Downsizing 4 box to 3. Who to drop

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Patpatpat, May 31, 2018.

1. Patpatpat New Member

Hey guys as I’m starting to dip my toes in the water of beyond classic zones I realize I need to play my boxes more efficiently. I had a rude awakening last night in wall of slaughter. So my group right now are mid 60s warrior, Druid, mage and enchanter all ftp with a Merc cleric and Merc tank. If you had to drop one of these toons and replace with a Merc which would you lose? I primarily have been dungeon crawling up to this point and would like to continue to go do but sounds like might be best to pause and spend a few sessions gettingsome aas to keep characters strong enough. Thanks
  2. Dewey Augur

Drop the war.
  3. Sagarmatha Augur

DO NOT DROP THE WARRIOR. If you intend to play for the long haul, your real tank will be your best friend. Search these very forums, and you'll see that the tank merc doesn't get much love past level 60.

Your question is a difficult one, but drop the Mage (I say this as an eight year raiding Mage). I can not emphasize enough the importance of snare, and back up (HOT KEY) heals readily available for a box group. Your Enchanter is a no brainer; possibly the most useful, unique class in the game.

I play three toons, three mercs when I'm not playing with my guild. It makes a nice group. Mine is Shadowknight, Shaman, Enchanter, with J5 healer on the SK and two caster DPS mercs. So far, there's been little I couldn't handle. Granted, I've been tweaking macros forever.

I do think about having a Warrior, but I would certainly miss the snare and pulling ability. I rarely have to use my Shamans healing, which doesn't lend value to your Druid, but I bet I could get a lot out of a new configuration with a Warrior and Druid in the mix. Never, EVER drop an Enchanter.

Good luck, adventurer! #threetoonsthreemercs
  4. Fantomah Journeyman

I have a paladin and a druid and a Wizard, but I die a lot (my paladin) what do you sugest? I even had three healers at one point, and my pally still died.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

If you are intent on keeping the accounts free-to-play, I concur with the first reply: the warrior will be dead weight.

Free-to-play tanks should be prohibited just out of respect for people's sanity.
    Quatr and moogs like this.
  6. Treiln Augur

I’d say drop the Mage as well. I box an SK / Chanter / Mage, and having a real tank makes a world of difference.

Warrior: your tank and main focus
    Druid: QoL character. Will make traveling with your box set up easier. Plus back up heals and decent DPS
    Chanter: CC galore and also decent DPS

This is how I’d do it personally. If you’re having a hard time, I’d drop the Druid and pick up the Mage. Pet may be better ina F2P scenario
    Kedra Leafwalker likes this.
  7. Vaeeldar Augur

I'm completely confused by those saying drop the mage. I box more than I want to think about, in fact I'm sitting on quite a few box team setups but I have: sk, pal, necro, mage, shaman, druid, wiz 3, mage 3, 2 ench, bard, cleric - all 110 level.

The multiple wizzy/mage are recent additions although I always had 2. The reality is you can't remove the tank, not if you want to box long term and you shouldn't remove the ench.

WIth that being said you have a druid (honestly useless in my opinion as a box) or the mage. From a quality of life perspective CoTH is your friend when boxing. I'd vote keep the mage everytime for quality of life and back-up tank.

If you keep the druid I'd vote to switch to a wiz. I don't even know what to do with the druid and just have one because it was the last caster I didn't have.

Personally I'd vote to keep 4 boxing as it's not that difficult with right heroes. Your likely better off optimizing your setup than dropping a hero especially in later levels. (although my 5/6box runs off of 2 pcs to be fair).

OP why do you think you need to drop a box?
  8. Kedra Leafwalker Lorekeeper

Well, as a 3boxer myself i run a DRU/SHM/NEC.

Of the 4 your are running I would recommend you drop the mage. Yes call of the hero is nice, but teleport to bind as an AA is my opinion much better, unless in a zone where you can not bind, and then you still have the mage to coth if they are kept up to pace from time to time in lvl.

I would also like to know why you think you need to drop a box?

I myself am waiting on the account to account transfers to be re-established so I can move my enchanter and warrior to their own account so I can go back to my 5 headed hydra.

Kedra Leafwalker - 110 Level Druid
    Erollisi Marr Server Currently
    Orrigonally from the Old Inny Server
    Co-Guildleader/Founder - Fellowship of Justice.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

I would like to propose as an alternative that you reconsider dropping a toon, and look at IS Boxer to help you get the most out of your toons instead. Mercs later on become a lot weaker.
    Aurastrider and code-zero like this.
  10. Patpatpat New Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

So I want to drop one because 4 has become too much especially as content is becoming harder. Too many buttons to push, too much equipment and spells to buy or worry about, too many classes to learn how to play. It was just too much going on and when the fights got harder I suck even more. I just started playing a few weeks ago after not playing since like Kunark? Anyways just a lot going on need to simplify a bit for my poor little newbie brain. So last night I tried both war enc mage and war enc Druid. With the mage in group we def tore through stuff faster but there was no backup cures when Croashna the cowardly cleric decided to go on break or stand in the corner and stare at the wall. The porting has been useful but really not as much as I had thought with pok stones travel isn’t as cumbersome as I had remembered. There has been several times when coth on the mage has been absolutely indispensable - ie I could not get my group up the ramps in velks total cluster f.

I read a little about the third party software for boxing but honestly I’m not interested at all in that. I don’t want to have to figure it all out yet. Maybe as I get more serious I will try it out.
  11. Outlander Engine Elder

Give Enchanter / Mage / Druid a try. It's considered one of the strongest trio's. I've got an alt group up to level 80, and it's been a lot of fun. If I was more into playing caster's it would be my main.

Enchanter's mean tanking one at a time, with tash's, slows, and cripples.
    The Mage brings a tank, pet toys, malo and can use fire and magic nukes.
    The Druid attack debuff line comes with a fire debuff. They also provide snares, 'ports, backup heals and good dps.
    At later levels, the druids big damage shield and the mages big damage shield lines stack.

With a few macro's, it can also be one of the lowest key-presses per minute trio's as well.

The caveat is that you need to learn to use the enchanter. Mage pets do not play well with multiples. I have learned to crowd control like a champ with my enchanter box.

The mid 60's is hard for any group. In the late 70's it gets easier as you get more toys to play with.

War/dru/enc is arguably a more powerful trio, simply because a true tank makes all things easier. That doesn't mean a mage tank can't do it, it just means you'll have to be canny and careful.

Play what you enjoy.
    moogs likes this.
  12. Outlander Engine Elder

One other thing. Hit Goodwill, craigslist or any other used computer equipment store and look for a pair of 19" monitors. I paid $25 each for a pair of nice Dell's. I have a 24" wide screen as my center monitor, with one 19" on each side. Makes playing 3 accounts much easier.
  13. Vaeeldar Augur

If he doesn't plan on going to end game than I agree Mage would be ok. If he does, I wouldn't recommend it and I have a raid level focus for my mage. It's frankly not fun/easy to use the mage pet as a primary tank, and while it can survive a named in RoS it's not near as effective as a the tank.

Also to the OP are you using macros on the spell casters? I'd wage you are pressing spells individually on your last post and I'd say that's likely half the reason you are struggling - the reality is each of the casters should probably only need 1 or 2 clicks per fight for each of them.
    Quatr, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and moogs like this.
  14. Outlander Engine Elder

I think we agree. I'd like to point out that all his accounts are free to play. Makes the calculus on the warrior a little more dicey because they are so gear dependent.

It also explains a few of his troubles. I'd at least pay for one month on one account and take the free AA grant. Either the warrior or the mage, whichever you decide is going to provide your tank.
    Quatr and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Not to be debbie downer, but I suspect the troubles you are having might also be related the AAs you can't get because you are F2P. I'm sure that will become the biggest issue as you continue to level. F2P is very handicapped after level 60-ish.

As others have suggested, I think I S Boxer is a must! I think you are wise to shrink your crew if you are alt-tabbing :)
  16. Nolrog Augur

So many variables here. Free to play or subscription? How many AAs? All defensive AAs bought for your level? What gear do you have? Are all your augment slots filled with AC augs? What content are you doing relative to your level? Merc healers? What rank? What stance?
  17. Vaeeldar Augur

Yeah I'll recant what I said if it's only free to play and no long term play. If FTP you can't go tank.
  18. Patpatpat New Member

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I transferred over to test and did auto grant for aas and all my problems seem to be gone. I guess test server has a few problems I’ll probably run into later but for now seems like a worthwhile move. Overall a very welcoming group of people rocking out on test.My characters instantly became 2-3 times more powerful. My group setup at the moment doesn’t seem to really matter nearly as much and the j1 mercenaries are super reliable compared to apprentice 2.
  19. Vaeeldar Augur

Yeah you always want to go with the journeymen mercs. The good news about test is you'll find plenty of gear given away. Should be a good spot for you.
  20. Outlander Engine Elder

Really need more info. What level, where are you fighting,and whats the basics of what you are doing?

Might want to start a new thread and let us know. PAL shouldn't be dying easily.