The real cost of DKP and the items you spend it on

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Evenstar Lorekeeper

Apparently you need to earn at least $42/hour to do math and still be wrong. TIL.

Lankie's explanation makes way more sense and avoids being a sad humblebrag. Good job!
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Wow my last elemental gauntlet cost me $37,509!
  3. GNOME_POWER Augur

Is your DKP the same as my DKP?
    I once had one Daybreak Krono Point!
    /disc pizza!
  4. mornroc New Member

Welcome to what has become of EQ, unfortunately. The TLP servers these days are a pretty bad trollfest.

Anyway, I personally thought your post was an interesting thought experiment in figuring out how much of our lives we spend in game and if you equated that to earning power how much the game is really 'costing you'. Of course as the first troll pointed out, I suppose the same could be said of any leisure activity. If you liked golf for example, 18 holes would typically set you back four hours worth of time.
    Risiko likes this.
  5. Machentoo Augur

How much did this forum post cost you?
  6. Trevalon Augur

Well, technically everything does indeed have a cost. Its called opportunity cost and its a big part of economics.

So, yes, this thread is dumb on many levels, but TECHNICALLY he is correct that playing EQ does COST you something, what that is is different for each person, but there is a cost involved.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  7. Machentoo Augur

I'm aware of opportunity cost and how it works.

Of course part of that discussion is that if too much leisure is sacrificed (including sleep) so that opportunity isn't missed, productivity goes down. Very few can work at a high level with no breaks and no leisure consistently. People tend to burn out, and then you may start missing career advancement or other earning opportunities. So, sometimes working more can have a higher opportunity cost than taking a break and unwinding on Everquest. Or, another way to think of it, that raid item you just spent 75 dkp on may actually help earn you more money during your financially productive portion of the day!
  8. Bewts Augur

You would be better of counting the hours you invested and measuring how many hours of raiding you needed to obtain item X. For example, I get 4 DKP an hour. So that 75 DKP item costs me 18.75 hours of raiding to purchase one item.

As one famous personality once said, “It’s all Monopoly money; who cares”
    Risiko and Kragin like this.
  9. jeskola pheerie

clealy risiko alt
  10. Finnster Elder

to the original poster: Have you noticed that when you go to the movies, and the movie lasts 2 hours, then you don't get paid $90 for the time you spent there although it would be the proper payment for your time?
    Fhiele likes this.
  11. Anastas New Member

Hot d*mn you guys are joyless. But I've got to agree OP's post was beyond dumb so...everybody loses.
  12. Xanadas Augur

I play during off-hours in which I don't expect my time to be monetized like I do 9-5 M-F.
  13. Risiko Augur

It also equates to 88k a year.
  14. Risiko Augur

That's a good way to look at it. This is the kind of discussion I was looking for. Clearly I screwed up by using my income instead of just an arbitrary number. I didn't realize people would get so butt hurt over me using my income in the example.
  15. Risiko Augur

That's all it was intended to be; a discussion about the time we put in to obtaining items in game.

I chose to use my income in the example, and clearly that was a mistake. I honestly didn't realize people would be all up in arms over it. Hind sight twenty twenty, I SHOULD have used some nice round number for the example, but who knew that people would go all bat crap crazy over it. I mean literally, it was like Thread begins, and immediately takes a right turn down hate lane.
  16. Risiko Augur

Take your tin foil hat off, I don't post under alt accounts. If you've been around here long enough, you should know that considering how much crap I take from haters on the forums for simply speaking my mind. If I posted on alts, I would have swapped to another one of my accounts years ago.

The point is, I don't care that haters follow me around on the forums. I just put them on ignore, and continue on. In this day and age, the haters and trolls are going to be there no matter what you do, so you have to grow a thick skin to deal with them. They don't phase me.
  17. Aegir Augur

This is EQ TLP forums. People get butt hurt over people being butt hurt about a dev fixing stuff for a butt hurt player encountered with a butt hurt boxer.
    Risiko likes this.
  18. Risiko Augur

Careful. You didn't attack me, so someone will be along shortly to accuse you of being my alt lol.
  19. Fhiele Augur

I'd say drop the money part of it, and its still useful to consider.

I paid 80DKP for Armguards of the Brute http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=22749

I do not get a flat hourly rate of DKP so its hard to say for sure. I guess its about 8 hours a week, 3 hours W, 3 hours F, and 2 hours Su(I join late)

I earned 185.5 DKP in 60 days of PoP. That averages out to about 3 per hour.

So I spent about 26 hours of raiding to get the Armguards.

In kunark, the loot was all so , I did stop and think "I shouldn't be raiding. its a waste of time. These hours in Seb or HS would net me much better returns." Especially when they raided Nagafen and Vox endlessly for gear I'd never get or use. But since my DKP didn't decay, it did help me buy nice stuff later. Since Velious, the raid gear has really been supreme over anything group content can provide.

Once you take away all the gear and points, and ask "How am I spending my time? Do I enjoy it?" I think you can just stop there. If you're having fun, keep at it, and if not, do something else. Either change playstyle or change games.
    Risiko likes this.
  20. Raina Elder

The only way this argument would make sense is if you had a choice between playing EQ for an hour, or working for an hour. Most people play EQ in their free time, and if they were not playing EQ, would not be earning their "hourly wage", as they wouldn't have that option.

If you'd like to make an interesting thread you should have made it based on your time.

If you earn 10 dkp/hour, and you spend 500 dkp on an item, you have just spent 50 hours of your time in exchange for that item.
    Aneia likes this.