Falling krono prices

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mulleteer, May 22, 2018.

1. blood & gufts Augur

Personally I find them to be a good thing for the game, it allows people who has no credit Card to game.

With that I mean, you have a friend who also play EQ, he/she can buy the kronos for you, and give them to you in the game, and you pay him in rl.

And anything that helps keeping EQ alive, makes me happy
  2. Millianna Augur

There’s no need for them in game. You can go buy a visa gift card. If you’re not old enough, have mommy go buy 1.
  3. Millianna Augur

If you want then left in the game, they they should be bound to the character after first trade.
  4. Riou EQResource

Krono are worth RL Money
  5. svann Augur

You can relate kronos to gambling with lazy thinking, but not in any logical argument that would stand up in a court of law - which is what would need to happen for them to be outlawed.

"Your honor, we mean to make the case that kronos are like gambling because - you can cash them out"
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Krono farming is epeening. It is not "earning money". Nobody is buying food or paying their rent by farming kronos. That is so silly.
  7. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Kronos are just currency conversion media ($ to kronos to in-game goods/plat), which let's DBG leverage their monopoly (which they ensure by outlawing any transaction that takes place outside of the game or kronos).

All value in kronos will be literally erased from all books when DBG shuts down the games that use them (EQ and EQ2, anything else?). There will be no refunds. They are, and have always been, free money for DBG.
  8. code-zero Augur

A Krono gets 30 days of All Access membership. That includes EQ, EQ2, Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online.

I've been told but can't confirm that more than a little of the Krono farming goes to support people who's main game isn't EQ at all.

Anyway there's another reason that prices may have dropped and that's the Krono sale that they had recently which put 30 days at a very nice price. Instead of being the most expensive sub it was second to the least expensive. Very likely that caused a glut of new Krono that drove down prices
  9. Aamonn_Erollisi New Member

Yes, that was precisely my point. So then why are so many unloading them for in-game plat? Maybe they're selling their plat for RL money? That would make more sense but Kronos are far easier to sell for RL money.
  10. svann Augur

People have always sold kronos for plat. Thats kind of the point of them. And as far as "unloading" afaict the price has been astoundingly stable. On Bristle the price of a krono has been flatter than anything else that is bought and sold.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Or maybe if you don't like them avoid them. RMT people will be here with or without kronos. Any arguement to remove them or limit there use is silly and ignorant. As long as there is something for someone to make RL money on someone will find a way. Your ideas just impact the players who use them as intended and have zero interest in the RMT world.
    code-zero and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  12. Horyuken Augur

So consider this friends. Jeff makes 400 dollars and hour working. It might take Jeff 10 hours to farm a chase loot, in that time he can make 4000 dollars. It makes more sense for Jeff to buy 10 Krono for 150 bucks and get the chase loot he wants. The same goes for platinum used in trade skills or to buy stuff on the progression servers.

When Jeff has all the plat he wants and chase loots he needs he wont buy anymore. Same for progression servers as they plateau people will not buy platinum because it is just as easy to farm it.

This isn't a new concept.

Best thing you can do now is buy as much as you can at sub 1.5 mill prices and when the next expansion is announced and we get new chase loots and trade skills you can clean up.
  13. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I agree with most of your statement, I just want to clarify this last part. Because I believe that Kronos were always intended to be used as a way for DBG to collect a cut of the RMT market. There was never any other business reason to implement them the way they did (making them tradeable in-game and charging more than a 30-day subscription).

The only reason that the in-game (plat) value of kronos would drop, or even stagnate, is because the demand for them is waning. In a healthy economy, with a healthy population, the plat value of kronos would always rise.

The only reason for demand to be waning, that I can think of, is that fewer people are playing the game. Personally, I ran out of interest after running through the last several expansions' entire progressions multiple times on multiple characters, and I'm sure lots of others are in my position. And the non-server Coirnav, which meant that there is nothing to keep me interested until the next expac comes out.

If there isn't anybody farming plat or other in-game items, then kronos serve no purpose and will continue to lose their worth.
  14. Riou EQResource

They aren't

Some of the people who were buying with Platinum -> sell for RL Money, seemed to have slowed down because they think the game is ending in a month

Some of these people are the ones that seem to have started trying to bail out before the "time is up"

These people make up most of the demand, while the supply is likely stable (or up a bit post krono deals)
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  15. Cannikin Elder

Getting back to the OP's question, I recognized exactly when the fall in krono prices started: immediately after the anniversary krono sale DBG had not too long ago. People really loaded up. Since then there has been no shortage of people selling them in general chat on Xegony, often 5-10 kronos at a time. Supply goes up, demand stays the same (or goes down), price goes down.
  16. Cicelee Augur

What I would do to have Jeff's job. Heck pay me 1/4 of what Jeff makes and I am dancing on the ceiling...
  17. 31neelas New Member

Step 1: Decrease EQ playtime and EQ forum usage.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

Absolutely I agree that the implementation of the krono was sony/daybreaks way of getting a piece of the pie. A lot of changes they have made over the last 5 or 6 years have really been aimed at cutting into how RMT people make money and at the very least getting some of their profits. If you look at the changes to decap, HS, swarming, beam spells and then factor in that just after these massive changes HC's were introduced its pretty clear to me that they did this to try to take plat from the people doing PL and convert it into cash on their end via instant levels and skills. Chase loot also falls into this realm by helping to boost krono sales and then there are the yearly TLP servers that keep spinning up. As far as I am concerned all of these things help contribute to keeping the game around and any changes to them should only be positive ones that will increase their profits and hopefully provide us with a better and longer EQ gaming experience.
  19. AlmarsGuides Augur

I came back to Eq many many years ago when they introduced kronos and most likely would not be playing the game right now if they never had introduced them. I liked the idea of being able to use my ingame earnings to sub another character, it's what lead me to start boxing and it was the "hook" that got me to take the "bait" which is playing EQ. It was a brilliant idea and Daybreak/Sony has gotten at least 5 grand out of my pockets these last couple of years. It was such a good idea that WoW copied it in a sense with WoW Tokens.

It baffles me that so many people hate kronos but then I realize that they're the type of people that purposefully look for something to complain about. Kronos ain't going anywhere and you'll see almost every mmorpg in the future copy Kronos in one form or another.

Anyway, Riou was right a few posts up but err body just ignored him; Kronos prices are currently dropping cause some people think the game is going to end in a week or two. *Cough* google massivelyOP Daybreak for more info *Cough*
  20. Millianna Augur

Loot boxes are will not be around forever - the law is finally catching up. Similarly, currency like Krono will not be around forever.