Favorite EQ memories.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Finfan, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Finfan Augur

Do you have any favorite memories or hilarious moments from your EQ adventures? Two of mine both involve the Kelethin newbie yard. In one case I saw a gnome leading a rather impressive train of Orc Pawns toward the newbie lift. He ran up the ramp and across the lift just as it started rising taking some of the orcs with it. Shortly after somebody announced that the Orcs had invaded Kelethin so apparently they made it up to the Platforms. The second time my Ranger was much higher level but I was passing through the yard for some reason when somebody used the /yell to call for help. I saw a player running with three orc pawns in tow. Perfectly across me field of vision. I picked them off with my bow as he ran without the player knowing. It made me feel rather accomplished at the time. I thought the "Errr Thanks!" /ooc that followed was funny.
    Vinjiansai and Egat like this.
  2. Frinkle Yum'Chai New Member

Running through the South Karana in 1999-2000 and finding the aviok camp. Started a group and we all died. Doing the CR to there from Rivervale was rough lol.
    Vinjiansai, Nniki and Egat like this.
  3. Geroblue Augur

Went into Blightfire for the first time, right after it became available. I just zoomed around, look the place over. No map then, so I wanted to check the layout.

Decided I would just sit my character down by a tree and watch the mobs and other player characters go by.

The tree moved ! I jumped in my chair. It was a Treant sapling. I had accidently turned off monster names and hadn't realized it.

I started sweating and left the zone.
  4. bigpapa Augur

our first raid in plane of fear , we wiped at zone in( there was no lobby summon corpse at that time ) and we had to run back naked since the armors were all on the 1st corpse we had .... zone in had mobs attacking us while we were zoning back in.....

well it took us 16 hours to get our corpses back with many deaths, we had to ask another guild to help us to get our corpses back :rolleyes:
  5. McDougal Augur

Finally making it through blackburrow to get to qeynos with my barb shaman. Selling binds to raise money at the entrance (good money then). Still have a screenie somewhere. Second is putting my crappy armor in the bank and running nekid to freeport for spells lol. Lots of tries on that one.
    Vinjiansai and Egat like this.
  6. HoboElf New Member

I don't have any specific moments of doing something, but I still fondly remember all the amazing and nice people I met playing EQ. Occasionally resubbing back to EQ only to realize that nothing has changed. The community is still very friendly.
  7. Ovidius New Member

First time I had to run from Qeynos to Freeport with my Barbarian Shaman in 2000. Got chased by a Hill Giant in West Karana, got lost in Highpass, then got destroyed by Undead in Kithicor at night.
    I wasn't as smart as McDougal - I was wearing the crappy gear I had. CR's were an experience considering I had to run back from Qeynos the first few times.
    Vinjiansai likes this.
  8. Dilquan Augur

As a bored level 50, it was always fun to train the noobie log in Nek. The other fun activity was to train specs to the CT zone(before it was remade) and then train CT. (grin)
  9. Ovidius New Member

Also camping Trissa Whistlesong in Freeport with my DE Wiz, dodging freeport guards, and making continual trips across OOT doing the Tumpy Tonic Quest for experience. For awhile Tumpy Tonic turn-ins gave a LOT of experience. Spending half the day making them and then trying to do a transfer by dropping them under the docks and logging in another character. One time a half-day's worth of tumpy tonics just vanished and I just about lost my mind. I'm not sure Tumpy Irontoe is still in Kaladim anymore - but I'm pretty sure they got rid of the Tumpy Tonic quest.
  10. Treiln Augur

Back before shared banking, running into houses in South Qeynos and dropping items in a corner hidden from sight, logging out and logging into another character to pick it up. Praying you don’t ha e connection issues and disconnect and lose said items
    Meridian and Vinjiansai like this.
  11. Quatr Augur

The first few weeks in April-June 1999 were amazing. A living breathing world! Thankfully, I was still relatively young, so staying up late at night caused only moderate productivity issues at work :) I have lots of memories from subsequent years, but nothing compares to the first few weeks when it was a "world" rather than a "game".

I think the best memories I have are from playing my Monk. Because I had FD, I was much more willing to try dangerous things, especially back when rezes were uncertain and XP was hard to come by. Also, I have great memories of pulling on raids. I guess my greatest feat was single-pulling Doomshade to the zone line on the first try.

Later on, when we had mercs, I soloed a bunch of zones and named mobs which were challenging at the time. My gear wasn't particularly good and Monks' mitigation sucks, so my HP fluctuated wildly, making it memorable.
  12. Jarhoul New Member

I remember doing the same. The worry that our corpses and gear were going to disappear!

I remember camping Guk with friends and there used to be a chap that used to trade our copper/silver/gold for plat (taking a % of course). I think he did fairly well as those used to be some long camps by a few groups back then.
  13. Kolani Augur

Doomshade, pfft. Professional monks bring Venril Sathir to zonein.
  14. Skeetari Lorekeeper

I started right before Luclin cane out. Didn’t get the expansion right away so was stuck in original, Kunark, and Velious. Had a druid, think that was my fondest memories. Root/dot killing hill giants for plat. Quad kiting in Eastern Wastes. The game seemed so huge then.

Fast forward to GoD era, my guild was attempting to break into elementals, but we had skipped VT. This of course was very difficult to pull off. RZtW was our thorn. When we finally beat it people were yelling and cheering. Had same experience when we finally beat Coirnav. Had about 120 people in zone, and I was on dial up. I crashed at some point but interestingly the chat channels didn’t lag, so I could see people saying we beat it, meanwhile I was still fighting mobs and had died at some point. Regularly I would die but only know because someone would say it in chat, while on my screen I was 5 minutes behind, then disconnect.

As far as a specific event, I remember my first time in Crushbone. Another druid in the group, probably realizing my newbie ways, cast invis on the entire group except for me. I ran around looking for everyone and was very confused. They laughed and told me about invisibility. I had no idea that was a thing.
    Nniki likes this.
  15. Eggolas Augur

Two come to mind:

Started in 2000 with a dwarf paladin and someone handed me a Ghoulbane.

Unrest . . . train to zone! Terrifyingly fun.
    greymittens likes this.
  16. greymittens New Member

I think the first time I saw a giant around the plains of Karana - Froon or Choon? I forget which but I'm pretty sure I died. I have a lot of fond memories from EQ back then. That is one of the reasons I am back on the forums as I am now toying with the idea of creating an account again. I might just read the forums and live through you guys though :)
  17. Shanarias Augur

I remember my first toon being a Human Bard, outside Freeport, with absolutely no clue, in the very early days of Everquest. I started playing at 7:29 PM, and when I looked up, it was 2:30 AM, and I had to be at work by 9. Fortunately, I was the lead tech in a computer store, and they understood, when I told them I may be "less than optimum today". I went to bed at level 11. I got addicted to the <DING> sound!
  18. Azbaelus Lorekeeper

Barely an hour old, my first ever mmorpg, no idea what I was doing, my baby bard zooted into...East Commonlands? Hey, no one told me the difference between pc and npc...I hailed Dragoon Zytl. Not quite a one-shot but close.
    Nniki likes this.
  19. moogs Augur

As a newbie halfling I ventured out of Misty Thicket for the first time into the gorge. An evil eye cast blindness on me. The screen was completely black but I still could hear the audio of my ranger doing what rangers do best. I assumed that my video card had failed so I did a hard shutdown of my PC and just sat alone in the dark for the rest of the evening. FML.
    Shanarias, Quatr and Nniki like this.
  20. Flatchy Court Jester

One of my favorite memories was when I was working on the eyepatch of plunder quest waiting for Lodizal to pop. Been after him for quite some time and id just hang out on the beach fishing. Some of my guildees came and hung out for the heck of it. Couple days of this and one night Lodi actually pops. Me being SK and leader o this mess i grab aggro and tanked away. We killed it and they all grats'd me, then they all started ribbing me cuz I was tanking the turtle with my fishing pole in hand the whole time.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and moogs like this.