate to the rest of the raid in written form like they should. I have never missed important information that caused us to fail an event.

Audio triggers are helpful, but they're an optional advanced feature. There is a 3rd party tool called GINA that a lot of people rely on. I don't use it. It can be used to make audio triggers but it can also be used to display a giant message right in the middle of your screen so you won't miss something important. Anyway, none of that is necessary to be effective regardless of what anyone else wants to believe.

Just have fun exploring, leveling up, and using fresh fish to bake batwing crunchies, focus on learning the basics of the game and later on if you decide that you want to try raiding I'm sure that anywhere you go someone will be very happy to work with you to help you participate fully.
  15. Adelaide New Member

thanks everyone! i was reading about custom UIs on the forums and my aunt said the ui changed a lot since the original game released (before any exp packs) and i was wondering if there is one you would recommend?

progression servers seem neat. those might be just the thing to get my aunt back into playing. i found out that she played PC servers tell 2003 and jumped over to the mac version but it stayed time locked in 2002 tell it was shut down i think 4 or 5 years back.

are some progression servers better then others? i mean if i played on one i would not have the same friends or guild though :x
  16. Adonhiram Augur

Bienvenue Adelaïde :) Enjoy the game !

The progressions servers are not better they are different, as each has specific rulesets. Some have all instanced content, some are more box friendly, some unlock expansions faster than others. It's a bit long to explain in a single post, you'll find more infos in the TLP sections of the forums - don't get fooled by the sometimes aggressive atmosphere on the forums there, there always have been forum warriors or trolls who like to play World War III. Actually most people are nice, be it on Lockjaw, Ragefire, Phinny or the other newer progression servers.

About interfaces, you can download customized UIs at www.eqinterface.com but you should first get a feeling about general game mechanics before worrying about the UI I think. However, to give you an example, I use Drakah's Default_Old UI for the old spell icons as I hate the new spell icons which just don't speak to me. You can check his work on the eqinterface website. Installing a new UI requires some attention though, ask you aunt to help you with that, EQ being an old game, it requires some manual unzipping in the right folders etc.

Happy hunting to you !
    moogs likes this.
  17. Aurastrider Augur

In terms of sound I keep mine turned off and have pretty much since day one. The only time I have ever had sound turned on was for the brief period when I raided and needed sound alerts for special events. If you are an exceptional player and at some point you wanted to raid and discussed your disability with a raid guild that could use your services I am sure they could make it work. I know I was in charge of spamming our guild chat channel with premade emotes directing people to duck, stand, move and so forth during some events. A great guild leader would make this work for you I imagine if they were in need of a skilled player just like any great leader in real life will take great people under their wings and work around what ever they need to because that person is an asset to their team.

In terms of servers I would avoid the TLP servers honestly. The community has embraced an outlaw type mentality and ditched the time honored play nice principals set in place many years ago. You still encounter some individuals on the live servers that disregard them but they are far from the norm. FV is an interesting choice due to its rule set and population. I would avoid Brekt due to it being a dumping ground for toons from an old event and its creation still makes me scratch my head. I would also avoid AB due to some technical issues the server has been experiencing related to hardware overseas or something to this effect (again nothing against the players across the pond you know I respect you guys). I would also avoid zek which is the pvp server and has experienced a rather low population and this game was never really designed for pvp which has lead to very little development in that area. The remaining servers are probably going to be hit and miss. You might have to server hop for a while until you find a server that has a guild you like with players that play during your usual playing time.

In terms of class suggestion I always suggest a pet class such as mage or necro when starting out or a healer class using a merc tank. Once you get a good feel for the game mechanics and feel comfortable with in game navigation and such you can make a class change. Consider your first toon as a test toon to just get your feet wet and get a feel for the game itself. Do the tutorial at least once if not a couple of times to learn about all of the great features available. Download maps online and become familiar with some of the useful sites such as a allahkzam, EQtraders, eqresources, raidloot.com, almars guides, fanra's wiki and I am sure I am missing others. For most things EQ related doing a simple google search: everquest (insert question) will provide decent results.

Lastly welcome to this wonderful world and I really hope you enjoy it here. This is an amazing game that when given a chance I think you will enjoy. Always ask the community questions if you are frustrated. We are here to help you because we really do want you to have a great experience and add to our amazing community.
    Grove likes this.
  18. Adelaide New Member

i did find the tradeskills place in pok last night and checked eqtraders this morning =D there is so much more detail in the trade skills with this game compared to Warcraft it blows my mind o.o

i have actually joined a guild on my server called dark dragon society i think it invite game on my first day and my necromancer is level 11 now but i have put serious thought into a enchanter or a cleric. i was grouped with someone named veshan in mines of gloomingdeep yesterday that told me necromancers aren't really wanted for raids and so even if i never raid i at least kind of want to be able to with my class.

for slayerofboats i actually LOVE music =D drums and bass are my fav for obvious reasons but i have a tiny sub woofer under my desk that i can put my bare feetsies on that really helps and my parents appreciate it because i don't end up ruining there ears by turning my music up too loud. though it is cool to be able to feel it in your torso its better then nothing. some songs make me laugh because my feet are ticklish >.>;

i have a old PS1 game called duke nukem that has a song that i really like here is a linky

the opening is like low low high medium low
    lol i tried to explain it xD im guessing its a bass or a weird drum but i really like it =D

if i do end up making a enchanter or cleric i might make a high elf but im not sure :x i might do mines of gloomingdeep again for the shinies as well

on another note i wish i could explain how mysterious and amazing this game seems to me =D
  19. slayerofbats Augur

Haha Duke 3d is a classic, one of the best games I ever played. That and EverQuest of course :p That is a nice song. You might also like hard rock or heavy metal because that has so much vibration from the guitars and bass and the drums are pounding. But yeah try to visit Kelethin (the Elf treetop village) in Greater Faydark and see if the music gives you the tinglies it does for me :)

Personally I would suggest sticking with Necromancer, that class is just so cool and is really powerful. I think all classes can get on raids, some are just a bit more in demand than others, but either way it is going to take you about 100 more levels until that point anyway which is probably going to be many many months, maybe even more than a year. So I think playing something you enjoy is the most important thing.

But you may even end up preferring the Ench or Cleric, I guess trying stuff out is the only way to know. Also once you find a character you want stay with, start working on building up some good stuff for them in the long term. Like one of the first items I always try to get is a good backpack. There are a few really big ones you can get early in the game and they make managing all the loot a lot easier. Enjoy :)
  20. Sabi New Member

Can I just say that y'all are genuinely such good people for being so friendly and inviting to this sweet newbie?! Welcome aboard Addy. I truly hope you enjoy your time playing. My advice to you, is to take time to really fall in love with the game and smell the roses. 9 out of 10 people will honestly have no issues helping you if you introduce yourself to them and tell them that you're a genuine newbie and have a desire to learn and have fun. There are many great and friendly people here in the world of Norrath, and also our red names on the forums (devs/paid employees/community standards personnel) love to see new blood come to the game and if you see them on the forums and ask them questions they will absolutely help you if they can.

I have played EQ since 2003 and have taken many breaks over the years to see and play other games. EverQuest pulls me back each time, there just is no place on the internet like Norrath!