Video card problem

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Khur Sed, May 13, 2018.

1. Khur Sed New Member

I'm logging on my laptop, and had for the past 2 years, and today I get a message that my video card is not good enough? Anyone else have this problem?
  2. moogs Augur

What is the actual error message?
  3. StormsBringer New Member

I am having the same exact issue on my laptop. Error is: Your graphics card is not capable enough for this game. Which is a joke, the card in my laptop is a NVIDIA 1080 and it use to work just fine. Can someone from Daybreak please reply with any known issues with the 1080 that have recently surfaced due to a patch ?? Anyone else have this issue and were able to resolve it ?
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Recent Windows update or driver update that is causing EQ to use the Intel GPU instead of the Nvidia GPU? Which OS is this on?
  5. StormsBringer New Member

Windows 10 64-bit, sounds like the problem but I am not sure how I can fix it. Error was happening before I updated he Nvidia driver but it did patch windows?
  6. moogs Augur

Go to your Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, and set the Nvidia GPU as the device used for eqgame.exe.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I get that message sometimes and just hit retry and it goes away. 980 GTX Ti card.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

This is very outdated knowledge, but way back AMD and Nvidia did not natively support switchable graphics, you had you use the driver set from the manufacturer. If you used the drivers direct from AMD or Nvidia you essentially lost access to the GPU. Are you using your manufacturer driver update? Anyone know if switchable graphics are supported native nowadays?
  9. complexication Kassina

Funny, it says a 1080 isn't good enough but I use an an ancient (by tech terms anyway) video card and have never recieved that error message. Huh. Weird.

Anyway...

My only suggestion is perhaps checking your video card driver to see if a windows update messed with it, and then rollback/reinstall driver as needed.
  10. StormsBringer New Member

Patched windows, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, checked all the other stuff tech support asked me to check and still get this error. However, when uninstalled the driver and just ran with the crappy M$ Render display driver, EQ was happy and would start. There must be something going on with this new driver and windows 10, or the driver and EQ. Hitting RETRY over and over doesnt work, kind of stuck until DB figures out what is broke with their client and the 1080..sigh
  11. xxGriff Augur

This is a nVidia Optimus and Windows 10 issue. EQ will use the GPU as indicated by Windows (specifically DX). you must have the June 2010 Direct X re-distribution package (around 96mb download from Microsoft) as these were the latest/last to Direct X 9c and not included in ANY Windows OS. The later (iirc the Kepler>) GPU's from nVidia use what is basically emulation for DX9 and earlier DX , these files from the DX9x June 2010 are needed. Then there is "Optimus" for nVidia mobile GPU's. switching between Intel's on CPU graphics and a discreet nVidia GPU. you can set which applications will use nVidia using the nVidia control Panel, you can either do this Globally or by Program. The last Windows 10 Update has caused problems for many. Ranging from loss of Tab support (running 2+ clients) to inability to run older DX games at all, and Stability issues. I have 2 Dell M6600 laptops, one with nVidia and another with AMD/ATI, and had to roll back, and disable updates until the issue with nVidia were fixed. My Dell M6600 uses a Quadro 3000M 2gb GPU along with Intel HD 3000 (Optimus) and I have set Both Globally and by program to use the nVidia for DX/3D as well as PhysX, and performance is set to Max or Constant rather than Adaptive. There have been issues with the nVidia 1000's series and EQ since the GPU's were introduced (some 900's GPU's as well) and there are many guides and resources online. Best of luck, I hope this and the other useful posts here help fix the problems some are having. BTW Optimus CANNOT be disabled on most if not ALL laptops. on desktops Disable Intel onboard GPU in your BIOS setup.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is really interesting.

So, you are saying that once you install June 2010 DirectX, and set Optimus to run explicitly run EverQuest, this solves the issue on nVidia-based laptops? Or do those affected also need to roll back the Win10 update?

Do you know which specific Windows 10 update breaks this functionality?
  13. McDougal Augur

Intel GPU should work fine actually so not that.
    Havanap likes this.
  14. xxGriff Augur

No, what I am saying is, you can and should set your nVidia GPU as preferred rendering device per application in nVidia control panel. Windows updates are also key in that you can disable driver updates for devices. DX needs to be patched to last as a matter of course for any system. the 10x0's series have had issues with EQ since they were intro'd (900 series had some issues as well) but it is not s simple one fix for all, on laptops, Optimus is a pita, while it does save battery using intel/onboard for everyday display, it becomes a hassle for gaming. as always it is a mix of issues, but addressing any Optimus/DX 9c issues helps resolving other issues as they occur. you can also google how to set windows 10 to notify you of updates and not auto install, allowing you to look them over before it is done automatically. I personally prefer a simple dedicated GPU solution for my laptops, so i use ATI/AMD GPU's, but i understand there are many nVidia users, and that is why I posted about Optimus. and on an Optimus equipt system, EQ will always show your intel/on board GPU as being used despite what you force, set or are actually using for DX/3d and rendering.
  15. Havanap Elder

I'm not saying that the problem is unrelated to the current GPU, rather that either of the GPUs listed is sufficient to run EQ and won't produce that error message by itself. I have run EQ successfully on crappy internal Intel GPU chipsets on bad laptops. So, you might need to look in another direction for a solution.
  16. xxGriff Augur

in addressing known issues with Optimus/nVidia, you can then move on to other possibilities is what i was getting at. the latest windows 10 update has caused probs with many, so if your GPU/Video is set and not an issue (along with DX9c being 2010 June redist), then rollback the windows 10 update to test and see if that corrects the issue. this is one reason I only have fast ring on my test system, so i can see what changes/fixes and yes, breaks before I roll out to other systems.