Laptop problem playing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Gorthashaug, May 29, 2018.

1. Gorthashaug New Member

I downloaded EQ on to my laptop (Ienovo Thinkpad T430) and can get as far as the server select screen before it crashes to client. What might cause this?
  2. moogs Augur

Operating system?
  3. Byzah New Member

Usually means gfx card as the next screen is character selection, which fires up Direct X to display a player model (even if you didn't make one yet).

Try running dxdiag (Start > Run > dxdiag) or other 3D games. Event log may also have something.

Also, if you have a discrete GPU (e.g. GeForce GTX), try running with integrated Intel graphics (on my laptop, I do this by right-clicking on the EQ shortcut). You'll probably need to go to nVidia Settings to set this option up.

My craptop won't run EQ via its GeForce chip, but plays fine with Intel (it's an old game).
  4. svann Augur

Do a full file check:
    1. in the bottom left corner of the launcher, click Version: Live
    2. Select validate game assets, then the green validate button

There is also a file dbg.txt that logs errors and other info, but idk if you can really decipher much from that. Worth a look though.
  5. Derd Augur

Dx9.0c installed?
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

It does not have a dedicated GPU it only has the Intel, which the resolution is either (1366 x 768) or (1600 x 900).

Each step of the screens are different resolutions. It is possible the game's default full screen resolution can not be handled by the notebook when moving to Character Selection (right after Server Selection).

If 1366x768 change your desktop resolution to 1280x768.

Delete the eqclient.ini. Load launchpad but do not hit Play. Lower left corner click on the gears then Game Configuration. Run through it and select 1280x768 resolution then click on Finish. Now hit Play.

Once you are in game then change the game's resolution via ALT-O, Display and got windowed mode. Or if you still can not get in, close out of everything, open up eqclient.ini w/notepad and look for the following WindowedMode=FALSE and change it to true. If it does not exist then add WindowedMode=TRUE.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.